Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A question for the fashion cognisenti about driving shoes. I really like how they look and think I would like to try a few pairs.

However, I am a solid burly muscular 5'11" and 260 (give or take) right now with 12eee feet. I don't mind going up a size or 2 in length to accomodate my wide forefoot.

Any other guys my size or so have experience with drivers? Good or bad?

I have my eye on a few pairs of the Cole Haan drivers that look really sharp.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Hunter

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love mine, but even at half your weight, I wouldn't want to wear them when carrying two heavy shopping bags. The support is absolutely minimal.
Think bedroom slippers. Not a shoe for anything tougher than a short pad to the baker's on a Sunday, for the office or at home. Or even driving!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It depends on what kind of soles the driving shoes have. Most have little rubber nubs on the bottom, they wear out fast if you actually walk around in them and are not reccomended for that purposes. But others come with rubber pads on the bottom, those are much better for walking around in. I have a pair of ecru colored Lanvin loafers with black rubber pads on the bottom that are great for walking around in. They don't offer much support, but whether you really need that much support or not is up to you.

Crockett & Jones also makes some really nice italian driving shoes with rubber pads on the bottom, I believe they're called the Verona. But they're not online or in their catalogue, AFAIK the only way to get them is visit a store or call their royal exchange store in London.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm also a bigger guy, and I've been thinking about getting a pair of driving shoes.

I would wear them for long drives (more than an hour), and I wouldn't do any more walking than going to rest stops on the highway or checking into hotels.

I think they'd also be cool for Sunday drives, and maybe gettiing out of the car to gawk at scenery or to go into a restaurant for lunch or refreshments.

I can't imagine walking more than a few hundred feet in them, though.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm wondering whether flimsy shoes with no heel would look right if one is too portly. Something more substantial might provide better balance, at least visually. And, yes, you'll probably go through them like a vindaloo through a labrador, if you're not careful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait :)

Let's not go so far as "portly"! :icon_smile_wink:

I am a burly muscular guy with relatively low bodyfat for my weight. I take about a 50+ jacket and 38 waist, my legs/butt/calves are tree trunks.

I'm wondering whether flimsy shoes with no heel would look right if one is too portly. Something more substantial might provide better balance, at least visually. And, yes, you'll probably go through them like a vindaloo through a labrador, if you're not careful.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Santoni Galvin

Check out the Santoni Galvin. I have them in black, but they also come in brown. They are are Venetian-style loafers with a rubber driving sole. According to the folks at the Santoni store on Madison Ave., they can be resoled.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Let's not go so far as "portly"! :icon_smile_wink:

I am a burly muscular guy with relatively low bodyfat for my weight. I take about a 50+ jacket and 38 waist, my legs/butt/calves are tree trunks.
The problem isnt whether you are "portly" or "burly", it is the EEE in your shoe size. Driving shoes are flimsy enough on men with narrow feet. Shoving a foot as wide as yours into one, is just asking to tear them apart in a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HunterH,

I am also a 'burly guy'. 6' 1" and about 280. I love driving shoes! But to be honest I suggest you pass on them. My experience has been that they don't provide enough support for us...' men of substance' :icon_smile:. Unless you just plan on using them around the house or long distance driving

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.