Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm newcomer to this board so if something like this has already been asked, my apologies. I had the good fortune recently of coming into a pair of older, black leather Gucci loafers, in very decent shape, with what I've learned from this board are called horsebits - pretty much the quintessential Gucci loafer as I imagine them.

I'm not really sure how to wear them, honestly, but I do like them. By far they are the most "designer" thing I own. (The descriptions of trad on this forum describe the way I dress almost perfectly.) So here's my dilemma: As a law school-bound college senior, I want to spend this summer doing something mentally undemanding to save some money but also to kick back a bit, so I've been applying for waitstaff jobs at a few country clubs where we have a summer house. I've got an interview coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to wear the Gucci's to the interview, with, say a blue blazer, khakis, and prep school tie.

It's a nice club, so I want to present myself as polished, but I'm also aware that club manager types are observant of things like watches, shoes, etc. and I wouldn't want to risk coming across as over-privileged/unmotivated because of the connotations Gucci's carry. Should I stick to my Haans or even Sperrys, or would the potential benefits outweigh the risks?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would leave the bits at home for the interview. Replace them with simple brown oxfords. As for what to wear the bits with, pair them charcoal slacks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm not sure what others think. But, regardless of the job, if you feel the formality of the interview process necessitates a tie, then I would wear lace-up shoes (and probably not Sperry Topsiders).

·
Registered
61 Posts
If these are just throw-away kickers, then I think burgundy bass weejuns would be perfect for the interview process.

As an added bonus, they will do nicely for the semi-formal events and SBA parties and other functions throughout your first year of law school. Indeed, with a pair of chinos they can be your daily workhorse law school shoe.

That being said, depending on where you go to law school burgundy loafers on a daily basis will either be a natural fit or will make you stand out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I don't think its the Guccis that are the problem so much as the color. If you are going to wear something like you described (which sounds good to me having worked in over 12 food service establishments before graduating from college) you need brown shoes.

I normally wouldn't advocate a jacket and tie for a restaurant interview, but this is at a country club. Navy blazer, OCBD, repp tie, chinos, and some sort of brown or burgundy loafer should work - classic, completely transcendent of any class conotations if done correctly.

Do you have penny loafers?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I don't think its the Guccis that are the problem so much as the color. If you are going to wear something like you described (which sounds good to me having worked in over 12 food service establishments before graduating from college) you need brown shoes.

I normally wouldn't advocate a jacket and tie for a restaurant interview, but this is at a country club. Navy blazer, OCBD, repp tie, chinos, and some sort of brown or burgundy loafer should work - classic, completely transcendent of any class conotations if done correctly.

Do you have penny loafers?
I replied before I saw this response. I do have a pair of penny loafers - I assume either would work for the purposes of the interview. One question though - what is an OCBD?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^

Wear the penny loafers with the outfit you and I described and you should be suitably presentable.

To the original point: Some others here seem to think the Gucci bit loafer is pretentious. Personally I think the Gucci bit loafer is one of the most classic loafers on the market. They have indeed been around for years. I find the actual bit ornamentation to be no more or less ostentatious than, say, tassels (i.e. not very ostentatious at all).

You have stumbled across a great pair of shoes that are, unfortunately, limited in their use by virtue of color. Wear them in more formal situation where a loafer is still appropriate (i.e.: casual Friday if you aren't opposed to wearing black shoes before 6PM).

They will also make tremendous shoes for going out at night. An ideal choice for a stylish trip to the bar or dinner.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Why would someone be opposed to black shoes during the day?
Well there's that old adage "Brown before 6, black after 6"...

Personally, I have much more of an issue with wearing brown after 6. Don't really care what I wear during the day. I'm wearing black captoes right now. But some people are sticklers for funny rules.

Either way, I think a blazer/chino combo really calls for brown, regardless of the time of day. Its just too inherently casual for black shoes IMO...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.