Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer a clean look for suits - 3/2 sack, narrow lapels, no pleats, no cuffs, why am I wearing a dress shirt with pleats? Does anyone know a shirtmaker that does this? Do I have to go custom? Can it even be done right?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I assume you are talking about pleats on the sleaves. The problem is your wrists are less wide than your upper arm so the fabric has to be dealt with at your cuff using some method. Brooks Brothers uses their "signature shirring" which does not have a distinct pleat but gathers the fabric into many small pleats which can create a bit of a distinct "puff" where the cuff attaches to the sleeve. Turnbull and Asser do something similar if I recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wrists are less wide than your upper arm so the fabric has to be dealt with at your cuff using some method.
I'm no tailor but surely that can be achieved with using pleats and just cutting the sleeve appropriately. If needed, why not use darts?

In any case, i've never seen shirts do anything else other than pleats. would be interesting to see something different for a change.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
No back pleats is common. The only ones I've seen without sleeve pleats are some western riding shirts. I have, however, seen some slimmer fit dress shirts that have only one sleeve pleat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You never take your jacket off? Ever? People don't see much of your socks either, so what? I'm talking about creating a clean modernist look from head to feet. No pleats, no cuffs, no wingtips, solid neckties etc. Nothing unnecessary. I may have gone too far for the Ask Andy crowd! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You never take your jacket off? Ever? People don't see much of your socks either, so what? I'm talking about creating a clean modernist look from head to feet. No pleats, no cuffs, no wingtips, solid neckties etc. Nothing unnecessary. I may have gone too far for the Ask Andy crowd! :icon_smile_big:
Way too hardcore...nearing crazy if you ask me. :eek:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I mean no pleats at all, back or sleeves. I'm not even sure it can be done right that's why I'm asking.
A custom shirtmaker might be able to answer this. I can't say as I've heard of a dress shirt without pleats or shirring at the cuffs....

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you're wearing a suit you don't take the jacket off. Period.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mytailor.com. My taste is pretty similar, although I don't like sack suits. All my shirts from Mytailors are made without pleats on the back, minimal placket on the front, no breast pocket, etc. You can't beat it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You state your looking for nothing unnecessary, however to get the forearm of the shirt to fit and the wrist of the shirt to fit at least one pleat may be necessary. It would depend on your specific arm shape, and you'd probably have to go custom to find that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.