Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone

I was about to buy a black dress overcoat, but I am started to think that maybe black is not the best color, maybe gray or dark grey can be more esay to combine. Do you think black is a proper and elegant color for a coat?

Best regards

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hello to everyone

I was about to buy a black dress overcoat, but I am started to think that maybe black is not the best color, maybe gray or dark grey can be more esay to combine. Do you think black is a proper and elegant color for a coat?

Best regards
I have a black car coat, maybe a tad longer than a car coat, to my knees and it works well. For a true overcoat I have a brown herringbone ragland sleeve that I got at BB a year or two ago. If I was to do it again the black would be charcoal or camel. In my size, a short, I do not always have the choices I would like, still, these both serve my purposes well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I personally am not a fan of black so my personal opinion would be to go with another color. I have a dark camel chesterfield with an olive velvet collar that falls about mid calf that I wear with suits and also a greenish grey covert that falls to about my knees that I wear with a blazer and sometimes a suit. Both of these work for me because I tend to wear shoes in different shades of brown so both coats go well with my shoe choices as well.

If you like the darker colors I would suggest a charcoal or navy blue as I think both are more versatile according to me than black.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Hello to everyone

Do you think black is a proper and elegant color for a coat?

Best regards
Does a bear s**t in the woods? :icon_smile_wink:

Black is the most formal on all occasions and when worn with formal evening wear also the most elegant. Also devasatingly cool over jeans and other casual wear. I have 3 black overcoats

Navy is also very elegant, also a fully acceptable formal colour since as far back as anyone can remember. And for me the most versatile. I have a navy Crombie that I've worn over black tie and light grey and grey-blue suits to good effect.

I'd never wear a grey coat, for me it's just too informal for formal use, and too boring in colour for casual use; but that's just me as a Brit speaking.

I also have a covert coat that looks great over formal wear and semi-formal office wear. But looks awful with jeans, cords or other casual wear. So not versatile at all. And I think the same can be said for any and all coats in the sand, covert, camel, stone, brown range of shades.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a black single breasted overcoat and a camel double breasted. I find myself wearing the camel more, but I don't have many formal occasions (and in fact wear an even less formal old windowpane brownish/charcoalish overcoat most of the time).

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
My one dress overcoat is black. All of my dress clothing is in the grey/black/navy families and the black coat works fine. Also, as someone said, the black coat crosses over to casual wear such as jeans very nicely.

I like camel overcoats, but not on me. They come across a little flashier than I like for myself as I try to be somewhat nondescript and blend in.

Cruiser

·
Registered
130 Posts
My one dress overcoat is black. All of my dress clothing is in the grey/black/navy families and the black coat works fine. Also, as someone said, the black coat crosses over to casual wear such as jeans very nicely.

I like camel overcoats, but not on me. They come across a little flashier than I like for myself as I try to be somewhat nondescript and blend in.

Cruiser
I like my camel overcoat exactly for the reasons you stay away from them. It's camel (obviously), double breasted, and has peak lapels (plus the shoulders are more padded than either of my other overcoats). It's a bolder statement when I wear it, and I like that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answers. I was taking a look at the web sites: boss, burberry, zegna, corneliani and the all seem to move in the navy, grey or charcoal range , so that´s why I was doubting over black, thinking it could be old fashion now.

is completely right is really cool with jeans and can be very formal with the proper suit.

best regards

·
Registered
748 Posts

I also have a covert coat that looks great over formal wear and semi-formal office wear. But looks awful with jeans, cords or other casual wear. So not versatile at all. And I think the same can be said for any and all coats in the sand, covert, camel, stone, brown range of shades.
You mean sand, covert, camel, stone and brown shades look awful with jeans , cords and other casual wear do you mean?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like a medium gray color rather than a charcoal when it comes to a simple single, or double breasted wool top coat. Although, I have a charcoal chesterfield and I love it....so I suppose both shades of gray are acceptable. I just like the charcoal better with the structure and design of a chesterfield, over a 'regular' top coat. I hope this makes sense, it did in my head. lol

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Interesting perspective. As an American, and as some have said, I'd avoid black except for formal occasions. Most functional for business dress is probably charcoal gray.

My personal choices are camel and warmer brown earth tones. To be really traditional, I'd look to warm tones in tweeds/herringbones.

Black is the most formal on all occasions and when worn with formal evening wear also the most elegant. Also devasatingly cool over jeans and other casual wear. I have 3 black overcoats

Navy is also very elegant, also a fully acceptable formal colour since as far back as anyone can remember. And for me the most versatile. I have a navy Crombie that I've worn over black tie and light grey and grey-blue suits to good effect.

I'd never wear a grey coat, for me it's just too informal for formal use, and too boring in colour for casual use; but that's just me as a Brit speaking.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very uch for your help. I used to like black, but now I am starting to see grey or charcoal as better options to combine with. Makes sense than black with suits is a very formal combination And I think that black with jeans etc. can be a rock and roll style sort of thing, more than a nice leisure combination, maybe mid grey tones are better for that

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks very uch for your help. I used to like black, but now I am starting to see grey or charcoal as better options to combine with. Makes sense than black with suits is a very formal combination And I think that black with jeans etc. can be a rock and roll style sort of thing, more than a nice leisure combination, maybe mid grey tones are better for that
All i can say maltess is that im after a grey coat as well. Black is on the backburner for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
interesting

After the lambasting that a few of us took on my thread regarding black pants, it is refreshing to see some more varied and gentle opinions on the black overcoat.
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=89167
Only IMHO, I think that the black overcoat is the one to have, if you can have only one. Indeed, it covers you from formal to casual. Mine is a cashmere car coat that I got as a hand-me-down. It carries the label "Harcourt and James for Field Brothers" and is wearing like iron in its 30-plus years. In only slight deference to the black-detractors, I will admit that I don't wear it with the black pants, except for formal wear. Bill
p.s. I would appreciate anyone's comment on the label that I mentioned. I had started a thread on this a while ago, with no takers........

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wear both a camel single breasted and a navy double breasted crombie coat most often during the cold months. I too wanted a darker more formal coat especially while wearing a tuxedo, but also just for more office formal wear where the crombie didn’t seem right to me (I don’t like wearing it with the black of my tuxedo, it just doesn’t seem “right”).

I ended up getting a deep charcoal Arnold Brandt overcoat made from 85% cashmere and 15% mink from STP (for a steal!). It’s exactly what I was looking for, goes about 2-3 inches below my knees (I’m 5’11” with a 31” inseam) and has a hand that is amazing. Never seen a fabric quite like it. VERY warm, quite formal, and looks like much more of a special occasion jacket (to me anyways).

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was doing an experiment today on my travel to work and back. I wanted to notice the colour of overcoat people wore.
Most people i saw wore black and then charcoalish grey. And then i would say Navy was there or thereabouts. Camel coloured coats i could count on one hand probably.

Which leads me to ask. Where most likely are you to see people, or what kind of people wear Camel coloured coats?

I'll start the reply by saying at the horse races. That may have been a bad first reply.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.