Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I currently go to a school with no dress code and most students go to school in sweatpants and a hoodie, I enjoy wearing nice things as I think it is more comfortable wearing a good suit/sport coat than jeans. Is it appropriate to be wearing a sport coat and a button down in such a casual environment? I do get more respect from teachers and the like, but less from my peers.

-Ghost02

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hello everyone!

I currently go to a school with no dress code and most students go to school in sweatpants and a hoodie, I enjoy wearing nice things as I think it is more comfortable wearing a good suit/sport coat than jeans. Is it appropriate to be wearing a sport coat and a button down in such a casual environment? I do get more respect from teachers and the like, but less from my peers.

-Ghost02
Depends. Are you a "cool" guy, or are you a "dweeb?" If you're cool, and recognized as such, you may start a trend, though some may mock you. If you're a dweeb, you're dead meat. Same applies to girls, if relevant. This is all assuming your school is a nice suburban school somewhere. If it's otherwise, all bets are off.

Of course, if you're 6'3" 240, or so, and your nickname is killer, you get to wear what you want. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't wear a suit but you should be able to pull off a buttondown and a coat. I went to a private highschool where we all wore shirts, ties, sport coats, khakis, and brown or black shoes. Now I go to college and am looked at funny if I wear a collared shirt and a coat to class.

I wore a half decent pair of pants, a buttondown, a sweater, and a navy sport coat to a discussion panel about the financial crisis tonight and had people make comments about being "all dressed up" :icon_headagainstwal

·
Registered
356 Posts
are we talking high school or college?

In high school I was much more worried about fitting, in college through the last two years of undergrad and these two of grad school I wear a suit and tie almost every day. I might get a funny look or two, but I like to think I wear it well and get respect and most people expect to see me dressed as such, and comment when I'm not.

As with anything else, if you do it with confidence and style people think it's intentional and start to wonder what's wrong with them that they aren't that way.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree. If you dress a lot better than the norm (especially ties) you had better be ready to deal with some social pressure.
A+ :icon_smile: I deal with that daily on weekends when we go out. Society in my opinion has a view that if you are dressed up wether it be in a suit and tie or just dress slacks where everyone else is in jeans you are way over dressed and trying to show off even though your suit/ clothes may be from wal mart or you feel your most confy and confident wearing that stuff.

In my case being raised around fashion and having a enjoyment and love for it, I feel very confly wearing suits no matter the occasions, and feel great about myself when I dress sharp. Hense there are no jeans in my closet. :cool:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Constricting?

Just remember that a tie is a liability in a fight:icon_smile:

Can't you find anything else that you would feel "comfortable and confident" in, short of tie and coat and nicer than tee and jeans?

For instance, I've seen some very smart sweater-jackets that fit like they are tailored and which, coupled with micro-wale cords and nice shoes, would go well with the button down Oxford (sans tie) and not look like you were an escapee from a prep school teachers' lounge.

https://www.barneys.com/Mock Neck Sweater/07916.5653,default,pd.html

https://www.barneys.com/Hawthorne Jacket/05840.5558,default,pd.html

Save the professorial look for dates. Your date will appreciate that you dressed up, and you will avoid having your nice duds tarnished in a fist fight:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how an all boys private school doesn't have a dress code.

That said, can't you straddle the middle somewhere? A sport coat and jeans (you seem to imply you don't wear jeans at all)? A polo shirt with the sport coat? I realize you want to dress nicely but this doesn't have to be binary -- either suits or sweat clothes -- and being over-dressed in a social context can be just as much of a style error as being under-dressed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are liberal, enough said. I don't wear ties, I mean something like a sportcoat and khakies with a blue button down. Occasionally I wear jeans, but I just can't bring myself to dress down that much often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.