Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were I living in a colder climate, and a bit older, I believe I could pull this off. It is quite a dramatic piece, but the sleeves make it not quite so costumey looking.

This polo coat would be much easier to wear, but is close to being over the top, given the designer is Tommy Nutter:

· Registered
5,808 Posts
If you wore the cape you'd look like a fool. In any case, it's a military garment, still with rank badges, and should not be worn by anyone who isn't entitled to wear it (and splashing out $$$ doesn't entitle anyone to wear it). It's a collector's item only.

The wrap coat, on the other hand, is magnificent (it's not a polo coat, despite what the website says).

Thanks for posting these links!

Reactions: Anubis

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
So what period is that first coat from? Looks like something from the 19th century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The text at the link says it's an officer's coat from the '40's, and I have no reason to think otherwise. I've seen similar coats worn to the opera in historic photos. I'm not certain that one needs to either be a military officer, or have been one, but it seems possible that otherwise the overall impression left by one might be poseur.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you wore the cape you'd look like a fool. In any case, it's a military garment, still with rank badges, and should not be worn by anyone who isn't entitled to wear it (and splashing out $$$ doesn't entitle anyone to wear it). It's a collector's item only.

The wrap coat, on the other hand, is magnificent (it's not a polo coat, despite what the website says).

Thanks for posting these links!
I suppose it is a polo style only because it is a wrap, although it isn't camel.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
The text at the link says it's an officer's coat from the '40's, and I have no reason to think otherwise. I've seen similar coats worn to the opera in historic photos. I'm not certain that one needs to either be a military officer, or have been one, but it seems possible that otherwise the overall impression left by one might be poseur.
I guess I could have clicked the link myself. Ive reached new heights of laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,808 Posts
I suppose it is a polo style only because it is a wrap, although it isn't camel.
I have a thread around here somewhere which focuses on polo coats and they're a much different thing. I'm surprised that website got the nomenclature wrong.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
It's more or less the same type of garment as William is wearing in the photo below (he's in Blues & Royals uniform). It's an officer's cloak worn by cavalry officers. William is actually wearing it incorrectly: on foot, he should have buttoned it all the way over to the outer row of buttons; he's wearing it as it should be buttoned when on horseback (useless trivia). These cloaks are only worn by the Household Cavalry today, plus some bands, etc, but from what I've seen they were more common pre-WW2.

I actually own one of the Life Guards red ones and it's an amazing garment, a huge piece of high quality wool, but totally not wearable by civilians!

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,125 Posts
I can believe that. Those fabulous uniform coats have fabulous prices. However, 'way back in the 60's, when I was in college, surplus USAF full-length overcoats were considered tre chic among the penurious. I opted for down fill, myself.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^"It's a world of laughter;
A world of tears.
It's a world of hope
and a world of fears.
There's so much that we share,
that it's time we're aware;
t's a small world after all."

As an AFROTC cadet at Penn State back in the 60's the Detachment gave we cadets those old, heavy weight Great Coats, as they phased in the redesigned, more streamlined officers overcoats for issue. As I recall, the damned things (the horse blankets) weighed six or eight pounds...that's a whole lot of wool! Had to wait until SAC assigned me to a Northern Tier Base to get one of the down filled parkas with the wolf fur ruff around the hood of the parka. Nice coat, but it was actually too darned cold to enjoy it! LOL. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.