Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With number two on the way and due in September, my modest two bedroom apartment is in need of a spacial overhaul. Seeing that most of the space in here is taken up with my clothes, I'm the one that needs to downsize and get rid of a lot. Meaning storing it over the bridge at my parents place.

I'm not interested in judgements based on what I do have, and if you're motivated enough, you can do a search to find that info, but was more curious about what you think someone needs. Please be specific regarding colors, patterns, ect...

I think I'm going to keep all my shirts and ties (~50 dress shirts ~100 ties, plus 15 or so casual shirts), because they can be mixed and matched to make a smaller amount of jackets/suits/trousers look like more while taking up less space. I'm also 31, so I will be keeping about 8 pair of jeans here, but as for the rest what would you think "necessary"*

*by necessary I mean by our borderline obsessive AAAC standards necessary, not your typical American necessary*

Again, some info that may be helpful:

I'm 31, physically fit, a public school history teacher, and I live in Brooklyn, NY.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
You mentioned the numbers of shirts/ties, but how many suits, sportcoats/blazers, and trousers do you want to keep on hand?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mentioned the numbers of shirts/ties, but how many suits, sportcoats/blazers, and trousers do you want to keep on hand?
Thats what I'm wondering...for me I tend to err on the side of having too many, but I will try and base my downsizing with help from what you guys think is "necessary" by our standards. I really don't need many suits, as I tend to wear more sportcoats and trousers at my job rather than suits, but will always throw one in every so often. I think a solid Navy, my tux, and a black funeral suit...but I also have a brown, a brown plaid, and a silvery grey cotton silk job.

·
Site Creator
11,754 Posts
rgrossicone:

We may all be downsizing soon. After the purge consider some storage solutions.

One thought is those vacuum bags ("As Seen On TV")! I've used them for seasonal storage of shirts, trousers, sweaters and they work very well.

It's amazing once you get your clothes in the bag and use the vacuum cleaner on the bag, how small you can shrink the clothes down without the excess air.

Also under bed storage boxes work well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thats what I'm wondering...for me I tend to err on the side of having too many, but I will try and base my downsizing with help from what you guys think is "necessary" by our standards. I really don't need many suits, as I tend to wear more sportcoats and trousers at my job rather than suits, but will always throw one in every so often. I think a solid Navy, my tux, and a black funeral suit...but I also have a brown, a brown plaid, and a silvery grey cotton silk job.
Given that you have 50 dress shirts, do you really think getting rid of some of your six suits is going to save you a lot of space? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rgrossicone:

We may all be downsizing soon. After the purge consider some storage solutions.

One thought is those vacuum bags ("As Seen On TV")! I've used them for seasonal storage of shirts, trousers, sweaters and they work very well.

It's amazing once you get your clothes in the bag and use the vacuum cleaner on the bag, how small you can shrink the clothes down without the excess air.

Also under bed storage boxes work well.

Good luck!
My wife swears by them...they are pretty amazing. As far as under bed storage, then where would I put my shoes?:icon_smile_big:

I'm lucky to have parents who have a big freaking house...lots of rooms and lots of places to hang clothing with ample space for them to breathe. Chosing what to bring there is my problem.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I love your wardrobe, and frankly you can't spare anything. :icon_smile_big:

I guess if you need to get rid of things, take a look through your sportcoats and pick out the ones you rarely/never wear and send them over to me. Also, check your shirt collection and ween out some shirts that are very similar or that you have doubles of. I have this problem, there are so many shirts I have that are quite similar...but I can't get myself to do anything about it. As for sweaters, I'd just keep a couple warm chunky ones for winter, a few v-necks in various colors, and perhaps a half a dozen or so cardigans. Purchase some space bags for your seasonal things, and store them at your parents house or underneath a bed at your house. I've never used space bags before, but the infomercials have entertained me a few times and they seem like they are a good idea. Good luck, but don't get rid of too much because you have too many neat clothing items.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given that you have 50 dress shirts, do you really think getting rid of some of your six suits is going to save you a lot of space? Am I missing something here?
Yes...thats what I think I'll keep, the six, I have about 25 suits.

But again...

THIS ISN'T ABOUT WHAT I HAVE NOW, but what you consider to be ample for one of us...no one has offered any suggestions yet.

Forget I mentioned how many of anything I had. Point is, I don't want to know what a decent wardrobe should be TO START WITH, but to finish with for someone like me.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love your wardrobe, and frankly you can't spare anything. :icon_smile_big:

I guess if you need to get rid of things, take a look through your sportcoats and pick out the ones you rarely/never wear and send them over to me. Also, check your shirt collection and ween out some shirts that are very similar or that you have doubles of. I have this problem, there are so many shirts I have that are quite similar...but I can't get myself to do anything about it. As for sweaters, I'd just keep a couple warm chunky ones for winter, a few v-necks in various colors, and perhaps a half a dozen or so cardigans. Purchase some space bags for your seasonal things, and store them at your parents house or underneath a bed at your house. I've never used space bags before, but the infomercials have entertained me a few times and they seem like they are a good idea. Good luck, but don't get rid of too much because you have too many neat clothing items.
Thanks Mannix...you're no help at all! :icon_smile_big: (making me want to keep it all!)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks Mannix...you're no help at all! :icon_smile_big: (making me want to keep it all!)
I also mentioned that you could sent it my way...IIRC we're the same chest size but I take a regular for sleeve length.

In all honesty I'd keep the shirts, except if you have some really wild patterned ones or something like that. I like lots of options, so I tend to keep every piece of clothing.

Since you have 25 suits I suppose you could downsize those a little bit...there's only so many glen plaid/patterned suits one can have....what am I saying?!?!?:eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
You have the option to store things at your parents' place, which isn't too far away. So, I'd say just go with a weekly wardrobe that you can mix and match well. Maybe 2-3 suits, two blazers, a few pairs of chinos, and maybe 3-4 pairs of those 8 pairs of jeans. You might wear them for casual Friday and the weekend. And 50 dress shirts. You don't need 50. You'd probably be just fine with a solid 20. 10 in solids like white, blue, and pink. 5 in other solid colors, and 5 in various patterns that you like. The tux and funeral suit can stay at your parents' place. Unless you're a secret agent, in which case, I'm guessing your cover wouldn't be high school history teacher, you're not going to need either of those two things at a moment's notice.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rather than focus on numbers, try thinning the racks by focusing on what your really like form your wardrobe. Throw out the duds first and what you need to keep will be clearer.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would split your clothes into two groups: spring-summer and autumn-winter, excluding some items (the less items in this group the better) that can be worn in both seasons like jeans. This should potentially free up half your wardrobe and keep them stored at your parents, change after clothes around after the seasons.

For example, with the 50 shirts:
i. 25 shirts for SS and 25 for AW
or
ii. 20 shirts for SS, 20 for AW; with 10 that you keep for both seasons.

Most sweaters should be stored for the SS seasons, but more t-shirts would come into rotation; by doing this for everything, it will free up space. Shoes would be tricky but if you half your rotation for that season, it will give you more space at home.

Each season have 12-13 suits, 25 shirts, 50 ties.

As mentioned you above, get rid of anything you do not need. With such a large rotation, there must be a good number of items that you have not worn for years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is all you need you want to go very minimal IMO :

5-7 pairs of trousers e.g. khakis and gray wool pants

12 button down shirts : 6 white and shades of white (cream) 3 botton down collars and 3 non-button down collars. 6 blue shirts (different shades) 3 button down collars and 3 non-button down collars. You could also have some in blue and white and/or white and black striped if you wanted I guess and maybe a few french cuff shirts for the suits. However, you don't really need the french cuff shirts if you are trying to be minimal. You might also want some of those button downed shirts in blue to be patterned to be less formal looking when you want to be very casual looking (since button down collared shirts are less formal anyway).

A selection of ties (silk and textured wool)

A selection of hats

4 pairs of shoes : 2 bluchers (black and burgundy) and 2 balmorals (for suits) (black and burgundy). Spectators/saddle shoes are an extravagance. Although you could probably get away with just two pairs of shoes in black and burgundy if you don't care about being very sophisticated.

3 sports coats or 2 sports coats and a blazer : navy blazer or black sports coat. Tweed sports coat for winter and seersucker for summer or khaki or blue cotton for summer.

cotton or linen pocket squares with different colors or color patterns

one or two suits in blue or gray. Maybe even three suits if you want a seersucker or linen one for summer. Do not have a double-breasted suit as your one and only suit though. You shouldn't be wearing suits everyday if you are a teacher. A sports coat and trousers are fine. If someone was in a position where they had to wear a suit to work everyday I would recommend more suits. Most men don't wear suits often (just to funerals, weddings and job interviews etc..) and you can easily rent formal wear like a Tux. If you do buy a Tux do not spend alot of money on it since most men look the same anyway. Most men do not even need formal wear nowadays.If you were and old man and retired I might actually recommend wearing a suit everyday you go into public and therefore wearing only suits. However, you are not that old or retired obviously.

You can do little tricks like rotating ties, wearing suspenders, adding a hat and different colored pocket square or no pocket square at all, wearing a button down collar or non-button down collar etc.. to make it look like you have a huge wardrobe yet not look so different day to day to come off looking like a loon. When one of those items wears out just replace it. You might also want like a traditional raincoat as well and maybe some sweaters for winter etc..

That should take up no more than like 18-25 inches of closet space (not counting the hats)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Aside from specialty items like a tux or black funeral suit why not group your suits and jackets into mixed batches of 6 with an assortment of the basics in each group and then every couple of months take one batch over to your folks house and swap it for another.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
With the right closet customization, you can as much as double your present storage capacity. That would be my first steps in this process of "downsizing"! BTW, I thought we couldn't use that kind of language in these fora? ;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the numerical suggestions! I don't really have any duds that I don't like, with the exception of a few novelty pants that are already moved...I guess I just have to see which ones I really enjoy wearing and which one's i'm just eh about.
Hopefully this'll be done soon...will let you know what I eventually end up doing (maybe winning the lottery and getting a bigger place!)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have way more clothes than space.

Like you, I believe in keeping most or all dress shirts and ties, you never know when you may need them. Pants and jeans can always be converted into work clothes i.e. "work around the house, yard work", etc. So the main issue is/was suits, blazers, and coats.

My first stage of downsizing was eliminating everything that no longer fit me. If I REALLY REALLY liked it, I took it to the tailor, tried it on, and asked the simple question "worth it or not worth it". Everything that didnt fit, and wasnt worth altering to fit, went on the eBay/Craigslist/give away pile.

Next step was going through styles I am no longer crazy about. In my case this was things like suits with more than 3 buttons, sweaters with patterns. Anything I would no longer buy if I saw it at the thrift store (or department store, or eBay) went in the pile. It's hard to part with stuff "well maybe I'll wear it again" but the "I wouldnt buy it if I saw it today" is a GREAT gauge.

You'd be surprised at how big the pile can get just from these two.

The next step is to get a canvas wardrobe and put it in storage. Anything out of season (linen suits/blazers in the winter, cordoroy in the summer, etc) goes down here. Anything waiting on alterations/accessories ("I cant wear this suit until I find the right tie") goes down here.

After this point I found I STILL didnt have enough room, so I bought another canvas wardrobe and put it in the hallway.

I tried the vacuum bags, but of the 6 I bought, 5 ultimately sprung leaks. Plus the wrinkles they cause can be very hard to get out.

If the above suggestions havent eliminated enough stuff, let me throw this question into the equation: what do you wear on a weekly basis? Do you wear suits to work? To church? etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.