Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I don't 100% feel this way, but the author of this piece in the Wall Street Journal, certainly has a point:

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB123751483315591559.html#mod=rss_Lifestyle

Interesting quotes from the article:

Never has a single fabric done so little for so many. Denim is hot, uncomfortable and uniquely unsuited to people who spend most of their waking hours punching keys instead of cows. It looks bad on almost everyone who isn't thin, yet has somehow made itself the unofficial uniform of the fattest people in the world.

It's time denim was called on the carpet, for its crimes are legion. Denim, for instance, is an essential co-conspirator in the modern trend toward undifferentiated dressing, in which we all strive to look equally shabby no matter what the occasion. Despite its air of innocence, no fabric has ever been so insidiously effective at undermining national discipline.
There was a time, of course, when not everyone wore denim. In the 1950s, Bing Crosby was even refused entry to a Los Angeles hotel because he was wearing the stuff. (Levi Strauss obligingly ran him up a custom denim tuxedo so he wouldn't have that problem again.) By then denim was a symbol of youthful defiance, embraced by Marlon Brando, James Dean and -- well, just about every self-respecting rebel without a cause. Even Elvis, who didn't often wear denim in public during the early part of his career (like many Southerners, he associated it with rural poverty), eventually succumbed. Now we're all rebels, even a billionaire CEO like Steve Jobs, who wears blue jeans and a black turtleneck whenever unveiling new Apple Computer products.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Okay, so I don't 100% feel this way, but the author of this piece in the Wall Street Journal, certainly has a point:

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB123751483315591559.html#mod=rss_Lifestyle

Interesting quotes from the article:
Like anything, meanings and contexts change over time. Young and skinny rebels age and become fat normal people...but they wear the same clothing. I think denim is just what everyone wears because they can't bear to take the time and energy to think of anything else. Denim is easy. That said, it's all in how you wear it...it can be made crisp, precise and meaningful...or just shlubby.

It is funny though, that you can find yourself in public and usually most people will be wearing blue jeans. At least in the places I go :)

Danny

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great article.

Funny: you could substitute "denim" for "rock n' roll" and say nearly all the same things about the ubiquity of casual, chill, lights, and guitars in the contemporary American evangelical church.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I started wearing denim jeans in 1955 and have worn them on a regular basis ever since. I find them to be the most durable, comfortable, easy to maintain item of clothing that I own.

I currently have ten pairs and anytime the situation doesn't specifically call for something dressier, you will usually find me in a pair of jeans. My older more faded jeans are used for everyday wear and for doing chores while a couple of pairs of dark jeans are reserved for wear with a sport coat or blazer.

In my opinion jeans are the most utilitarian item of clothing ever produced. I would hate to have to live without them. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
316 Posts
well the thing I LIKE about denim is that you don't need to care for it. They look best rounded w/ no crease. If the kids get something on it, half the time you can't tell. If you step on the cuffs with your heels, it's not going to matter for months. You can paint in it and the spatter can actually add character to the garment. You can garden in it and the stress on the material can add character to the garment. It is the best looking truly casual material I know.

Denim can be compared with sweat pants and cargo pants and I think comes out ahead of both.

Denim, OCDB, and a corduroy blazer is totally acceptable.

If anything, what damaged fashion more than anything else was what damaged just about everything- sometime during the jazz age it became cool to "Slum" and act in a manner "beneath" one's "class." I presume this comes from the unfair treatment of African-Americans during the Jim Crow era and the realization during the Jazz explosion how wrong it all was. Add in the depression, the WW2 and the troubled veterans who had trouble coping with WW2 (look up the Boozefighters) and you wouldn't need to have to come near blaming the hippies for the jeans obsession. Remember that the early 1970s was far more corduroy than jeans anyway...

I think sweat shirts and sweat pants worn as something other than pajamas are a far far worse scourge on society's clothing.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Like anything, meanings and contexts change over time. Young and skinny rebels age and become fat normal people...but they wear the same clothing.
Quote of the day! :icon_smile_big:

Like any versatile clothing item, denim gets abused by people who find it easy to wear and really don't care to seek other options. Khakis got the same rap a few years ago. Personally, I think "wear and let wear," but there are some times you gotta put the jeans away.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Blue jeans are both a blessing and a curse. I agree with most of bbcrock's assessment, especially regarding sweat shirts and sweat pants.

Cruiser: Got any jeans from 1955? I would kill for a higher rise than is available now.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Blue jeans...

...make you look old. Like a retirement-age geezer embracing a fad, trying to look young. Best if you are obviously rickety and can hardly limp "from one couch to the next..." at the local old-folks bar...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Isn't there something disturbing about seeing folks older than, say, 60 wearing denim? It always looks undignified somehow. Please, greatest generation, leave the dungarees to the baby boomers.

For everyone else, denim is a casual staple, but I don't like seeing it as part of a semi-formal outfit. There's something forced about denim and a dress shoe, for example. Chinos or cords work a lot better, in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Isn't there something disturbing about seeing folks older than, say, 60 wearing denim? It always looks undignified somehow. Please, greatest generation, leave the dungarees to the baby boomers.

For everyone else, denim is a casual staple, but I don't like seeing it as part of a semi-formal outfit. There's something forced about denim and a dress shoe, for example. Chinos or cords work a lot better, in my opinion.
No. many of these folks have worn jeans all their lives. Why change at a certain age? There is no unwritten law. I'm not near that age but plan on wearing mine as they take me on a final trip to the morgue or emergency room.

I dress typically business casual (tie & sport coat) at work during the week. But on the evening & weekends you'll find me in my jeans, especially a real old pair when I'm puttzin with my vintage vette.

If I wear anything else my family will ask me why I'm all dressed up. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Jeans are a singularly versatile, go most places garment to be applauded. I wear regualrly in manner of situations and always will. They work for all ages, all races, all creeds.

The more faded the better for certain uses.

My bespoken suits have their place, so do my trousers (pants to Americans) but jeans occupy a pretty big one in my wardrobe.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
A 60 year old IS a baby boomer. The term "greatest generation" has been applied to those now in their 80's.

What's with some of you guys thinking that just because one is of a certain age he must put aside this or that item of clothing. Wouldn't this be more of a matter of things like individual appearance, lifestyle, etc., than some one size fits all rule?

I'm 60, but jeans fit into my lifestyle quite nicely. For example, I ride a motorcycle, drive a convertible, and have a very active lifestyle. Guys like me aren't trying to recapture youth as some here have said; we're just not going to stop living it solely because of the calendar.

If you don't personally like denim, that's OK; don't wear denim. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I wear jeans around the house and in very casual situations, even with a blazer (I'm wearing them as I type at this very moment). But anything more than the pizza parlor, Home Depot or the grocery store calls for me to wear khakis or slacks and a jacket.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm safely past 60--grew up in the SF East Bay Area (about 15 miles east of Gar1013), and have worn denim jeans for at least 90% of that period--in appropriate circumstances.

Yes, I have and wear dress and dress-casual clothing, but I still like being able to pull on a pair of denims and relax.

This may be a minority opinion on this Forum, but so be it.

Enjoy the weekend.

hbs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.