Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through mainly lack of knowledge and availability people seem to always wear single breasted waistcoats rather than double breasted.
I much prefer the lower cut of the double breasted - both examples I have on the link below are ones with shawl lapels and slight vase cut buttons.

The pinstripe is a heavy Blue flannel and the grey birdseye is a super 140 from B & O..

Anyone else favour the DB waistcoat or am I singing by myself on this one I would be interested to see all the other DB out there... please post photos... no doubt the Picture quality will be better than me taking photos with my Iphone....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cadandthedandy/sets/72157616378108307/show/with/3401844722/

·
Registered
13 Posts
I much prefer the look of double-breasted to single. They flatter the chest much more, especially if worn with a peak-lapel jacket. I'm planning on having such a suit made (light grey, one-button jacket w/ side vents, a 6x3 DB waistcoat, and pleated trousers). I'll post photos as soon as I have it made.

I'll have the waistcoat cut like this:
https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/AnthonyJordan_2006/My wardrobe/Picture408.jpg

Here's the look I want to evoke:
https://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71...35F8FA9CA92A60A2C494CFFCEAB9836CF19420219AD79

https://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71...35F8FA9CA92A641B5D6E14C1CF4E0FF3FE211717AB081

I'm with Sator on thinking that men's clothes looked best in the Edwardian era, so I'm trying my best to recreate this with a slightly modern flair. How would you wear your DB waistcoat?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those photos are all of me so really as per the photos.
A shawl collar, I dont like the buttons as aggressively vase shaped as the image you showed but thats just a personal choice. And also two pockets rather than the four would be my preference.

I was wearing a three piece in "the city" on the day of the riots and was rapidly accosted by a couple of television crews wanting to interview me to ask me if I was mad for not dressing down...A DB waistcoat certainly draws a few glances especially when those around are dressing down!!
Anyway the protesters walked with in a pace of me and seemed not to be the slightest bit phased..

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've never owned one, but the next waistcoat I have made will be one.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This thread is in desperate need of pictures. Maybe in another day or two I'll post my brown DB peak lapel vest.

Pictured is my DB shawl lapel vest with the London Lounge Triple Overcheck cloth (bespoke job by Nick the Greek in Huntington Park, California). The shirt too is a bespoke job by our very own Freddy Vandeecastle in Sherman Oaks, California

The vest was sent back for an additional fitting to be further perfected

Next time I'll use one or two less buttons and ask to increase the size of the shawl.

Due to my height and girth I stay away from Double breasted suits, but this vest raps me up so nicely and I really enjoy it

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I thought cardcaptor charlie's ascot 2009 morning dress score on ebay had a great one earlier today (link is to ebay auction scroll down for pic of vest):

I also think that your fellow countryman David Edwards has some nice ones here:

https://www.davidedward.co.uk/

As for myself I am a bit new to the odd vest and while I love the look I dont yet own one but would be thrilled to, it first requires certain basics to go with it which I am working on.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love DB waistcoats cos not many people wear them and they just add a bit more gravitas to the whole outfit.

But with DB, cut is crucial. I particularly like vintage ones that have that 'V' at the centre of the hem. It just makes the lines much more flattering and interesting especially with a morning coat creating a sort of 'M' shape rather than an 'A' configuration.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I love DB waistcoats cos not many people wear them and they just add a bit more gravitas to the whole outfit.

But with DB, cut is crucial. I particularly like vintage ones that have that 'V' at the centre of the hem. It just makes the lines much more flattering and interesting especially with a morning coat creating a sort of 'M' shape rather than an 'A' configuration.
Do DB waistcoats (if they are low cut enough, of course) also make the lines much more flattering and interesting with a tailcoat, creating sort of an "M" shape rather than an "A" configuration?

If so, how does this compare with DB waistcoats making the lines much more flattering and interesting with a morning coat, creating sort of an "M" shape rather than an "A" configuration?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Can DB waistcoats be worn for business?

Or, for business, are DB waistcoats perceived as or actually too much of the following: attention getting, bold, brash, classy, dressy, elegant, expensive looking, fancy, flamboyant, formal, luxurious or luxurious looking, overstated and striking?

I know that DB waistcoats are absolutely NOT any amount of the following: contemporary, fashion forward and trendy.

I also know that DB waistcoats are absolutely as much of the following as anything else: classic, non sporty or sporty, depending on the brand, tailor, etcetera, timeless and possibly traditional.

Also, for business, are DB waist coats perceived as or actually too little of the following: conservative, subtle, understated and under the radar?

I am in the United States of America. Things are often different in Europe (in the United Kingdom just as much as outside the United Kingdom) than they are in the USA and the rest of North America.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I like DB waistcoats or vests. would have more than one if I liked them with a 1 or 2 button suit. I think they look best with a three button.

Will post a picture tommorow.
I think the high stance of 3 button suits and waistcoat combination killed off peoples desire to wear waistcoats. A high jacket/waistcoat conceals to much of the shirt and tie for my liking. I know its a style more popular in the states perhaps but I think for the most part its a style people still seem to associate it with Gangsters/mobsters in the movies and a different style period than clothes they would actually wear themselves.
either way its good to get people wearing waistcoats whether SB or DB

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know that DB waistcoats are absolutely NOT any amount of the following: contemporary, fashion forward and trendy.
Totally disagree with that one. There is in the UK atleast a huge resurgence of waistcoats and the most fashion forward amongst them seem to don the DB. Other than for wedddings very few people come in for a single breasted waistcoat.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Or, for business, are DB waistcoats perceived as or actually too much of the following: attention getting, bold, brash, classy, dressy, elegant, expensive looking, fancy, flamboyant, formal, luxurious or luxurious looking, overstated and striking?
IMHO, no. Or at least no more than peak lapels on a SB jacket, or ticket pockets, or bold stripes or checks, or shirt colors other than white or blue. Only you can decide what you're comfortable wearing (and if you aren't comfortable, that will show and people will notice it).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

From the Royal Ascot races:
I was attempting to say, probably not very clearly that the SB with high button stance is a more American popular trend than the DB. As per your photos a double breasted is perhaps more English and is my preference.

Great photos though...pretty sizable lapels on Charles

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Sator, what's the white business peeking out from beneath HRH's grey waistcoat? I've seen this in several photos, and a few film passages, of very formally dressed men, but I can't tell what it is. Is it a second, white, waistcoat? Some sort of semi-detached lining layer of the WC? Enlighten me, sir!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I was attempting to say, probably not very clearly that the SB with high button stance is a more American popular trend than the DB.
Waistcoats with a high buttoning point are just old fashioned - more pre-WWI. You hardly see waistcoats in the US, let alone DB waistcoats, let alone Victorian and Edwardian styled waistcoats that button up like that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am looking for a buff coloured DB waistcoat to wear under my hunting pinks but most I have found are linen/silk for weddings/Ascot and clearly I need something warmer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.