Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago, I had this incredible longing for a double-breasted Burberry blazer. classic, 3-over-2, peak lapels.

I've gained weight since then, and am starting to get back down to where I can wear it. Would I look foolish if I did? I've always felt a bit Thurston Howell III in it.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"rather formal" -- EXCELLENT
"almost military" -- WONDERFUL
"can look ridiculous" -- ESPECIALLY WITH JEANS

I confess to a nasty anti-denim prejudice and I do thank the Gods that this remains the only fashion offense that still manages to get someone kicked out of the Yale Club.

And would it kill you to wear a tie once in a while?
You needn't worry about me... (for one thing, I use words like "needn't." :icon_smile:)

I own two pairs of jeans, which I never wear. I painted my garage in chinos.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This little rant requires some unpacking. Jeans were not, in fact, mocked by the OPH. They are recommended in various forms and at various times. Note the picture of the skier. He wears denim and in cold weather at that.
I found no other reference to jeans in my OPH (11th printing) other than the picture of the skier.

The line referred to in this discussion is:

Straight-legged Levi's. Even though he drives to ski-resort in heated Saab with tape-deck and stays in family's lavish ski house, he can rough it in cotton leggings, which don't really segue into boots.

My interpretation is that she's referring to jeans as "cotton leggings,' which are inappropriate in all but the must harsh rural environments (such as a ski trail). The fact that he is in comfort if not luxury at all times when not on the trail is noted as ironic. The last part refers to the fact that, unlike "ski pants," they are not worn tucked neatly into the boots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.