Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if stock will be the same from store-to-store, but I saw a lot of the clothes mentioned here at steep discount. Not my style (got a LOT of Christmas presents for others), but some of the stuff I saw was:

Madras jackets

Striped/tattersall/solid BD shirts

Neckties

A few pants in white

Ask a cashier for a F&F discount coupon for an extra 20% off starting Sunday 10/26. There's some other stuff that might pass muster here like the Dockers polos or Van Heusen shirts. Did see a couple nice Izod split-yoke shirts in 18/36.

I did find a pair of Sperry Top-Siders @ Dillards for $20.70 :confused: in my size, which I got.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
A few years back, J.C. Penney used to have nice polo sweaters that were Italian wool. They were actually fairly nice and my father liked them a fair bit because they were always marked down to $1.00 when they had these massive sales.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the jury is still out on the American Living line @ JCP. I noticed that the Fall lineup did not include as many Flying Eagles as the spring lineup. Commentary following the lackluster sales of AL might've prompted Penney to rethink the logo eurphoria. A good idea. The style of the clothes are there. I just don't see why it's necessary to include the eagle on a OCBD, khakis, casual blazers, sweaters, etc. I am not entirely certain it is also necessary on a polo, but this is understood considering everyone and their brother does this.

Overall, the style of the clothes are spot on for folks who favor this style. In fact, I am certain that I saw shirts in Lord and Taylor with the polo label that were nearly identical to the stuff that JCP was pushing from AL.

I remember Ullmann saying that American Living will be JCP. We shall see.

I must say this, however, the Stafford line has been impressive as of late.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Definitely agree about the logos. When I see others wear logos, it's mostly sending the message "look what brand of clothes I have!" I personally can't picture many people loudly proclaiming their pride in wearing JCP products. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying they're low quality. Just that they are inexpensive and lower on the social ladder.

I plan on checking out what's left at my local store later today.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I actually thought there were more items in the fall line-up that had a logo on them. At least from my visit this past weekend compared to over the summer when I picked up 2 of the chino blazers, a dress shirt and madras shorts (all logo-less) on the cheap. It seemed like every pair of chinos or cords had an eagle on the back....even the cashmere sweaters had embroidered eagles.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My father likes some of the nice button-down shirts and sweaters that the new Stafford Premium line has this fall.

On another side, the downfall of American Living will be its elitism. Only select JC Penney stores carry this line, which is a mistake. The closest JC Penney store with American Living is about 2 hours and 20 minutes away from my house.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
On Monday I picked up an AL tie from the clearance table for $13.99. Yesterday the ties were still there and they were buy one, get one half off. I'm fully expecting deeper discounts when I check back on Friday/Saturday.

I work in the mall, BTW, which is why I'm able to check so frequently.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think the jury is still out on the American Living line @ JCP. I noticed that the Fall lineup did not include as many Flying Eagles as the spring lineup. Commentary following the lackluster sales of AL might've prompted Penney to rethink the logo eurphoria. A good idea. The style of the clothes are there. I just don't see why it's necessary to include the eagle on a OCBD, khakis, casual blazers, sweaters, etc. I am not entirely certain it is also necessary on a polo, but this is understood considering everyone and their brother does this.

Overall, the style of the clothes are spot on for folks who favor this style. In fact, I am certain that I saw shirts in Lord and Taylor with the polo label that were nearly identical to the stuff that JCP was pushing from AL.

I remember Ullmann saying that American Living will be JCP. We shall see.

I agree on the Eagle. That's stopped me from buying a lot of their clothes. I did get the unlined cotton navy blazer this summer for $14.99 Cost me another $10 to have the sleeves shortened. Still for under $25 it was a very nice blazer.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm guessing American Living wasn't the smash hit Ralph and JCP envisioned.
The biggest thing preventing me from buying AL stuff is that horrible, gaudy logo.

Of course, it's much smaller than the "Big Pony" that Ralph's been putting on his crap lately, so he probably thinks it's restrained. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.