Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
I use a checkbook-sized wallet that I keep in my left inside coat pocket. And I'm left-handed.

It's a dark green Louis Vuitton from the earliest days of their Taiga collection. I actually bought a black one just like it when it started to wear out, but I've decided to keep it going until it literally falls apart, which probably won't be any time soon.

I don't need anything calling attention to my backside, so I never carry anything in my back pocket.

Invisible Mending

I agree with cdavant in terms of reweaving.

Sometimes it is also called Invisible Mending where they 'steal' a bit of fabric from 'say' inside the trouser hem and use it to repair the hole.

I use a black nylon 'surfer boy' (as in the sea) wallet as i find it has much softer corners than equivalent leather wallets and i keep as little as possible in it.

One so often sees guys with half brick wallets in their back pockets, maybe they think it's a sign of wealth to have such a fat wallet, which when one gets down to it, usually contains nothing more than the last six months bank deposit/atm withdrawal slips that could easily be left in a drawer at home.

Also, in the violent and crime stricken society that i live in South Africa, i would'nt dream of having my wallet protruding from any pocket for fear of being accosted and relieved of it very smartly, so i would keep it in a front inside pocket where i can see it, and protect it better.

I've learned the hard way. I've worn these suits for about a year. My guess as to why holes developed was because I carry my wallet in my rear pocket and I sit for 90% of the day.

Now what to do? Are my suits completely ruined? Is there anyway I can salvage these pants or have them refabricated?

Is it possible for a tailor to order materials to refab these pants; particualrly in NYC? The grey pair is a Burberry and the blue is A Hugo
Can you post your wallet picture? I've been carrying wallet all my life in the back poket and never experience this problem.

Phamine,

I assume your wallet has some type of logo on the outside which caused the holes. If you want to continue to carry a wallet in your back pocket, which I still do, then purchase a wallet without a logo. Fortunately I learned this lesson with a cheap JAB pair of linen shorts.

In over 30 years this has NEVER happened to me in any trousers or jeans. I have no plans to stop. Whilst putting it in a jacket pocket is fine you still have to take it with you if you leave your jacket: it is far to easy to forget it and embarrassing if you find yourself unable to pay for something.

Do you have a wallet which is more like a filing cabinet that something with the basics only contained therein? I also wonder about cheap suits...

I developed holes very similar to those pictured ....

but I never carry anything in my rear pocket(s). My tailor fixed the holes, but I'm not sure how he did it. He told me it was because the trousers were super 120s. This is when I stopped wearing the high yarn count trousers, and went to super 100s maximum. In any
event, your first step should be to talk to a tailor to see if anything can be done.

I find that the small front pocket billfolds are handier than those designed for rear pocket use. Mine holds my driver's license, two credit cards, health card, and library card. a small money clip attaced to the wallet carries the limited money I carry with me. Most men attempt to carry too much in their wallet. Your wallet should not be a picture gallery.

I don't like the check book style wallets designed to fit in the jacket breast pocket, because when not wearing a jacket, you have to transfer the wallet contents to another wallet.

Using credit cards significantly reduces the amount of cash you have to carry. Credit cards used with circumspection can be a good deal, plus you'llget cash rewards at BB for every BB credit card transaction.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=george+costanza's+wallet#Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George's wallet was so overstuffed with junk that it made him sit at a tilt with it in his back pocket; forcing him to even it out by stuffing his other back pocket with napkins. Eventually, the wallet exceeds maximum density and explodes on the street in a shower of cash and receipts.

Whilst I have heard of this medical advice - I have never experienced a problem so i suspect there is rather more to it - size of wallet, cut of trousers etc etc.

Handing down hard and fast rules involves far too many assumptions and generalisations.

Never to late to learn.

First read my strong opinion (and medical evidence) about back pocket wallets in the Wallet Chapter of The Encylopedia of Men's Clothes.

Then click on the Recommendation Page and buy the wallet I featured there!!

I don't remember noticing any real discomfort with carrying a wallet in my back pocket (when I did so regularly). Now, I usually carry my wallet in my coat pocket and on the rare occasion that I do need to put it in my back pocket, I find it uncomfortable when I sit. Right now, since I am wearing jeans, all of that junk--wallet, keys, cell phone--is in my desk drawer.

I have never found a front pocket wallet that I like, though I haven't tried the one Andy suggests and am considering trying it. The real benefit there, in my mind, is that you have to decide what not to carry. If you can pare down to ID, a card or two and some folding cash, not only will you not have the problem you describe, but your trousers will hang better as well.

FWIW an old acquaintance of mine who was a shoplifter knew a few pickpockets, and the only place they would not go is the front pocket of the trousers. All other locations, they could lift the wallets.

FWIW an old acquaintance of mine who was a shoplifter knew a few pickpockets, and the only place they would not go is the front pocket of the trousers. All other locations, they could lift the wallets.
How about the waistband? Some RTW comes with what used to be called a watch pocket when I was a kid, and I've taken now to ordering a credit-card-sized pocket just inside the band. Works better when worn loose with braces, but is nevertheless a good receptacle for a key ring or a small wad of bills.

when a hole is worn through, the damage is usually greater than you can see.
if you hold the damage up to the light, you will see an area greater than the hole that is worn thin.
any repair must go beyond the worn area to find secure purchase.
this means that a large piece of cloth is needed for a repair.

some manufacturers save end pieces of cloth. you might send the trousers in for a color match to make a new pair.

Here's a very simple solution assuming you keep your cash and plastic in your wallet:

Get married. You'll have no reason to carry one.

when a hole is worn through, the damage is usually greater than you can see.
if you hold the damage up to the light, you will see an area greater than the hole that is worn thin.
any repair must go beyond the worn area to find secure purchase.
this means that a large piece of cloth is needed for a repair.

some manufacturers save end pieces of cloth. you might send the trousers in for a color match to make a new pair.
Take the trousers to Alice Zotta on 2 W. 45th street 17th floor. Hopefully you have some extra fabric in the cuffs that can be used to graft and reweave the holes.

Good luck - it will cost you much more than $100 each though but may still be worth it to you.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.