Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned the hard way. I've worn these suits for about a year. My guess as to why holes developed was because I carry my wallet in my rear pocket and I sit for 90% of the day.

Now what to do? Are my suits completely ruined? Is there anyway I can salvage these pants or have them refabricated?

Is it possible for a tailor to order materials to refab these pants; particualrly in NYC? The grey pair is a Burberry and the blue is A Hugo

· Registered
2,603 Posts
If you have the clippings from when the pants were hemmed you could go to a tailor. They could at least make it less noticeable.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
My point was that wear like this happens gradually. These large holes didn't appear overnight.

There is probably little you can do about these besides a patch, which will look awful.

Moreover, you broke one of the first rules of wearing a suit: the wallet goes in the back RIGHT, not left, pocket. Oscar Wilde just rolled in his grave.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
If I'm wearing a suit or sports jacket,I keep my wallet in one of the inside pockets.When not wearing a jacket,I keep it in one of the side pockets,or more often,I use a money clip.I NEVER keep a wallet in the back pocket.As for the slacks,they may be able to be covered up by the jacket (depending on the length),other than that,I doubt that there is anything that can be done (and still look right).

· Registered
1,813 Posts
I never wore suit pants before. I always wore jeans. I really did not see it coming.
Oh, the things we learn via harsh lessons!

Sorry for your loss.
Try getting a thinny wallet and put it up front or in the jacket.
Hopefully you are protecting your keys so they don't eat up your front pockets.
My father always encased his keys in leather pouches with a slide attached to the ring. Brilliant. I tend to carry a minimal of keys.

Andy's site is wonderful, but we should have some kind of "10 Commandments" of the largest mistakes we have learned as neophytes coming into fashion.

· Registered
452 Posts
Having a wallet (or anything, for that matter) in your back pocket is terrible for your back - especially if you're sitting on it (the wallet) all day.

I've got a nice Launer wallet - but any sense of gratification I get when I whip it out (of my left inside pocket) dissipates when I'm reminded that there's nothing in it...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.