Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, everyone knows that if you buy a fashion branded shoe a significant part of the ticket value is going into the brand's marketing budget rather than into the quality of the product. Also there is a risk that a fashion branded shoe will go out of fashion. So for many years, most of my life, until recently, I used to stick with classical items from non-fashion high quality brands such as Edward Green, C&J, Trickers, Magnanni etc. Sure, you get a well made product that will last many years. The downside is that what you buy will be utterly dull and boring. I'd had enough until recently. So now I'm buying fashion branded shoes at outlet centres and couldn't be happier with my purchases. Italian made shoes from Zegna and Prada that are of high quality and different and for roughly the same price. I don't care if they last for 15 years instead of 25 if they give me a new lease of life and I get more pleasure in wearing them and receive positive comments from the ladies. I just make sure that the design is of a subtle kind that won't likely go out of fashion yet will remain stylish at the same time. Life is too short to be invisible.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Yes, everyone knows that if you buy a fashion branded shoe a significant part of the ticket value is going into the brand's marketing budget rather than into the quality of the product. Also there is a risk that a fashion branded shoe will go out of fashion. So for many years, most of my life, until recently, I used to stick with classical items from non-fashion high quality brands such as Edward Green, C&J, Trickers, Magnanni etc. Sure, you get a well made product that will last many years. The downside is that what you buy will be utterly dull and boring. I'd had enough until recently. So now I'm buying fashion branded shoes at outlet centres and couldn't be happier with my purchases. Italian made shoes from Zegna and Prada that are of high quality and different and for roughly the same price. I don't care if they last for 15 years instead of 25 if they give me a new lease of life and I get more pleasure in wearing them and receive positive comments from the ladies. I just make sure that the design is of a subtle kind that won't likely go out of fashion yet will remain stylish at the same time. Life is too short to be invisible.
Strange but true. I have noticed that women notice mens shoes as much if not more than any other apparel item.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the glossy pair of dark brown brogues I bought at Prada yesterday. Not patent leather but high gloss wax finish. Try buying them in Jermyn Street, no chance. Maybe too 'in-your-face' for some people but I've got to a stage in my life where I'm bored of good taste and can no longer give a damn and will wear them unapologetically in to the office.
Footwear Brown Shoe Electric blue Athletic shoe

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Here's the glossy pair of dark brown brogues I bought at Prada yesterday. Not patent leather but high gloss wax finish. Try buying them in Jermyn Street, no chance. Maybe too 'in-your-face' for some people but I've got to a stage in my life where I'm bored of good taste and can no longer give a damn and will wear them unapologetically in to the office. View attachment 20398
You can get a full-brogue derby shoe in this style or in a more interesting last on Jermyn Street, and for that price it won't be made of cheap leather. If you paid more than £100 for these and think they will last anywhere close to 15 years you have been conned.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I used to stick with classical items from non-fashion high quality brands such as EdwardGreen, C&J, Trickers, Magnanni etc. Sure, you get a well made product that will last many years.
Correct.

The downside is that what you buy will be utterly dull and boring.
LOL!!! :amazing:

Enjoy your Prada and thanks for the hilarious troll post - it really brightened up my Sunday morning.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here's the glossy pair of dark brown brogues I bought at Prada yesterday. Not patent leather but high gloss wax finish. Try buying them in Jermyn Street, no chance. Maybe too 'in-your-face' for some people but I've got to a stage in my life where I'm bored of good taste and can no longer give a damn and will wear them unapologetically in to the office. View attachment 20398
I don't consider these to be too "in your face." The longwing blucher is a classic style that has been around for years.
Allen Edmonds has carried the MacNeil (shown below) for a long time.
Brown Oxford shoe Dress shoe Magenta Athletic shoe

They also carry other longwing bluchers, with different designs and shapes that they introduce from time to time. Here is a recent offering, the Leiden.
Brown Dress shoe Outdoor shoe Font Athletic shoe

I hope that you enjoy your new shoes for many years.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Lol, yes - as long as you like it nothing else matters. Or something like that. :)
And what is the sin with that? Whether it may or may not abide by your particular taste, why should I judge someone else's choice.

I don't believe the OP asked whether he should or invited anyone to weigh in on his decision. He simply declared his preference.

Troll, I believe, was the term you used to describe him.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
And what is the sin with that? Whether it may or may not abide by your particular taste, why should I judge someone else's choice.

I don't believe the OP asked whether he should or invited anyone to weigh in on his decision. He simply declared his preference.

Troll, I believe, was the term you used to describe him.
Oh, he did more than declare his preference, and it was pretty well done if the intent was to get a rise out of people.

"I used to stick with classical items from non-fashion high quality brands such as Edward Green, C&J, Trickers, Magnanni etc. Sure, you get a well made product that will last many years. The downside is that what you buy will be utterly dull and boring."

"Italian made shoes from Zegna and Prada that are of high quality and different and for roughly the same price."

"I just make sure that the design is of a subtle kind that won't likely go out of fashion yet will remain stylish at the same time"

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.