Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There you are getting ready to go to work. You’re showered, shaved, had your first cup of coffee, and gotten dressed. You’ve even remembered your chores and gotten the garbage out to the curb before the truck comes.
You look at your watch and you’re 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Why you can stop and pick up another cup of coffee and a roll on the way to work.
Only thing left to do is put on your boots. Suddenly.....snap! There goes the shoelace. And not just any shoelace, a 54 inch Navy lace
Now your rummaging thru the hundreds of extra laces. Illuminated only by a single 60 watt bulb (don’t want to wake SWMBO). You know there’s a navy in there, you bought it 2 years ago. YOU try and find it among all the blacks.
No extra coffee and roll for me today. I’m lucky if I arrive just late enough to be fashionable as opposed to uncaring and slovenly.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
There you are getting ready to go to work. You're showered, shaved, had your first cup of coffee, and gotten dressed. You've even remembered your chores and gotten the garbage out to the curb before the truck comes.
You look at your watch and you're 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Why you can stop and pick up another cup of coffee and a roll on the way to work.
Only thing left to do is put on your boots. Suddenly.....snap! There goes the shoelace. And not just any shoelace, a 54 inch Navy lace
Now your rummaging thru the hundreds of extra laces. Illuminated only by a single 60 watt bulb (don't want to wake SWMBO). You know there's a navy in there, you bought it 2 years ago. YOU try and find it among all the blacks.
No extra coffee and roll for me today. I'm lucky if I arrive just late enough to be fashionable as opposed to uncaring and slovenly.
Equally bad is when all is as you described and you are buttoning up your shirt collar to get ready to tie the tie and the button comes off in your hand. At that point, it's red alert, in particular, if you had a patterned shirt specifically picked out for the outfit.

Now, you're reviewing your clean shirts to see what will work and if you'll need to change the tie. Plus, there's the unbuttoning, taking off and taking out cufflinks from the old shirt followed by taking out of cleaner's wrapping, putting in stays and cufflinks for the new shirt, as well as, re-buttoning. A calm morning - where you have a few minutes to spare - can all go to h*ll with that one button coming off.

· Registered
888 Posts
This happens to me a lot. My wife and I have two cats, one which just loves to gnaw on my laces. So I often have a weakened lace that's been partially chewed through. It once happened while I was getting ready to go to the airport and already running late.

· Registered
6,406 Posts
I've been burned by laces snapping while on a business trip - coincidentally on a pair of blue boots - and my sole footwear option. Day long deposition scheduled. No flipping idea where I can buy replacement laces. Freaking snow storm outside. Yup. I now travel with backup laces for any shoes that need them. Lesson learned.

· Registered
356 Posts
There you are getting ready to go to work. You're showered, shaved, had your first cup of coffee, and gotten dressed. You've even remembered your chores and gotten the garbage out to the curb before the truck comes.
You look at your watch and you're 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Why you can stop and pick up another cup of coffee and a roll on the way to work.
Now your rummaging thru the hundreds of extra laces. Illuminated only by a single 60 watt bulb (don't want to wake SWMBO). You know there's a navy in there, you bought it 2 years ago. YOU try and find it among all the blacks.
No extra coffee and roll for me today. I'm lucky if I arrive just late enough to be fashionable as opposed to uncaring and slovenly.
Why I have a spare pair of Blundstones laying around.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@momsdoc, I am surprised that with your shoes/boots inventory, you do not have a backup pair ready for such emergency. But then we all know that one always reaches for his favorite pair of boots.

Chelsea boots in your case.
I have 3 other pairs of navy boots that could have substituted. But by God, I wanted to wear my Galways!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.