Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had trouble finding a suit that fits right in my shoulders. I just ordered this BB Fitzgerald. I took it into BB and the sales guy insisted it was too small. What do you think? In my opinion, his suit did not come close to fitting properly. The suit feels snug, but not really restrictive. As you can see in one of the pics, the tailor wanted to take it out a bit in the back. The bottom of the jacket flares out a bit, so I would want that taken in. The shoulders on the next size up protrude past my arms.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The shoulders don't seem to fit right. The sleeves certainly need to be finished, but its the shoulders that seems wrong. As for the bottom, I don't see that much flaring. Is it a single or double vented suit?

One thing I did notice in the pic, particularly from behind, it that you stand with a right trunk shift. It may be the camera angle but at the risk of prying, have you ever been diagnosed with scoliosis? If so, it may be a reason why you are having a hard time with an off the rack suit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The reason it pulls up is these suits have low armholes.
It looks like it is a bit tight in the belly, if you look at the side shot, you can see the lapels laying in a strange way.
Shoulders do look off as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^ The sleeve length is obviously too long. I don't find the rest of it to be that bad, however. My only gripe is the shoulders (as someone said above); they are oddly too narrow on these Fitz (and Regent) jackets. I also find it curious that the armholes appear so low. I had a Regent jacket (took it back) that had nice high armholes. Odd that the Fitz wouldn't as well since it is supposed to be "our trimmest expression..."

What size is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course the sleeves are too long. The jacket has not yet been altered. I just wanted an opinion as to whether it was an OK place to start. The jacket is a 40L. My main problem with the fit of jackets is that my shoulders slope forward a bit, leaving excess overhang at the backs of my shoulders. You can see it in the side-view picture. It seems like a common enough problem, so I was wondering if anyone else has had success w/ off-the-rack suit alterations for this problem. BB is ordering a 41L for me to try, but I was thinking that letting out the back of the 40L might be a better adjustment. Or maybe the snug jacket just highlights the problem?

I don't think it's too tight in the belly. I think it looks that way because the rear vent is still stitched closed.

As far as the arm holes go, I'm pretty sure the Fitzgerald has higher-than-average armholes, so maybe it is too small overall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.