Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently purchased this Eton dress shirt at the only half-decent store that I know of in this city and had it tailored there. I don't feel as if they did all that great of a job. Really considering returning it. Thoughts on the fit and maybe recommendations on where I can get clothes that won't make me look so ridiculous would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ephemeral

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
No, you don't look ridiculous. You have a belly. Most Americans do. The pants tho, those look kinda ridiculous. Size up, pull up. Pull the shirt down in back tight before buckling up the belt you don't have on (get one).

Do the arm holes feel too high/small? Looks like they may be constricting, how did they feel before tailoring, pretty good I bet. As long as the collar fits, and the shoulders fit, why care if a shirt's a bit blousy. Billowy fabric is comfy, and when well pressed and well tucked can look fine, not just passible, fine. Your sleeves may be a bit wonky. Break out the iron and give it a go on those. Cannot recommend anything above a $15 shirt because that's all I know, Kirkland from Costco.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, you don't look ridiculous. You have a belly. Most Americans do. The pants tho, those look kinda ridiculous. Size up, pull up. Pull the shirt down in back tight before buckling up the belt you don't have on (get one).

Do the arm holes feel too high/small? Looks like they may be constricting, how did they feel before tailoring, pretty good I bet. As long as the collar fits, and the shoulders fit, why care if a shirt's a bit blousy. Billowy fabric is comfy, and when well pressed and well tucked can look fine, not just passible, fine. Your sleeves may be a bit wonky. Break out the iron and give it a go on those. Cannot recommend anything above a $15 shirt because that's all I know, Kirkland from Costco.
The pants are made of selvedge twill and are from the Brooks Brother's outlet. Manufacturing standards seem to be lower for outlet items than the ones sold online. As is they're falling off of me and when pulled up just over the belly they're a bit uncomfortable for other reasons. Investing in a nice belt is definitely something that needs to be done. My last one looked nice, but it wasn't durable. After several months of daily wear the leather came apart. Currently considering picking up one from Equus. Just not sure if the price-to-durability ratio's there (I say this yet here I've overpaid for an OTR dress shirt when I likely could've gotten something as dependable if not more so from Costco)

And yes, the arm holes are a tad too high, but it's not terribly uncomfortable unless I raise my hands. The center chest button also pulls when I move my shoulders back.

Here are some more pictures of the pants. In them they're pulled up about a half-inch below my naval and I'm wearing a custom slim RL polo that imo. fits well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Peaks' advice above is all good, I think you would do well to pay attention to the points he makes. I have some thoughts to add:

First, I noticed that there are darts in the back of the shirt that make it even more tight-fitting than it would have been without them! Were these darts part of the tailoring you mention. or part of the slim fit style? A good tailor usually makes adjustments for a person's body shape and irregularities if any, because tailoring is as much about concealment as it is about stressing your physique's good points. Given your torso's dimensions, a tight/slim fit is definitely not going to look good. The shirt won't slim you down. A looser shirt would be more comfortable and would look much better. Likewise, the sleeves also seem too tight and the armholes too high. Peaks is right -- size up. And avoid darts in the back. The black polo shirt in the second set of pictures looks much better -- likely because it fits you somewhat better, and also because it is black, and not because it is slim. Dark colors tend to hide things like a prominent belly, LOL.

As for the trousers, the five-pocket jeans style (especially if it is tight in the waist and crotch, with narrow thighs and legs) will not flatter the body type of most American men, which usually runs to a belly. The styles that flatter a plump waist are the ones that are looser fits. A pair of pleated trousers that are generously cut in the crotch with a high rise, and with straight legs and roomy thighs, would look far better on you than a pair of jeans. Bill's Khakis M2 model would be a good choice. And definitely do wear a belt or braces. If you buy three or four good-quality belts, they will last you much longer and they will be more flexible. In addition to leather, you can buy surcingle or canvas belts, especially for summer use, and those don't quite fall apart the way leather belts do. A belt or braces will help to hold in the belly.

Lastly about price. First, paying a bit more for better-quality items is actually cheaper in the long run, when you add up the cost of all the frequent replacements you make for an item after they wear out quickly. Second, try the second-hand market. I go to vintage and second-hand shops or thrifts for many items, and you can find many different styles of shirts and pants there for a few dollars apiece -- often new, or new old stock. You can try different styles and if something is not to your liking, donate it back. You are not out tens or hundreds of dollars. The same is true with belts and braces. If your burg has a Goodwill or a community thrift shop, explore their offerings.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nothing to really add about the shirt, but did want to say Equus belts are fantastic. I have 3 that I wear constantly. I’ve had for 3-4 years now and they still look brand new.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The trouser fit in the "polo" pictures makes 80% of the difference.

A shirt with no darts (darts are the opposite of what your body shape demands) PLUS a trouser fit like the polo pics I think are going to look much more comfortable.

(I don't know if Eton shirts are available dart-less ornate, but if not, that's not the brand for you.)

BB has (or had) a "Madison" fit which would be perhaps better.

Somewhere around here is a thread of photos with well-turned-out men of portly disposition; it's worth a look for inspiration (patterns, fits, etc.) There's nothing intrinsically "ridiculous" about being bigger; indeed, no look is more commanding, given the right outfit!

DH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts