Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother asked me to help him look for slacks at Macy's. He's 5-4, and fairly lean. The perfect pair of slacks that would fit him would have a 32 waist, 28 inseam. We looked at all the brands they had; Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole, and Alfani. No pair of had anything shorter than a 30 inseam, with one exception. There was one with from each brand with a 29 inseam, but guess what was the waist. A 38!

I don't know if it's like this in the rest of the country, but I've noticed the same with every store I've gone to, whether it's slacks, jeans, chinos or cords. A waist size from 30-34 will only come with 30 or 32 inseam. A waist size 36 and above may come with a 29 inseam.

Is this the result of some generic demographic market research, where only long-legged teens and short, thick-waisted men buy finished slacks?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
You pose an interesting question. Here's one answer:

Taking up a pant leg yourself is not that tough. And you're not limited to even-inches; you can add 1/4s and 1/8s. Nor are you limited to making both legs the same length (in case yours aren't). The tools are prtetty simple: razor blade, needle and thread. Consider it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is this the result of some generic demographic market research, where only long-legged teens and short, thick-waisted men buy finished slacks?
Yes. It's much more expensive to make 20 different size runs than 10. They make what they think will sell.

That's the reason many of the higher end denim companies only make a waist size, with a generic overly long inseam. They don't have high enough sales to justify a minimum run of every different inseam combination.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sometimes the problem is the rise. If you are 5'5" like I am, and can only get a 30" inseam (God forbid a 32 is all they have), I have to be careful that the crotch is not too low, even though I wear the waist band at my real waist. I may like a pair of pants, but if the rise is too much, I have to by-pass them. If the rise if fine, then 30 it is, and off to the tailor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"Get a pair of trousers made for you."

I am amazed at how quickly someone chimes in with a MTM response on posts like this. The OP was not asking for MTM advice. MTM and Bespoke are not always within financial reach of everyone, especially now that people are watching their money a little closer.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
With apologies to "The Godfather"- You can't take it personally, it's just business ! If there was enough call for a size they would make it. Manufacturers follow a probability table to decide what and how many items should be made in a particular size. How many individuals are exactly a given size? Many individuals who buy waist size 32, for example, may actually be size 32 1/2 or size 31 1/2. Same with trouser lengths. Fortunately small adjustments are easily made.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
start shopping in men's stores or in higher end dept. stores that sell trousers that are unhemmed. this way you can specify cuff or no cuff and get them tailored to your exact specs. Don't buy a pant that is premeasured in the length. Chances are the seat and rise won't be right either.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
"Get a pair of trousers made for you."

I am amazed at how quickly someone chimes in with a MTM response on posts like this. The OP was not asking for MTM advice. MTM and Bespoke are not always within financial reach of everyone, especially now that people are watching their money a little closer.
Please forgive my perhaps predictable response. However, I can have a pair of good quality trousers made for me in London for £80.

Now, pray tell me how much you would consider to be reasonable for a pair of good quality, inferior-fitting RTW trousers? I imagine you would consider something in the region of £80 to be altogether rather reasonable!

It's also far less stressful than hunting around the shops, when you've got better things to do with your good time. Furthermore, you can have your trousers made in one of any number of beautiful fabrics - not just what the retail stockist anticipated would be fashionable during this season.

Is MTM really such an unreasonable suggestion? ;)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I'm six feet tall and have a 30" inseam. I can't imagine what people six inches shorter than me have to do - once I could only find a style I wanted in a 32" inseam and not only was the rise higher than I'd like, but it was designed for someone whose backside covered a greater part of his backside - on me, with my fairly average proportions, it was droopy.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
You pose an interesting question. Here's one answer:

Taking up a pant leg yourself is not that tough. And you're not limited to even-inches; you can add 1/4s and 1/8s. Nor are you limited to making both legs the same length (in case yours aren't). The tools are prtetty simple: razor blade, needle and thread. Consider it.
Okay, so I'm quoting myself, but of all the postings that followed, nobody chimed in with yeah try doing it yourself. Doesn't anybody here (excepting the pros A Tailor and Wardrobe Girl) have any expertise at all in doing the most basic and simplest operations on their own clothes?

(Does anybody here change their own oil? Shovel their own sidewalk? Make their own breakfast. Take up their own pants?)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Okay, so I'm quoting myself, but of all the postings that followed, nobody chimed in with yeah try doing it yourself. Doesn't anybody here (excepting the pros A Tailor and Wardrobe Girl) have any expertise at all in doing the most basic and simplest operations on their own clothes?

(Does anybody here change their own oil? Shovel their own sidewalk? Make their own breakfast. Take up their own pants?)
Sorry, but maybe the reason why nobody chimed in was because they don't think it's a good idea. I mean, if you know how to do it then you should do it yourself. But why should I learn to do it when my tailor can do it for $10? I have other ways to spend my time. Comparing changing oil and shoveling the sidwalk to hemming pants doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't take any sort of skill to do those things. And as "easy" as it might seem to you, doesn't mean that it would that easy for everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Sorry, but maybe the reason why nobody chimed in was because they don't think it's a good idea. I mean, if you know how to do it then you should do it yourself. But why should I learn to do it when my tailor can do it for $10? I have other ways to spend my time. Comparing changing oil and shoveling the sidwalk to hemming pants doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't take any sort of skill to do those things. And as "easy" as it might seem to you, doesn't mean that it would that easy for everyone.
Why should you learn to do anything when someone else can do it for you for ten bucks? How much did you pay that guy in school to do your term paper, $10? Probably. You're a Republican, right?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Doesn't anybody here (excepting the pros A Tailor and Wardrobe Girl) have any expertise at all in doing the most basic and simplest operations on their own clothes?
Most of my trousers were altered for free by the shop or department store, so never really had to worry about that. For blazers (3) and a jacket, I went to a Berwick Street tailor.

You're a Republican, right?
If I was American or could vote in the US elections, I would count be a hardcore Republican.
I agree with the poster, why do it yourself when I tailor will do it for £8-10.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Why should you learn to do anything when someone else can do it for you for ten bucks? How much did you pay that guy in school to do your term paper, $10? Probably. You're a Republican, right?
Oh, relax man. Don't get upset. I just found it funny that you assumed everybody should learn this skill that you have. I pay my tailor $10 to do this for the assurance of knowing it will be done correctly and with the right amount of break. They are skilled in doing this. I am not.

And for the record, my political views are someone down the middle with a slight lean to the left. So no, I am not a Republican.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Oh, relax man. Don't get upset. I just found it funny that you assumed everybody should learn this skill that you have. I
MM27, I'm not upset. Really.

But you use the word skill. It ain't. Taking up pants is real easy. Self taught. And probably doing it all wrong. (Nah, being too humble: they come out pretty good).

But I've often wondered that of all the thousands and thousands of posts here and on SF, hardly anyone ever talks about actually doing something to their clothes themselves. It seems the natural progression of things: you buy them, you wear them, you care for them, now don't you want to sorta work on them a little?

Apparently not.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hey! I am a republican and I would be both willing to pay $10 for a hemming AND do it myself if I knew how. Can someone cook up a photo tutorial - or describe the process please. I think it was Cruiser who said he hems his own jeans. I would LOVE to be able to do that as I am a 33 inseam and odd numbered inseam people are the left-handed of the inseam world. I would however pay the $10 to have pants cuffed or hemmed straight-leg if they were expensive and I didnt want to goof it up. Is there a how-to-hem-pants.com out there?

never mind, google has a zillion links to hemming your own pants, see I found that without government assistance ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.