Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been trying to make an appointment with William Westmancott to take advantage of the offer that is sent from his website if you enquire about pricing.

However, I have had no reply to a couple of emails and the contact telephone number on his website/emails (0207 060 1149) is not active and apparently for sale.

Does anyone know if he is still trading or is he perhaps travelling/escaping the British weather on a winter break?

Drinky

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I emailed him about prices in November and got a reply in a few days; however, when I send a reply to that email, got no response.

If may be worth calling Scabal, (020 7734 1867) where he rents space.

from style forum
"William sent an email to a friend of mine saying that his business had gone into administration (bankrupt) and he would not be able to complete the suit or refund the deposit."

https://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=95927 - post 5

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not that I know of.
Last I heard he was with his accountant trying to sort out the mess, then there was talk of him moving to Ireland.
The rumour is that one client ordered a whole load of suits and then didn't pay up, and that's what caused the problem.
Perhaps he didn't take a 50% deposit I don't know...?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let it be a lesson to all of us to pay our tailors! They are small businesses and need to watch their cash flow, especially in these dire times. I pay my suits on an informal "installment plan", i.e., make a partial payment at each visit (not because they ask me too, mind you), with the final one on or about time of delivery. It also limits the forex risk ( I am Euro-based).

Frog in Suit

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes it's true, WW has gone bust.
And you are surprised by this? As discussed on this Forum, including in threads in which Mr Westmancott took part, his was an iffy business model from the start. He positioned himself as the Row's most expensive tailor with no demonstrable evidence as to making a superior product. Consequently, he put himself directly into competition with Savile Row's most noted firms while appealing to a customer base that was transient at best -- or only interested in the notoriety of doing business with the most expensive tailor in London at worst. Add to that the economic climate and the additional costs of a start-up company and the result should have been pretty obvious. That said, this is an unfortunate situation for both Mr Westmancott and his clients. And I do hope that things turn out all right for all concerned.

·
Registered
869 Posts
And you are surprised by this? As discussed on this Forum, including in threads in which Mr Westmancott took part, his was an iffy business model from the start. He positioned himself as the Row's most expensive tailor with no demonstrable evidence as to making a superior product. Consequently, he put himself directly into competition with Savile Row's most noted firms while appealing to a customer base that was transient at best -- or only interested in the notoriety of doing business with the most expensive tailor in London at worst. Add to that the economic climate and the additional costs of a start-up company and the result should have been pretty obvious. That said, this is an unfortunate situation for both Mr Westmancott and his clients. And I do hope that things turn out all right for all concerned.
Where does it say I'm surprised....? :confused:

I'm not at all surprised.
He set up his business on his own about 2 years before the recession really kicked in and he hadn't built up enough momentum to sustain the business through the rough times.
It's hard enough to be a self-employed tailor in a boom economy let alone now.
The common mistake that tailors and cutters on the Row often make is that they think that all you need is your cutting ability and a few clients.
History is littered with bankrupt cutters who demonstrate that a good cutter does not a good businessman make.
It's not simply a case of setting up a web site and then hoping the word of mouth will spread.

Often these people have no concept of marketing, accounting, customer service, building a brand etc. etc. and they don't want to pay someone else to do these things. They want to keep the cash themselves.

I know an excellent cutter on the Row, one of the best in fact. He could've gone solo years ago but he didn't because he acknowledges his total lack of business acumen.
Not everyone is that honest with themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.