Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have had at least one corduroy sport coat in my closet since the late 60's; however, for the past 25 years or so I have only used them for casual wear, usually with jeans. For example I went out to a local comedy club the other night and wore my wheat colored corduroy jacket with a blue OCBD shirt and a nice pair of jeans. Turns out that I was one of the more smartly dressed guys in the club.

Cruiser

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm new to this sort of thing, but I have a casual brown cord sports coat that I wear with dark blue jeans and button-down shirts, and I receive positive comments from people on the outfit. In addition, I think it looks nice, as does my wife, so take that for what it's worth.

That said, I'm not sold on velvet as a material that I would want to wear on any occasion, but having never tried it, I will refrain from passing judgement.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Corduroy is fine for casual wear .... I don't like it with jeans,

but I never wear jeans except to work in around the house. Velvet dinner jackets are not for me, but if you do wear one, I think it should be worn in the evening in your home, with or without guests. To attend a formal affair in a velvet diner jacket is, well I don't think it is done, except in 1973 with a shirt with lace cuffs at a high school prom.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a dark olive cord sportcoat that I wear any time of the day, it is quite versatile. It looks great with khakis or jeans. I don't have a velvet one, but wouldn't mind it as a gift either. I'd probably only wear velvet during the evening. Don't listen to these fools who say both are somehow inferior pieces.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Petting zoo?

Actually, cord sport coats are a natural for the country, but one could wear them in town to outdoor events. They're usually warmer themselves, and look good with sweaters for more warmth. A dressier look than a stout jacket.

Those who avoid velvet are missing getting petted. I would, and do, wear velvet in the form of a dinner jacket, but only in the evening. I guarantee that it is almost impossible for people to keep their hands off it:icon_smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Being as black picks up lint I was thinking of a burgundy/deep violet jacket for evening. I think I'm sold on the cordoroy jacket. Any color suggestions for a velvet jacket for a blue eyed blonde?
If you would like a velvet jacket for the evening, I think that's fine, but I'm sure you know it's not formal wear, unless you confine it to your home. As to color, it can be whatever you prefer. Black should work, or navy. Might think burgundy or violet a bit over the top.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Pick-up line

Being as black picks up lint I was thinking of a burgundy/deep violet jacket for evening. I think I'm sold on the cordoroy jacket. Any color suggestions for a velvet jacket for a blue eyed blonde?
Actually, black velvet is no more likely to pick up lint than any other velvet. It all depends on static electricity, which is worse in low humidity. Burgundy or violet might not show it as starkly, but picking those colors primarily because of the lint issue might be unwise.

If the purpose is to have a formal evening look, then black is the best choice, whatever the coloration of the wearer. The main problem for you in choosing burgundy or violet for your husband's coat will be your range of color choices for outfits you will wear with him in one of those colors. Black will not present that problem, which is one reason it is the standard for men's evening wear.

The other problem is that, because black is the standard for men's evening wear, anything else seems a bit eccentric. For some people, that's OK, as they live for eccentricity. Only you know whether your husband would be comfortable with that.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I like the look of navy velvet. It is different than black - makes you stand out a bit. I don't have either, as being 21 in a college town, I'd fear getting... well, I don't know, but I dislike most other people that I see wearing it or how they look in it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.