Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went there to be measured for a new bespoke suit last week. They seem to be extremely busy, but Mr. Golding has an obvious enthusiasm for his work - a great sign, in my opinion.

My requirements are for something slightly mod-ish, so a tailor who has been making since the 60's should know the look I'm after. I'm going for the first fitting end of next week, so we'll see how it goes.

CT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trippa,

It will be interesting to compare notes as I went to St Albans to be measured for a blazer and flannels this week.

I nearly didn't as there are some rather negative posts about Goldings on the Army Rumour Service forums. However, after a little grubbing around, it's apparent that the posts come from individuals who seem predisposed towards negativity, so I placed a call and made an appointment.

Like you, I found Mr Golding to be genuinely enthusiastic and he clearly enjoys his work with customers. He listened to what I wanted and what I want it for and provided some excellent advice/guidance on the various aspects about which I was undecided.

He also took the time afterwards to show me around the workshops behind/above his shop (which is a veritable tardis) and introduced me to the people who will be involved in making my items.

I have a first fitting in 3 weeks and my fingers are tightly crossed as it will be fantastic to have discovered (thanks to this forum) an affordable bespoke tailor just 10 mins from where I live.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great!
I had a look on the Army forum and saw some of the odd "don't go there" comments. None of them ever seemed to give any reason that I could find, aside from the cost being higher than off the peg.

I don't see that anyone who has stayed in business for 40 years and has a royal warrant can be too much of a poor craftsman.

I'm not sure how advanced the garments will be at the next stage, but I'm hoping I can still change a couple of things! (angled/straight pockets in the jacket)

I'll post on how it goes after Friday.
:idea:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that you'll have scope to change things at the first fitting. I am unsure whether to have an external ticket pocket and was advised that I should let him know at the first fitting.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Greetings All,

Went up to St. Albans for my first fitting of the suit from Mr. Golding this morning. Very interesting experience for a bespoke virgin.
It made me realise that the relationship of trust is really important, in that whatever my own ideas, I'm going to get a G.D.Golding suit - so I just have to trust that he knows better and let him do his thing !

Now, I can see the garment size, I'm really pleased with the material I chose; a light weight deep brown weave with a bit of a bronze sheen to it.

The shop is full of beautiful stuff in progress, and the walls full of framed letters of reference from various Lords and notables and, of course the huge Royal Warrant, so there can't be much better assurance I guess. I took a couple of photos on my phone.

Next fitting in only a week :aportnoy:
Trippa

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had my first fitting yesterday for the Blazer yesterday. Everything seems to be progressing nicely and the silhouette looks great - the waist appearing nicely nipped without being overdone. I am now very excited about wearing the finished item. Was slightly alarming to have the sleeve pulled off (arm hole slightly too high) - but, from what I now understand, the whole thing will be pulled apart, re-cut and remade.

Next fitting is in a couple of weeks - which will include the first fitting for the flannels.

My Golding was busy yesterday and had a client in the fitting room when I arrived and another walking through the door when I left. It was very informative eavesdropping on the conversation between Mr Golding and the first client who clearly wasn't there for their first bespoke experience.

Now trying to justify to myself some shirts which are £175 each and require a minimum order of 3. Are they really going to be 3x as nice as Coles Slim Fit which fit me a treat, are very nicely made with quality fabric and some nice touches like mother of pearl buttons.

Drinky

·
Registered
53 Posts
Greetings All,

I had my second fitting last Saturday at the Sandhurst shop (which, both times I've been there seems constantly busy with customers leaving, or arriving for appointments, or arriving early, leaving late etc.)

I have to admit to having a bit of a freak out in between the fittings, worrying if it will be what I wanted.

On second fitting, my suit jacket is more formed now, with an awesome deep blue lining. We settled on a 3 button, which I'm pleased about. I found it quite hard to judge progress for myself, in the relatively short time of the fitting, but glad to have got the photo at the previous visit.

I'm lined up for "maybe" the finished article in 2 weeks, depending on whether it passes muster with Mr. G. on my next trip to St.Albans. :aportnoy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had my second fitting yesterday afternoon and my Blazer is going to be fantastic. Also had my first fitting of the flannels and was amazed at how well they fit - the only change being required is 1/2 of an inch off the waist. Apparently trousers are 'far easier to get right than jackets'.

I'll try to post some photo's when I have the final fitting in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was due to collect my finished suit last week, but there were a couple of issues with it: trousers somehow lost 1/2" in length while being finished up and the jacket had an error which Mr. Golding wasn't at all happy about.

So, I've an appointment to collect the revised suit on Saturday.

Aside from that, it's my birthday and I got an email from the Ask Andy Forum itself - how nice :icon_smile_big: Going up to Jermyn St to collect a couple of presents from the Mrs. - T&A shirts which have been altered for my gnome-like physique.

·
Registered
53 Posts
it's done!

Gentlemen, just a note to conclude the odyssey.
Suit is finished and is, in my opinion, unspeakably awesome. One last extra is that we're going to add cloth covered buttons to the jacket next week, which is totally in keeping with my original style references.

I'll try to get some pics once that's done, but to conclude the report on my experience with Mr. G - he has well and truly delivered the goods, surpassing anything I had initially imagined ! :aportnoy: about sums it up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up my Blazer and flannels last Friday and am absolutely thrilled with them.

Mr Golding is a perfectionist. At what was supposed to be the final fitting earlier in the week, there were a couple of minor things that he was not happy with and an additional fitting was therefore required.

My overall perspective of having bespoke items made is very, very positive. The clothes that have been made for me really are sensational.

There are however, a couple of downsides that I would like to point out to other bespoke virgins. The first, and minor point, is that it requires you to invest quite a bit of time and is a far more lengthy process than 'shopping'. The second, and major point, is that I am now not as happy with the fit of the other items in my wardrobe as I was before! Although £1285 for a bespoke blazer and flannels (a suit is the same price) is far more affordable than 'row prices' for even made to measure, this could be the start of an expensive process for me.

In conclusion, I wouldn't hesitate recommending Mr Golding to others; he really knows his onions, he's enthusiastic, affable, a real perfectionist and, with all production done on the premises, this translates into a fine finished product.

I'll look into posting some photo's.

Drinky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.