Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Seeking some advice here. I wear a 40 long suit (tailored after being bought). I'm thinking of buying a coat on the web but most go by S, M, L, not 40R 40L etc. Can anybody tell me if a 40 long would be a medium or a large?
Thanks in advance

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
40 is standard Medium.

·
6,643 Posts
Shirts-Tops-Tanks Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large 3X-Large
Men-Chest Size in Inches
32"-36" 36"-40" 40"-44" 44"-48" 48"-52" 52"-56"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello. Seeking some advice here. I wear a 40 long suit (tailored after being bought). I'm thinking of buying a coat on the web but most go by S, M, L, not 40R 40L etc. Can anybody tell me if a 40 long would be a medium or a large?
Thanks in advance
It depends how L your 40L is. I'm 6'5, and while mediums fit me better through the body they're often short in the arms. That's fine for sweaters; less so for overcoats, where I'll tend to go Large instead.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall. I wear a 40R or a 40L in suits. Mostly 40L. I have had everything in "L" that was a coat.

Now I am purchasing everything (that doesn't have a numeric label) in MEDIUM. I realize that anything Medium does not look 'tight' on me but looks 'fitted'. And that is the look I want to achieve.

·
Vendor
1,736 Posts
As you can see from the scale posted by Alexander Kabbaz the sizes covered by small, medium, large, etc. leave much to be desired. If medium covers sizes 36 - 40, it is covering five sizes- 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40. Additionally you have to deal with the short, regular, long, XL aspects of any garment. Obviously a 5'9" man who wears a size 37R and a 6'1" man who wears a size 40L will not both be able to wear the same size garment. You need more measurements than s, med, etc to get a properly fitting garment. That having been said, as long as you can return it you have nothing to lose.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mens small or women's medium, no? Pack some quality lean muscle on that frame and you will be able to buy off the big boys rack in no team. I am currently on an all-meat (some veggies and cream) diet and have added a solid 34 lbs of dense muscle to my frame since last March. I train, of course until muscle failure or vomitus, whatever comes first. However, I am a now a solid 267 lbs, with 14% body fat. I wear a 50L with a heavily inclined tapered waist. My shoulders are like a kitchen table. I used to be a skinny little girly man for years, but proper diet, raging lifting sessions, I have improved my physique and finally can wear a 50 without it looking like a bag on me. I felt so inadequate when I was forced to buy in the 40's. Good luck man, it is the jouney that rewards. And by the way, Macy's here sells the new Fezzini line and has impecabbly crafted suits/jackets, with the classic V-line expansion webbing for men of larger proportions. Fits like a glove and the pants hug me in all the right places.

·
6,643 Posts
Congratulations, sans_codpiece. Nice to see someone reaching his goals.

Tell me ... is that dense muscle equally located above and below the kitchen table?

And about those pants/right places. Yo! Dude.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TY AK, always good to get positive reinforcement - my goal for the thread maker when i first posted. Distribution is good, although my quads lag behind my upper body. Yea, I know the hugging pants comment sounded odd, but I always hated baggy clothing and always liked pants that really held things in place. I think the females like to see the outline of things - if you guys know what I mean. A man in a tight suit gives a female material to delight her mental fantasies I was told by my grandfather. He always wore his 3-piece like it was liquid olive oil poured on him. I get lots of glances in the work place, especially when I frame the ole-bojangles down there with a tight pant in the inseam, buttocks, and groinal region. Wonderful web site you have by the way, I need to upgrade some of my accesories.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I used to be a skinny little girly man for years, but proper diet, raging lifting sessions, I have improved my physique and finally can wear a 50 without it looking like a bag on me. I felt so inadequate when I was forced to buy in the 40's. Good luck man, it is the jouney that rewards.
Well, congratulations, I guess. However, it seems to me that mere bulk doth not a he-man make. It's as much attitude. Ahnold, though, would be proud of you, I'm sure!

Unfortunately, that's going to make fitting into most of the latest fashions for men a bit of a chore. Try not to make dress clothes too form fitting. Said Ahnold, while a mere shadow of his former Mr. Universe self, dresses well for his body type, although the drop in waist size for him may not have been very great, based on the view I had of him bending into his Rolls in front of L'Orangerie once as I was driving by. I wonder how he refrains from breaking up Maria, she looked so thin standing on the curb, waiting.

As for the original question: When buying an outer garment, consider what you are likely to wear under it. Might be worthwhile to wear, or carry, those items with you when you try things on. Remember also, different makers, different cuts. Something by Boss might fit differently in the same size as something by, say, Armani. Spanish sizes are at least three too small for an American, for instance, so just try everything on.

If you are buying on line, there is the problem of returning stuff if it doesn't fit. Some sites have size charts. Use those rather then some arbitrary rule. Dress coats are sized to fit over a suit or sport coat of the same size. No need to go up one, although, again, different makers, different cuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.