Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was raised in the 1960s and 70s, and in my household, the F word, sh*t, and others like it were verboten.

Now that I'm an adult (sorta kinda), I still feel funny saying those words in front of others--I just don't feel they have a place in social situations--you don't know who you might be offending...

When alone, I will occasionally swear to myself if something bad happens (stub toe, step in dog excretement, lose $10,000 or more in the Stock Market).

So, what are your views on swearing?

B.A.B.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think it is over used today, and therefore I avoid it. At one time jeans, swearing and tattoos were used to set yourself apart. Now, they just make you part of the herd.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My children, now fourteen and sixteen, have never-ever heard me swear (their mother is another story). While I am capable of using foul language, I find the exercize of self control in the presence of my kids to be quite beneficial...refershing, even.

Buzz

·
Registered
278 Posts
**** yeah! The idea of "bad words" was made up by people. Why is "damn" bad and "apple" good? They are just sounds. Sounds assigned by people to ideas. So start using all of the words that exist! I promise nothing bad will happen to you because of it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My children, now fourteen and sixteen, have never-ever heard me swear (their mother is another story). While I am capable of using foul language, I find the exercize of self control in the presence of my kids to be quite beneficial...refershing, even.

Buzz
But your kids think you're retarded - you can't finish a sentence when you're mad at them.

I'm gonna kick your...you little...go... Oh get out of my face!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
**** yeah! The idea of "bad words" was made up by people. Why is "damn" bad and "apple" good? They are just sounds. Sounds assigned by people to ideas. So start using all of the words that exist! I promise nothing bad will happen to you because of it.
Not true. If I used foul language in the presence of my wife something bad would happen to me. No question. And if you used foul language in the presence of my wife something bad would happen to you, too. Count on it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
But your kids think you're retarded - you can't finish a sentence when you're mad at them.

Ohhhh, I somehow manage to convey my displeasure without resorting to any of George...and dontcha just miss him...Carlin's seven words. I sometimes send them, my kids, scampering to the dictionary (Merriam-Webster's New International: Second Edition) to figure out what I have called them, but they know when they have crossed the line.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Buzz
Same here. Well, there was that one time my (19 yr old) daughter and I were jogging about a year ago and a car came across the rode a bit and buzzed us. I had on a headset listening to music (which we do for part of our longer runs), she had momentarily taken hers off. I though I said "a**hole" under my breath, but you know how it is when you have on headphones. I turned and looked at her and she found it quite humorous. I promised myself that would never happen again.

I practically never drop the F bomb when anyone is within a mile of me. Also, I never heard my father say a curse word.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts

ROFALOL! Point taken. I try not to curse but, frequently fail in the effort. As another poster mentioned, my most conscientious effort to clean it up is evident when I'm with the grand kids (unfortunately, their mothers heard it all, as they were growing up. :(). However, on those occasions that I may slip, I always hear a softly stated and well intended, "Poppa, you bear bad fruit!" After which I apologize profusely and bribe them with ice cream or hot chocolate (depending on the time of the year), not to report me to Grandma! ;)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I probably swear more than I should...though never around clients, children, my mother (though one or two choice ones have been known to slip out now again through the years), my in-laws or strangers.

I reserve my good cussing for when I am really mad!:devil: I could make a sailor blush.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was raised in the 1960s and 70s, and in my household, the F word, sh*t, and others like it were verboten.

Now that I'm an adult (sorta kinda), I still feel funny saying those words in front of others--I just don't feel they have a place in social situations--you don't know who you might be offending...

When alone, I will occasionally swear to myself if something bad happens (stub toe, step in dog excretement, lose $10,000 or more in the Stock Market).

So, what are your views on swearing?

B.A.B.
I had a similar upbringing as you. Such words did not exist. For someone to use the word "h-ll" was on the edge, and the others definitely over. I still remember getting a lecture from my Dad for using the word "God" in a disrespectful manner. And there are a lot of others you hear on TV every day that wouldn't make it where I was raised. Needless to say, I don't use the words.

Funny you bring it up, though.

I was in some meetings within the last week where a rather high-ranking woman exec was present and she kept on using the words "J---s Ch---t" for exclamation. That's enough to make me involuntarily cringe. I also kept on thinking, she's doing a real disservice to the image of her employer (a major national nonprofit) by her speech.

But then I also thought, well at least she's not using the "F bomb" like so many young women do. Nothing would turn me off an otherwise attractive young woman more than to hear that kind of foul language come out of her mouth, although tattoos come close.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
My grandmother's brother cussed like a sailor. Ironically, her other two brothers were sailors, and this one worked at the shipyard during WWII.

My grandmother used bad language exactly once. Our church didn't have an orderly process for communion, so my grandmother was letting far too many people ahead of her as they got out of the pews. My grandfather nudged her. When they got home, all hell broke loose.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've stopped almost entirely since having kids. Never in front of them.

My eight year old was telling me the other day how terrible the F word is, and she wished there wasn't any such awful word. It turns out that she thinks the F word is 'freak'.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.