Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I fold mine at the heel and roll them.

Apparently, there's a technique called the "royal fold" that is what valets are trained to do.

I don't know that the method of folding or rolling would have any impact on the durability.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Doubled

I guess you could call it "rolled," although not in a ball. After pairing them flat, I fold them at the heels. Then I insert the folded end into one of the stockings and pull it over the two as a sort of sheath. The finished package is like an elongated "sock sausage" which stacks pretty neatly in my sock/underwear drawer. To separate, I just pull the elastic ends apart, which are together at the open end of the "sausage."

I have room for two ranks: darks in back, with formal black hose to the right, graduating to the left through solids to patterns in lighter shades, navy to charcoal to lighter grays and blues; lights in front with white to the left, graduating through tans, khakis, and darker brown tones. Used to be a chaos before I organized.

When I want to match trousers with socks, I open the drawer, lay the trousers on the socks, and can then see which ones in the color spectrum come closest. Works for me:icon_smile_big:

I have no idea whether this improves the life of the socks but suspect that it does not. At least there's little chance of a pair becoming separated, and they store nicely.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess you could call it "rolled," although not in a ball. After pairing them flat, I fold them at the heels. Then I insert the folded end into one of the stockings and pull it over the two as a sort of sheath. The finished package is like an elongated "sock sausage" which stacks pretty neatly in my sock/underwear drawer. To separate, I just pull the elastic ends apart, which are together at the open end of the "sausage."
I
+1 on the "sock sausage" - keeps the pair together without any damage

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
For dress socks I just fold them and lay them flat on a shelf. For casual cotton socks I just tie an overhand knot in one to hold the pair together and they just go in a pile. Socks are not a high priority item for me since I do not buy high end brands.

·
Site Creator
11,747 Posts
Do you roll your socks? How do you store your socks? Flat? In half? Rolled into a ball?
I'm trying to find a step to make them last longer.
Do you roll your socks?

I thought you mean while wearing them! Bobby socks style!

I fold mine twice and put them in rows by color so that I can easily see them in a drawer. But I have three drawers full! (Yes sir, yes sir! :icon_smile: )

Khaki in one, Olive, brown and gray in another and black and navy in another.

If I roll them would it take less room? And would they be as visible?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I fold mine at the heel and roll them.

Apparently, there's a technique called the "royal fold" that is what valets are trained to do.

I don't know that the method of folding or rolling would have any impact on the durability.
On executing the royal fold: "We turn the sock inside out and then pull the toe through halfway and make sure it's nice and straight. It has a sense of niceness to it, I think."

from https://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/nyregion/thecity/16butl.html?pagewanted=print

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I reject anything which is at all military oriented....

I felt it was my duty to serve during the cold war, but once discharged, I wanted nothing to do with rolling socks, underwear etc. I fold socks in half and store them stacked in four drawers built into my closet. They are sorted by color and material (cotton, merino). One drawer is for casual socks and three are for dress socks. I have so many because I never match socks to pants, but socks to tie, pocket square and this takes a lot of colors.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I felt it was my duty to serve during the cold war, but once discharged, I wanted nothing to do with rolling socks, underwear etc. I fold socks in half and store them stacked in four drawers built into my closet. They are sorted by color and material (cotton, merino). One drawer is for casual socks and three are for dress socks. I have so many because I never match socks to pants, but socks to tie, pocket square and this takes a lot of colors.
I felt the same way when I got out of the Army and store mine as you do, but in only two drawers.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I fold mine in half and then fold in half again - this makes a small enough package - and then stand them in rows in my sock drawer. They're neat and I can easily see color/pattern (though most are argyle).

I don't like rolling because I feel it adds unnecessary wear to the elastic (and I hate when my socks fall down).

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
once discharged, I wanted nothing to do with rolling socks, underwear etc.
I'm not sure why but almost 40 years later I still fold all of my clothes (when I fold them that is) exactly like I was taught in basic training EXCEPT for my socks. I just lay one on top of the other and fold them over tucking one inside the other.

Cruiser

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.