Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a suit person. I have about 7 MTMs that I wear for work - all 2 button and apart from one dogstooth with side events they are all ventless. I also have 3 'good' ready to wear Ted Lapidus suits that I wear if I'm going somewhere special. I'm 5 8", about 180lb and weight lift so the waist has to taken in on RTW and the coats shortened about an inch. But that's it.I have in other words no real problems. Do other members find it easy to get clothes that fit them?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Pants are my problem area. I am 5'9" tall and 150 pounds which makes it sound like I should be able to wear off the rack fairly well, but I can't. I have long skinny legs (and arms) and like to wear my pants slightly lower than normal which requires a 34" waist. Pants with a 34" waist swallow me, especially when worn slightly lower than the normal waist.

It takes fairly extensive alterations to make off the rack pants fit, and even then not all can be effectively altered. I have some MTM pants that I like, but even MTM requires some touch up by my alterations guy.

I hate to take MTM pants to him though because he is a bespoke tailor and he gives me this look like he's wondering why I don't just let him make me some pants. I would except for the fact that buying MTM and having them further altered is still less expensive than bespoke.

Cruiser

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand Cruiser. Why don't you get your made- to- measure pants altered by the tailor who made them? When I get made -to-measure stuff I don't settle the final bill until I'm 100% satisfied. Are we using MTM in the same sense I wonder?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
For my RTW suits - the 40S blazer fits, just to set need to set the trouser length. All, except one of my non-British blazers have had the sleeve shortened.

Most of my trousers were unfinished and the respective shop altered them or I took them to my tailor. I have got my chinos and one of pair of trousers altered, even though the hem was finished. i have two casual trousers that I still wear that were finished and they fit well.

The only time there an issue when buying clothes is if there is not enough room for my thighs. The last time this happened, I had a choice of getting trousers in 36" instead of 34" or getting different trousers - I did the latter. However, this has only happened twice in the last 3/4 years and I have purchased over a dozen trousers in that time.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't understand Cruiser. Why don't you get your made- to- measure pants altered by the tailor who made them? When I get made -to-measure stuff I don't settle the final bill until I'm 100% satisfied.
I agree, the whole point of MTM is that is it made to fit and one does not need to see a tailor to altered finished products. If I am not happy with the trouser length, I would tell them I will collect the trousers when they fit right.

If I had to take my MTM suits to a tailor, I would minus the tailor cost when I settle the bill. If I ever had to this, I would go somewhere else for a MTM suit.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Don't go so heavy on those squats, Tory Boy.:icon_smile_big: Look how how Arnie's thighs fizzled away to virtually nothing ( by his standards) once he stopped competing.
I used to play rugby and now cycle; hence, the bigger thighs. I avoid doing leg work like squats because it affects cycling/sports and I do not want to promote further growth.

There was a point when I needed to buy 36" trousers because 32" were not wide enough - dropped about 1.5 inch from thigh size and not really a problem now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A pal of mine gets really upset the way I find it so easy to get suits that fit me without any difficulty at all. He just can't seem to get it right - perhaps because his posture is not very good. His problem is he gets frustrated and deals with it really badly and ends up pretending fit doesn't matter. The other day he actually used the term 'fit nazi'! Find a better tailor or do something about your posture I felt like saying!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
About 40 years ago, when I had my first MTM suit I was criticized by an acquaintance for not getting an OTR suit. He said something like ' perfection doesn't exist.' He really was that rare breed a true a stock size, though.
You should have told him that bespoke would look better on him. :icon_smile_big:

MTM is not just about the fit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find OTR is almost always too baggy in the torso, whether shirt, jacket, coat, etc. I do reasonably well with OTR trousers, with little or no modifications and just a good hem.

I'm 5'9", 165, with a runner/triathlete build...at about 5-8% bodyfat. OTR seems like its always meant for someone 50lbs more than me. Its like they think everyone who wears medium should have a 36 or 38 waist. With my 30" waist, shirts become tents.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
5'8" 165 lb. In RTW 42S jacket OK, but I need a 7" drop. Sleeves always need shortening, at least 1/2".

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I don't understand Cruiser. Why don't you get your made- to- measure pants altered by the tailor who made them? When I get made -to-measure stuff I don't settle the final bill until I'm 100% satisfied. Are we using MTM in the same sense I wonder?
He's halfway around the world and it's easier to just take them down the street and get them tweaked exactly the way I want. As I understand MTM, even though it is made to individual specifications, it still comes from standard patterns that are matched as closely as possible to each individual customer, unlike bespoke where the patterns are actually cut to individual specifications. Perhaps a tailor can sort this out for us.

But to get back to your point, if I were a young guy who was going to be buying a lot of pants over the coming years I would certainly work with the MTM guy to get the fit as close as possible the first time; however, I'm essentially retired and likely have enough dress pants to last me for the rest of my life so it just wasn't going to be worth the effort.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
So you go down the RTW road, then? That surprises me. I'd have reckoned were more a MTM kinda guy.
Well, to be honest, I meant he was wise beyond his years for his comment about perfection not existing. The futile quest for perfection is what leads to gentlemen torturing their tailors with endless tweaks, fixes, and fittings. The human body is not perfect, nor are our psyches. We may stand too erect when having something fitted, self conscious as we stare at ourselves in the tailor's mirror. We may eat too much pasta, making the once perfect fit, now not so perfect. That is why I satisfice. I seek good enough for me, recognizing that perfection when it comes to something like clothing fit is not achievable.

I had a friend who lived on my Street growing up who still keeps in contact with me, and he wears Brooks Brothers exclusively. He doesn't even bother having the RTW coats he buys fixed for things like sleeve length and collar roll. He looks better than 99% of the men in the workforce because he actually wears a tie and a proper coat to work, even though it may not fit him perfectly. I view fit for me as a relative concept, and think I fare well, without wasting too much of my life in front of a mirror.

·
Banned
107 Posts
A pal of mine gets really upset the way I find it so easy to get suits that fit me without any difficulty at all. He just can't seem to get it right - perhaps because his posture is not very good. His problem is he gets frustrated and deals with it really badly and ends up pretending fit doesn't matter. The other day he actually used the term 'fit nazi'! Find a better tailor or do something about your posture I felt like saying!
I know a guy just like that. He hates criticism. Despite the fact that he gets all his clothes made they just don't fit him as well as some other guys who just go and buy them. The crazy thing is that he doesn't realize it and doesn't even get his tailor to do proper job. The tailor must wish all his punters were like that!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.