Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The bigger issue...Obama being 4th. Modern US Presidents are the most unimaginative dressers in the world. Boring ass solid blue suits, solid white shirts and solid red or solid blue ties. Snooze-fest. None of it fits right, Obama's ties are too long, etc, etc, etc. And this has nothing to do with politics. Bush was equally as bad.

JB

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Do you agree with Esquire magazine's assessment of Prince Charles being the best dressed man in the world?

No.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The very thought of applying that label is ridiculous because they're only assessing celebrities. What are the honest chances that there isn't someone who never makes it into gossip magazines or on television that is better dressed?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If you like his style then I'm sure he is one of the best dressed men. Personally I don't care for what he is wearing about half the time I see pictures of him. Sometimes he looks more clownish (to me) than well dressed, but that's just because I don't like the style he is wearing.

Well dressed can be a lot of different things to a lot of people, and I think it is possible to be just as well dressed without being such a dandy. But that's just one man's opinion.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Well dressed without doubt but not the best. There probably is no such thing as 'The world's best dressed man'. Every candidate has strengths and weaknesses. Still the yarn filled a page or three

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Well Prince Charles certainly has a personal valet, with an incredible sense of style and, IMHO, the Prince certainly wears well, the clothes his valet hangs on his back and the shoes he slips on his feet! ;)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The bigger issue...Obama being 4th. Modern US Presidents are the most unimaginative dressers in the world. Boring ass solid blue suits, solid white shirts and solid red or solid blue ties. Snooze-fest. None of it fits right, Obama's ties are too long, etc, etc, etc. And this has nothing to do with politics. Bush was equally as bad.

JB
I agree. It is unfortunate that the presidents feel that they must give up any sense of personal style just to try to please all.

I liked this quote:

London Mayor Boris Johnson -- renowned for his slightly chaotic appearance -- was also criticised for having "jacket pockets like second-hand bookshops, and hair the result of an encounter with a ghost in a wind tunnel".
Exactly my impression of him at the Olympic closing ceremonies.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It really is impossible to label someone the best dressed man in the world, especially if you only look at famous people. The editor of American Esquire agreed that it was ridiculous for President Obama to be ranked at all, much less 4th.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, not the best. I like the comments to the effect that the best dressed is probably among those who do not appear in any celebrity column. Also, where are the button downs and sacks on the so called A-lists? Does any celeb own 986s or tassels?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm a Prince Michael of Kent man myself but I don't have a problem with Prince Charles topping the list. Given the sad state of politicians' dress, one would be hard-pressed to find someone better.

As for Barack Obama...well, he dresses like an American president, doesn't he?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Prince Charles is the world's best dressed man. . . who doesn't have anything better to do and is in the public eye all the time. Given his tailors, shoemaker, valet and budget, many in this forum might top him. His style is high English, and far more dandyish than his fellow royals. For example, King Juan Carlos of Spain dresses well, but his style is understated, while Charles always looks like he is in costume. What Charles lacks is insouciance. He is too perfectly turned out, albeit quite properly. Followers of trad prefer a less fussy approach, as does the old tweedy gentry of England, from whom we inherited Ivy League ways. And, yes, I vote for Patrick.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Prince Charles is the world's best dressed man. . . who doesn't have anything better to do and is in the public eye all the time. Given his tailors, shoemaker, valet and budget, many in this forum might top him. His style is high English, and far more dandyish than his fellow royals. For example, King Juan Carlos of Spain dresses well, but his style is understated, while Charles always looks like he is in costume. What Charles lacks is insouciance. He is too perfectly turned out, albeit quite properly. Followers of trad prefer a less fussy approach, as does the old tweedy gentry of England, from whom we inherited Ivy League ways. And, yes, I vote for Patrick.
What is it with you American ignoramuses continuously insulting HRH the Prince of Wales, claiming that he does nothing.

Also, what exactly is costume about his clothing? He wears a pretty predictable outfit of 6X2 double breasted suit (or Highland dress whilst in Scotland) - the colour changes but the main outfit remains the same.

"Followers of trad" have little conception of understated elegance, believing patchwork madras to be an example of it.

Stop writing about people and things that you don't understand.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.