Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so both my mother and my wife have this thing about "matching" - as they call it - whereby the tie, in order to "match" a jacket, has to have some color in it that is identical to a color somewhere in the jacket. It's about "bringing out, for example, an otherwise subtle color." Sans this identity, the items don't "match".

I get this, I suppose, but I don't see why or how this is the only criterion for deciding what "goes" together. What about complementarity, etc.? Why doesn't something like this (see photo) go? [The jacket is a bit darker toned than it appears].

So, we were just having brunch and my wife told me if I think this tie goes with that jacket, I must be color blind. Well, what do you think - am I color blind? Well, maybe I am lol :)

Please be kind if you should choose to respond :) We're both reading this with anticipation. No, our marriage doesn't hang in the balance. I think lol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think ‘coordinate’ is a better word choice. I think it’s a lovely pairing. The colors are of similar value, the patterns quiet. I believe the textures are similar, but different enough to offer contrast. I may not have an extensive wardrobe, but I do have a formal education in artistic design.
Hope you both have more insightful and helpful comments henceforth.
HNY,
Clintotron

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think 'coordinate' is a better word choice. I think it's a lovely pairing. The colors are of similar value, the patterns quiet. I believe the textures are similar, but different enough to offer contrast. I may not have an extensive wardrobe, but I do have a formal education in artistic design.
Hope you both have more insightful and helpful comments henceforth.
HNY,
Clintotron
Thanks - yes, that's a better word choice: "coordinate."

Cool that you have that background.

What do you mean by "colors of a similar value"? I have zero background in color theory/design, etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
“Value” is the lightness or darkness of a color. “Hue” is the base of the color in question (unaffected by value or saturation). “Saturation” is the intensity of the color. Color theory can be very interesting and much more useful in design, whether it be fashion, residential/commercial interiors, websites, advertising, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Value" is the lightness or darkness of a color. "Hue" is the base of the color in question (unaffected by value or saturation). "Saturation" is the intensity of the color. Color theory can be very interesting and much more useful in design, whether it be fashion, residential/commercial interiors, websites, advertising, etc.

Thanks! Very interesting stuff; I suppose I have simply gone by how I've seen well-dressed men in my life coordinate colors/fabrics/textures, etc. - I've never really studied them closely - much less the principles behind such pairings - but rather sort of absorbed an aesthetic via their example by osmosis, so to speak.

Anyway, I thought the tie worked beautifully; was a bit surprised by my wife's comment. Though I shouldn't have been because it's come up before; funny thing is, my mother always says the same thing. No doubt a conspiracy :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
The terms Clintotron mentioned are spot on. They’re a great way to better understand why some things look good together and some dont. And its not just the color of the clothes — ones skin tone, hair, and even eye color are just as important when choosing what to wear.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well, not to sound misogynistic or anything, but women are fed a lot of BS by "designers" of clothes and furnishings, and they swallow it. There are no such requirements in real life.
Don't necessarily agree. There's a body of thought that in general women match and men contrast. In that case, I can see her opininion that they don't match; however they shouldn't, so...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Don't necessarily agree. There's a body of thought that in general women match and men contrast. In that case, I can see her opininion that they don't match; however they shouldn't, so...
Just that I've heard women going on about something "picking up" a color so often, in patterns that are complex and have very little of the color in question
(e.g., sofa and curtains five yards apart), that I question if they're exercising independent judgement

Although that "match vs. contrast" strikes me as probably correct.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just that I've heard women going on about something "picking up" a color so often, in patterns that are complex and have very little of the color in question
(e.g., sofa and curtains five yards apart), that I question if they're exercising independent judgement

Although that "match vs. contrast" strikes me as probably correct.
Funny you say that - "picking up" a color, exactly what my mother says. Never quite understood what she was talking about. Those patterns that are complex - which they want to "pick up" colors in - are themselves made up of contrasting colors. Etc.

Interesting, the whole women tend to match, men contrast thing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well, not to sound misogynistic or anything, but women are fed a lot of BS by "designers" of clothes and furnishings, and they swallow it. There are no such requirements in real life.
In all fairness, look around at all the too-short, too-tight suits, pants and jackets EVERYWHERE these days. Men like to eat the BS, too. Lol

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Blue obcd, brown bluchers, and brown flannel pants and you're ready to go. The commentary from others is spot on: those don't match, but they also oughtn't. They do compliment each other, however, which is what counts (who has a tie that matches his jacket? nobody I've ever met).

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The main thing is to make sure you're wife isn't trying to dress you so you'll coordinate with *her* outfit; I catch my wife doing this at times!

That said, I think of matching clothes to be a bit like rhyming in poetry: it's a good place to start, but once mastered, it's time to move on and take some risks.

Personally I'm neither a fan of matching nor contrast; I just prefer what I'd call proportionality. One hue or pattern blends nicely into an adjacent one if they're proportional to one another.

If I had time I'd love to try something like layering two plaids such that their proportions correspond to the Golden Section (that it, if you divide the patch area of one plaid by another, you'd find a 1.62 ration). I'm convinced that it would work! You'd have to find a way to compare colors, as well (factoring in logarithmic data compression of human sensation); it's harder with colors because visible light has such a constricted wavelength range (if we take the deepest, 380nm violet light, we're then pairing it with a 615nm orange, which could work, but it doesn't leave us with a very dynamic range of combinations).

Anyway, it's fun to think about, applying rules of Classical aesthetics to men's dress! (Also a way to fluster the less-mathematical wife at dressing time... turnabout being fair play and the like!)

DH

·
Registered
862 Posts
I’ll echo Dhaller and add this: step out and be daring. I constantly pair different items before wearing. My wardrobe is not quite as extensive as many fellow AAACers, so once I see a blend that I like, I can take it and run with it. For instance: I know that Shirt A and Tie C play nicely together, I can try them with Vest D and Jacket B, that are known to work well together, themselves.
Color is important, but what I didn’t consider for a long time is texture. WOW. Texture makes a big difference. I’ll marry a typical woven neck tie with an OCBD, a herringbone vest and standard weave tweed (I confess I don’t know that much about weaves and their nomenclature) jacket and have had great results.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Okay so both my mother and my wife have this thing about "matching" - as they call it - whereby the tie, in order to "match" a jacket, has to have some color in it that is identical to a color somewhere in the jacket. It's about "bringing out, for example, an otherwise subtle color." Sans this identity, the items don't "match".

I get this, I suppose, but I don't see why or how this is the only criterion for deciding what "goes" together. What about complementarity, etc.? Why doesn't something like this (see photo) go? [The jacket is a bit darker toned than it appears].

So, we were just having brunch and my wife told me if I think this tie goes with that jacket, I must be color blind. Well, what do you think - am I color blind? Well, maybe I am lol :)

Please be kind if you should choose to respond :) We're both reading this with anticipation. No, our marriage doesn't hang in the balance. I think lol.
Also, I'm noticing the coordination of the buttons with the stripes of the tie. I would pair these with great eagerness. I would be fortunate to have both of these items (in my side) in my wardrobe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.