Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To clarify the question, do shoes feel and/or fit differently, depending on things like humidity or other factors?

By way of example, I have a pair of AE Jacksons that seem to alternate between fitting nicely and fitting painfully. Mostly it's a matter of rubbing on the heel bone on one foot below the achilles tendon (below the top of the counter,) but sometimes they feel tighter than expected around the toes. Same sock thickness in all cases and they always get shoe trees put in the moment I take them off.

My theories on this are:
- My feet may vary in size due to diet and activity
- Humidity levels may affect how the leather stretches
- I may be tying them differently, without realizing it
- I may be imagining it?

After 20 wearings or so, I expect they're probably as broken in as they're likely to get, so this is probably not the right last for my feet. I love how the shoes look, though, so I guess I'd rather resort to a band-aid on the heel than get rid of them. The shoe that rubs usually feels looser at the heel than the other.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Foot size can vary considerably over time, even within a single day. My offhand guess is that the shoes are just a bit too narrow, hence the "squeeze" you feel at times.

Try weighing yourself sometime at intervals from awakening in the morning to just before bed - you'll find your weight varies by 3-5 lbs or so during the course of the day. This is water weight, and foot size is pretty susceptible to it.

DH

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My weight could factor in, here. I put on an extra 30 pounds (ugh) the last six months, so maybe the 11's I normally wear should have been 11.5? I've no intention to keep the weight, so hopefully it will improve as it comes back down.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Weight definitely can factor into it.

Though the feet don't look exceptionally fat, gaining 30 lbs. could put you in another size altogether. I couldn't fit into a 13D 2 years ago, but today they are comfortable.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The idea of leather shoes having moods, as a means of assigning a degree of reason to the vagaries of foot comfort is rather quaint. However, it is my opinion (as well as it seems the opinion of most prior respondents to this thread) that the variations in fit described above, are more appropriately ascribed to the moods of man, rather than the mood of the leather shoes! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.