Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that, with age, the fat pads on your feet flatten out, the bones expand a tad, and that feet become wider.

Do feet grow longer with age, or will they more or less always be the same length?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My understanding is that feet do not actually grow, but become both longer and wider with age from the loss of muscle, etc.

My feet were once a 9 but are now a 9.5--I lost a lot of good shoes in that change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There's a funny scene in "The Big Chill" where one character, the owner of a shoe store, is asking for the others' sizes so he can give them running shoes. One guy responds that his shoe size has changed, and he's told, "Your feet get bigger as you get older," and he shoots back, "I wish everything did."

Probably not the scientific/medical answer you were looking for ...

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
My feet reached their present length when I was 15. They have remained unchanged for 52 years. They did widen from B/C to a D width in my 40s. I had been doing a great deal of running and hiking in the previous years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Interesting. He mentions that your arch can collapse, which widens and lengthens your foot.

I have high arches.

I'm struggling with buying cordovan. If I have them for 10+ years - which for the price I'm paying, I absolutely expect - I'd like not to grow out of them.

So do I buy for where I am, or where I'll be?
Chili how old are you?

This happened to me at approx. 40 years old or so.

I lost a pair of Alden monks, two pairs of cordovan shoes and a pair of AEs. Others have stretched with my feet or were on lasts that are more forgiving--I would be cautious.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I understand that, with age, the fat pads on your feet flatten out, the bones expand a tad, and that feet become wider.

Do feet grow longer with age, or will they more or less always be the same length?

Thanks in advance.
Yes.
When I was one year old I had a pair of mocassins smaller than half my fist.
Now my mocassins are the size of 4 of my fists.

And yes, my fists grew with my feet.
But not for many years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chili how old are you?

This happened to me at approx. 40 years old or so.

I lost a pair of Alden monks, two pairs of cordovan shoes and a pair of AEs. Others have stretched with my feet or were on lasts that are more forgiving--I would be cautious.
I'm 32.

I'm looking at Alden Longwings. I have a 9D on order. The 9C was clearly too narrow, to the point where it hurt just to stand in them. There is sufficient space in the toe box with a 9, but if my feet were to grow half a size, maybe that wouldn't be the case anymore. But I can see the 9.5's being too big, at least the way my feet are currently.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes.

I used to instantly go 6 feet to get the remote control. These days it seems like miles...

As for feet on the end of legs, yes. I was a 12.5 at age 19-30, and now I am a 13 and verging on 13.5 depending on the make of shoe. However, I also grew about 2 inches from age 30-40...which is kind of kooky, but it happened. That myth of shrinking with age doesn't apply. I'm contrarian.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm 32.

I'm looking at Alden Longwings. I have a 9D on order. The 9C was clearly too narrow, to the point where it hurt just to stand in them. There is sufficient space in the toe box with a 9, but if my feet were to grow half a size, maybe that wouldn't be the case anymore. But I can see the 9.5's being too big, at least the way my feet are currently.
I am not sure there is a clear answer. My guess is, no matter what, you will get 10 years from there. I remember my first Cordovans. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Sometime in the last few years (42 now), my left foot (always just a wee bit longer than the right) has gained a full 1/2 size on my right.

I have very high arches. They've not widened that I can tell but they now are mismatched enough that buying shoes that fit left and work right is a real challenge.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Sometime in the last few years (42 now), my left foot (always just a wee bit longer than the right) has gained a full 1/2 size on my right.
Same age, same problem, different feet.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Guys? Some of your feet have enlarged a half-size over several decades???

My adult size has gone from an 8.5 or 9 twenty-five years ago to an 11 or 11.5 now. And I weigh about the same. I walk miles every day, which I love, and for years I have worked standing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.