Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For pure entertainment value, I sent a DNA sample in to MyHeritageDNA to see what the result might be. I received the "data" today...

65.8% Scandinavian
20.0% Iberian
12.1% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
1.1% Nigerian
1.0% North African

Given that my family is documented as solidly Anglo-German for the past 400+ years, I must admit that I was excited by the dash of Nigerian salt on the top of my genetic bowl of mixed nuts.

I suddenly feel compelled to ask for assistance in transferring several million dollars out of my home country and have been led by the Lord Jesus to contact you all to assist me in transferring the funds which I will gladly share with my AAAC brothers.

Have any others played this parlor game, and if so, what was the result?

Have a mostly blessed day!

BSR

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
BSR, you are a very naughty boy.

I am given to understand that these mail order DNA tests are wholly unreliable.

You and I may be able to trace the purity of our ancestry back several hundred years - 12th century on my father's side with my paternal family remaining within a few square miles ever since that first available record. As an aside, childless and intending to remain so, I am the last of my line - which will doubtless be something of a relief to several of our members.

Celts on my maternal side with few specific records (births marriages and deaths were not customarily recorded for those before my grandfather's Highland generation) but significant mythology of our bloodthirsty Viking heritage.

However, take pity on the anchorless offspring of miscegenators and/or feckless progenitors who urgently require a heritage no matter how concocted.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,028 Posts
I find the ethnicity tests complete hooey. You want a genuine DNA test go to Genographic. It will trace your ancestry clear back to Africa but it won't tell you anything except haplotypes and how much Neanderthal and Devisonian you are.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Wondering if there are any real Italians. They ruled so much of Europe and the Middle East and beyond, and breed with all of them, how could there be any real pure breed Italians?

Moms Scandinavian and dad is Irish and probably some British (the Italians were in Britain 2,000 years ago, not to mention others). No DNA test yet. And not sure if they really could know. But the speculation would be interesting to see. How many vikings brought women from elsewhere? And leaving children in their travels. Europe is a smorgasbord.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The various DNA/heredity kits are not particularly accurate.

Maybe they give a ballpark - offhand I don't know the kinds of error tolerances built into their analytics - but at least for now they're (IMHO) semi-novelties.

DH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ethnicity and nationality are politico-social constructs. Some companies focus on genetic ancestry, some on ethnicity and nationality. Ancestry dot com is among the latter. 23andMe is somewhere in between.

For example my family: as far as we know we are Italian and Sicilian (born there and in the US) for generations. However, my results from a further analysis show:

North Atlantic 20.52%
Baltic 6.74%
West Med 21.62%
West Asian 12.74%
East Med 30.66%

These are the genetics populations, not ethnicities that make me "Italian". This confirmed my suspicions that we have northern European ancestry, very likely Norman based on our surname. Further breaking that down (there are free services such as Gedmatch that analyze deeper ancestry) I show about 13% Middle Eastern/Red Sea area. My y-DNA (paternal) is T-M70, originating in that area about 30,000 years ago. Being half Sicilian I suspected there is a Middle Eastern/SW Asian component. My mitochondrial DNA (maternal) is HV4 and originated in the Caucasus area about 35,000 years ago.

The point is that depending on what one's goal is in having these tests done, one can be either very disappointed, shocked, amused or it can support one's suspicions of of their ancestry, as it did mine. While I'm not going to do something like "trade my lederhosen for a kilt", this did pique my interest in my northern European ancestry... that which makes me "Italian"; the Normans, Vandals and Vikings themselves were prominent in south Italy Norman Conquest of Southern Italy.

Good or bad, this is the sort of thing you can find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wondering if there are any real Italians. They ruled so much of Europe and the Middle East and beyond, and breed with all of them, how could there be any real pure breed Italians?
No, Italy and the Mediterranean has been a crossroads for millennia. In reality, there are virtually no "real" anythings. Surprisingly, Africa has more genetic diversity than almost anywhere else on Earth.

Sicily, for example, was colonized around 3800BCE. https://www.bestofsicily.com/history2.htm Then came the Greeks, Vandals, Normans, Arabs; some stayed, some left. This is why you can find black haired, olive skinned Sicilians, and blond/red haired, blue eyed, fair skinned Sicilians.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a Hillbilly, raised in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain range ...how would that show up on a DNA ethnicity panel? LOL. :icon_scratch:
Probably Scots-Irish as ethnicity, North Atlantic for deeper genetics. Most of Appalachia is of Scots-Irish descent.

Reactions: eagle2250

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Probably Scots-Irish as ethnicity, North Atlantic for deeper genetics. Most of Appalachia is of Scots-Irish descent.
Well then, that settles it. I've got to go out and buy me another Kilt! If this keeps up, I'm going to have more box pleats hanging on my side of the closet, than the wife has on hers. LOL. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got to go out and buy me another Kilt!
Just make sure it's the proper clan tartan! You don't want to start another Hatfields and McCoys war! :eek: I mean, they just settled the feud not long ago.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,028 Posts
Snicker Mother's family came over from Wales in about 1690 and who knows what got mixed in over the ensuing 300+ years. Dad's parents came off the boat from Puglia and carry that interesting haplotype that essentially says I'm genetically Jewish, as does the family name. Given the behavior of the Italian Jewish population in Medieval times, this makes perfect sense. Does it matter? Hardly. Is it a subject of amusement? Well, yeah.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I belive that the ethnographic extrapolation of these DNA tests are a load of bunk. Barring an illegitimate birth from some swarthy non european, my family is solidly Scots/English/German in its lineage. I do hope that as more data from non middle class white people is collected, the targeting of specific lineage groups will become more specific. However, I am highly suspect of the European communities used to establish the base line for many of these services. My maternal and paternal family lines have come from the same two counties in Georgia and Alabama since the 1830's when the Cherokee were forced out. How many areas of Europe can claim the same "genetic" stability during the same period?

Cheers,

BSR

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hi All,

For pure entertainment value, I sent a DNA sample in to MyHeritageDNA to see what the result might be. I received the "data" today...

65.8% Scandinavian
20.0% Iberian
12.1% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
1.1% Nigerian
1.0% North African

Given that my family is documented as solidly Anglo-German for the past 400+ years, I must admit that I was excited by the dash of Nigerian salt on the top of my genetic bowl of mixed nuts.

I suddenly feel compelled to ask for assistance in transferring several million dollars out of my home country and have been led by the Lord Jesus to contact you all to assist me in transferring the funds which I will gladly share with my AAAC brothers.

Have any others played this parlor game, and if so, what was the result?

Have a mostly blessed day!

BSR
While I have no clue as to the validity/accuracy of any such tests I tend to view most popular large business undertakings with extreme cynicism. (Having been so educated by 40 years in business.) There is, however, one thing that may or may not be of interest as reflected in your results; and it is that many Irish will show varying degrees of DNA which originated on the Iberian peninsula. And this data derives from legitimate scientific testing. The reason being that this is now believed the source of the original inhabitants of Britain and Ireland. This before the Celts and all the other Germanic tribes showed up, and the Danes decided to pay an extended visit.

I'm a Hillbilly, raised in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain range ...how would that show up on a DNA ethnicity panel? LOL. :icon_scratch:
An admixture of Bob Cat and Grizzly Bar! :pirate:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At least DNA can settle my lingering gender confusion. I appear to be solidly XY.

But we all know that science is nothing more than another viewpoint and all are equally valid, so I can choose to ignore science and embrace another equally valid viewpoint when I like. Relativism is, like the future...man!

Now where did I put my $30 gallon of "raw water"?

Cheers,

BSR

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.