Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,865 Posts
What do you mean Halloween costumes, those are their school clothes! And I agree. The marketing in even lower-end stores has these kids dressing like little tramps. Not my daughter!
I have an eight-year-old niece. I give her a dress for her birthday in October that's for her Santa Claus picture, and a dress for Christmas that's suitable for the entire winter.

Now that she's gone from the 4-6X department to the 7-20, it's much much harder to find tasteful, modest clothing.

It seems that the stores are trying to tell these little girls that as soon as they're old enough to have more input into how they dress, they'll want to break free of the feminine, tasteful clothes and start wearing tight t-shirts with "Juicy" written across the chest.

Fortunately, my niece isn't like that.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
As a society, we've become more and more sexualized, and while sex per se, isn't wrong, but natural, there does arise a problem when kids younger than high school age are dressing sexually, having sex, and getting screwed up emotionally.
I think it's part of an effort to create a prolonged adolescence. Elementary school children are dressing like sluts, and turning 21 means your irresponsible teenage years can go on forever, but now with alcohol! No wonder people in their thirties are moving back in with their parents - they've been convinced that someone else is responsible for their well-being, and their only role in life is to have a good time and wait for someone else to clean up the mess.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I know what you mean. My daughter is 7 but, since she takes after me (6'6"), she is already as tall as many 10-11 year olds. The clothing sold is not appropriate for an 11 year old girl and is definately NOT appropriate for on who is seven! Thank G*d for Land's End.
I've been pleased with things I get from April Cornell, but there may be a gap between my niece's current size and the smallest ladies' size. :(

If money is no object, Best & Company is excellent. They're located in Greenwich, CT and at Bergdorf Goodman, which should give you an idea of their price point.

It's a shame Brooks Brothers doesn't do girls' clothes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.