Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brown cord sportcoat that was too long in the sleeve. Its a real nice coat.
The tailor insisted that the he could roll up the sleeve and close off the functional button hole, letting the sewn hole sit right at the edge of the cuff, and it "wouldn't be noticeable."
In the end, its not all that noticeable, and he did the best he could. I am being picky though, and I'd like it to look more finished. There is also some additional fraying at the cuff.

I would like to install some kind of piping around the edge of the cuff, like I have seen on some PRL hacking or hunting coats. I usually wouldn't like that, but given the circumstances, its probably the best thing for me to do.

Where on earth do I get the leather to bring to the tailor to sew around the cuff? Is there any other material that might work well here? Chino?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, this is my first action. I am also going to check the local thrift store for some old coats with elbow patches that I might pilfer.
I am hoping to find somewhere I can just buy the piping though.

secondary question: do you think the tailor would be able to stitch through leather, or is that some really heavy duty work?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
do you think the tailor would be able to stitch through leather, or is that some really heavy duty work?
It depends on the leather and the type equipment the tailor has. Some fashion leather is thin enough that most alterations tailors can deal with it, but anything very heavy often requires special equipment. My guy has a special sewing machine that he uses for leather, such as my motorcycle jacket that a couple of folks said they couldn't sew.

Cruiser

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.