Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First we find out the fireworks were digitally enhanced, officially sanctioned by the chinese government. Next we find out the little girl did the old lip sinc because the real kid was deemed not cute enough. now we find out the chinese girl gymnists are old enough to participate yet the chinese government issued them passports with false ages and they now each have a gold medal. what else are we going to learn that the chinese are faking?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
NBC

My main problem has been with NBC. I am pretty sure they spent more camera time on politicians than atheletes at the opening ceremonies.

Every four years I am reminded that NBC doesn't do very good coverage of the Olympics.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I've had a couple of reactions. Of course I agree with you that cheating by the Chinese government is galling, even if it's in an activity, such as gymnastics or fireworks displays, that shouldn't be in the Olympics anyway. (One of my rules--if you can't time it, measure it, or count it, out it goes.) I also saw some press coverage last night of a western TV reporter being scooped up in a police van and carted away, apparently for trying to cover a protest. I think that might be a bigger source of the problem: China is a repressive regime and, far from having the presumably desired effect of pressuring them to open up, the IOC is, as one commentator put it, "on its knees giving China a **** ***."

I have to say, though, that I'm endlessly annoyed at NBC's coverage. I remember watching the Olympics many years ago, like back in the 1960's. Then, it seemed like you saw everything, or at least a lot more: multiple heats of the races, almost every shot put and discus throw (in the finals anyway), whole basketball games, every dive--you get the idea. Now, even though the hours devoted to the coverage are many multiples of what was on TV then, you're lucky if you ever see a heat, game, or round of any competition that the United States isn't favored to win.

It may be better next week when the "real" Olympics (i.e. track) start, but I'm not betting a lot on that.

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
My main problem has been with NBC. I am pretty sure they spent more camera time on politicians than atheletes at the opening ceremonies.

Every four years I am reminded that NBC doesn't do very good coverage of the Olympics.
I noticed the same thing.
As for the fireworks, didn't they do that for safety? I'm sure I read that somewhere...something about the helicopter pilot's safety.

I was really disappointed to see the Swedish wrestler throw his bronze medal down....very poor sportsmanship.

I have enjoyed watching Michael Phelps dominate in swimming, but have really enjoyed watching the women's beach volleyball games...Yowza!

·
3,590 Posts
I've had a couple of reactions. Of course I agree with you that cheating by the Chinese government is galling, even if it's in an activity, such as gymnastics or fireworks displays, that shouldn't be in the Olympics anyway. (One of my rules--if you can't time it, measure it, or count it, out it goes.) I also saw some press coverage last night of a western TV reporter being scooped up in a police van and carted away, apparently for trying to cover a protest. I think that might be a bigger source of the problem: China is a repressive regime and, far from having the presumably desired effect of pressuring them to open up, the IOC is, as one commentator put it, "on its knees giving China a **** ***."

I have to say, though, that I'm endlessly annoyed at NBC's coverage. I remember watching the Olympics many years ago, like back in the 1960's. Then, it seemed like you saw everything, or at least a lot more: multiple heats of the races, almost every shot put and discus throw (in the finals anyway), whole basketball games, every dive--you get the idea. Now, even though the hours devoted to the coverage are many multiples of what was on TV then, you're lucky if you ever see a heat, game, or round of any competition that the United States isn't favored to win.

It may be better next week when the "real" Olympics (i.e. track) start, but I'm not betting a lot on that.
I kind of feel the same way about gymnastics. Sure they are in great shape, and do some pretty cool stuff, but I have no idea what is going on in regards to scoring. I'm not a fan of sports that require judges to determine who wins.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I kind of feel the same way about gymnastics. Sure they are in great shape, and do some pretty cool stuff, but I have no idea what is going on in regards to scoring. I'm not a fan of sports that require judges to determine who wins.
I agree. Things that can be definitively decided by the athletes, without question, are great. Things that are voted on, not so much. There's no interpretation to decide who finished a race first, or who jumped the farthest, or who scored more points in a basketball game.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree. Things that can be definitively decided by the athletes, without question, are great. Things that are voted on, not so much. There's no interpretation to decide who finished a race first, or who jumped the farthest, or who scored more points in a basketball game.
You don't think officials interpret rules and have an effect on who wins in basketball games? See the 1972 U.S. Olympic basketball team. I do agree that the U.S. gymnasts and the U.S. divers have thus far been screwed by the judging. In particular, the diving judge from New Zeland hates the U.S.

·
3,590 Posts
You don't think officials interpret rules and have an effect on who wins in basketball games? See the 1972 U.S. Olympic basketball team. I do agree that the U.S. gymnasts and the U.S. divers have thus far been screwed by the judging. In particular, the diving judge from New Zeland hates the U.S.
They can have an effect, but it's not quite the same thing. In gymnastics, they don't just get point for doing something like a backflip on the bar. In basketball, a player can make the ugliest layup in the world and fall on his face, but if the ball goes in the basket he gets 2 points. Likewise, if a player does an unbelievable dunk or graceful layup, he also gets 2 points.
So yes, refs can make a bad call and change the outcome of the game, but most of the game is decided by who scores the most points. In gymnastics, the judges decide everything.

I also don't consider golf, bowling, curling, archery, shooting, race car driving etc. to be sports, though I enjoy watching and participating in many of these activities. Skiing, track and swimming are sports because the athletes are competing directly with an opponent (or clock representing an opponent).

Edit: to add to this, you can also play a basketball game without refs and still easily determine the winner. People do it everyday in pickup games all across the country.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Oh come on, what's the big deal? With all the pollution and bad weather in Beijing can you blame them for having back-up fireworks on video? I seem to recall an Olympics not too long ago with an arrow being fired into (and missing) the Olympic flame and the the flame still mysteriously lighting. Like with any big show, you've got to have a bit of trickery to make it work backed up with contingency planning. And, as for the little girl, that's society's fault for putting pressure on them to think that an ugly girl would not have gone down as well. Is any modern society any different? Furthermore, they think that's what the West wants because that's the image we project. Conversely, if she had a hairy chin and a lazy eye I hope our first reaction would have been to applaud their nobility.

Anyway, from what I can gather in the papers, Lord Coe has paid very careful attention to the Chinese approach. Knowing that London cannot emulate the huge budget in Beijing (within the Stadium for things that actually happened) he has taken their lead and gone a step further by contracting Peter Jackson and the WETA workshop. As an added bonus to the opening ceremony scene, the UK now has plans to enter a cave troll in the discus and a brace of wood elves in the 25m rapid fire pistol.

Roll on 2012!

·
Registered
520 Posts
While I'm American, it seems like NBC can find the time to show every medal ceremony when the US wins gold, but few if another country wins gold. I'd like to see a little more balance in the coverage.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh come on, what's the big deal? With all the pollution and bad weather in Beijing can you blame them for having back-up fireworks on video?
Remember who was in charge of developing the opening ceremony. China's #1 cinematographer... What did you expect?? Is anything in Hollywood real?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You have to realise that they are being reshaped in the Walmart image. My guess is that they view all of this as show biz. The reality is secondary to the TV image.
I can't see what was wrong with the looks of the singer. There must be some cultural difference when defining cute. That and the fact that I am missing Andy of Mayberry are my only complaints.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
What do you expect when the Olympic's are held in a quasi-Stalinist state. I'm watching for the sheer enjoyment of sport. I watched a really exciting men's volleyball match this morning between Brazil and Russia. Watching May/Walsh take on the Belgians right now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also don't consider golf, bowling, curling, archery, shooting, race car driving etc. to be sports, though I enjoy watching and participating in many of these activities. Skiing, track and swimming are sports because the athletes are competing directly with an opponent (or clock representing an opponent).
This may be splitting hairs, but for something to be a "sport" you have to be able to play defense or at lease to defend something. Everything else is an activity. Thus, track, bowling, archery, swimming, etc. are not sports while curling, basketball, baseball, race car driving, etc. are. The Olympics is not about just sports - it is about competing.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
This may be splitting hairs, but for something to be a "sport" you have to be able to play defense or at lease to defend something. Everything else is an activity. Thus, track, bowling, archery, swimming, etc. are not sports while curling, basketball, baseball, race car driving, etc. are. The Olympics is not about just sports - it is about competing.
Racing a car is a sport while running isn't?

Diving is a sport while swimming isn't?

·
3,590 Posts
I still say swimming and track qualify because you have to outswim/outrun your opponents. I'm not sure about curling. There is physical activity involved and teamwork and you do defend something, so I guess curling could be considered a sport. I love to watch curling btw, and have tried to get a club started here.
I have heard all of the reasons that auto racing should be considered a sport and I just don't agree...same goes for horse racing and sailing. Crew is though, since they are actually rowing the boat to make it move.

I also realize that the Olympics is not just about sports. I don't really mind all of the different events they have, sports are just my favorite...btw, I even watched the gymnastics finals tonight! I do think gymnastics needs a better way to score things.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've real enjoyed watching Phelps do his thing. Absolutely phenomenal. 6 Medals so far, and each one in World Record time.

Seeing the women gymnasts make a great comeback from the team competition to take a gold and silver in the overall was really nice to see.

My daughter is a rower, so she and I have stayed to the wee hours of the morning to watch the rowing competitions. Good stuff.

As for the Chicoms trying to impress, no biggie to me. Every country tries to put on a fine show for the world. I don't think they are fooling anybody with a brain.

Overall, (and so far) I've enjoyed it more than I had expected.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.