Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
679 Posts
I believe it is perfectly acceptable, WDF. Isn't that called wearing "an odd waistcoat?"

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is perfectly acceptable, WDF. Isn't that called wearing "an odd waistcoat?"

Kind Regards,

Chase
You know,I was going to use that term but I was afraid it that it wouldn't be the correct term.By the way,since most people refer to me as WDF,I think I'm going to make that my signature.:icon_smile:

· Registered
863 Posts
I've been thinking about this myself. I have a stroller where the jacket and vest are both the same charcoal fabric.

I was thinking of getting a second vest for summertime wear, probably in buff linen.

I was wondering if it would be okay to wear this buff linen vest with my black and white glen plaid suit (1B SB peak lapel jacket).

I was thinking a SB vest with lapels.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been thinking about this myself. I have a stroller where the jacket and vest are both the same charcoal fabric.

I was thinking of getting a second vest for summertime wear, probably in buff linen.

I was wondering if it would be okay to wear this buff linen vest with my black and white glen plaid suit (1B SB peak lapel jacket).

I was thinking a SB vest with lapels.
I have a buff linen waistcoat which I use for morning dress and stroller in the Summer,but it's DB PL.

· Registered
2,603 Posts

· Registered
3,539 Posts
Odd waistcoats are a wonderful way of giving your wardrobe a lot more variety. Try having them made up with understated checks or narrow pinstripes on a cream or dove grey background. Linen and cotton is more of a summer thing.

I am also less fussy with the weight of cloth for waistcoating. I am quite happy for it to be 7 Oz or 20 Oz, silk, mohair, cotton, linen, cashmere or even super wools.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
302 Posts
I am also less fussy with the weight of cloth for waistcoating. I am quite happy for it to be 7 Oz or 20 Oz, silk, mohair, cotton, linen, cashmere or even super wools.
Oh no, Sator! But your standards! I actually wonder what you look like dressed up. I'd probably be very impressed, though I don't think I could pull much of it off.

That having been said, Welldressedfellow, you DO ask really good questions, many of which you beat me to!

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Both outfits look very nice!I could see that with a solid navy blue blazer.And congrats on proposing!I assume she said yes?
That is exactly what I was thinking of wearing it with. I recently aquired an Oxxford jacket on ebay, and am putting some silver buttons on it.

She did indeed say yes. That was perhaps the most nerve-wracking moments of my life. I was pretty confident on the answer, and I'm not a nervous person, but man...

And I thank you for your kind words. :icon_smile:

· Registered
145 Posts
Is it acceptable to wear a waistcoat that has a different color than the suit?Example:I have a grey waistcoat that I would like to wear with my three roll to two button navy suit.
Well I wear knitted vests (cashmere and cotton) over my jackets, and I think it's quite acceptable (in some of the Jeeve and Wooster episodes, Bertie wears knitted vests under his sports coat). Since I assume you're talking about the waistcoat designed to go with a suit, I think it could work, BUT, the waistcoat needs to be a different enough colour that it shows it's deliberate.

Post us a picture! I'd love to see it.
Cheers,
Erik

· Registered
3,539 Posts
Suitable waistcoating is one of the hardest types of cloth to find. I like subtle designs in mine, however they needn't be as understated as coatings ('suitings'). Checks need to be smaller scaled, and stripes narrower than coatings.

I saw a 1960's TV programme the other day, and saw someone in a grey lounge and a cream waistcoat with a small, window pane check on it that I would love to get my hands on. The trouble is nobody designs cloths specifically as waistcoating any more.

Waistcoating also needn't be as heavy as coatings. Silks and linens were popular for waistcoatings precisely because they could be woven lighter than their woollen brethren. So there is a tradition of using lighter and rarefied cloths as waistcoating. That's why I'm quite happy to scour the Scabal and Zegna 8 Oz books of S150-200s looking for designs that would be a bit too much for a coat, but interesting enough for a waistcoat.

There is a tradition of wearing quite extravagantly fancy waistcoats:

The extravagance got turned down after reaching its pinnacle in the early to mid-Victorian era, after which waistcoats were still fancy, but without being so loud:

It used to be that the waistcoat - not the neckwear - was the point that a man could show off unique fancy designs. Fancy can indicate a fancy cloth or a fancy cut or both. This recent waistcoat is a fancy cut:

Those of you wary of the expense of bespoke should still consider a waistcoat. Some tailors charge quite reasonable prices for them. To get the interesting cuts, it has to be bespoke.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking of wearing it with. I recently aquired an Oxxford jacket on ebay, and am putting some silver buttons on it.

She did indeed say yes. That was perhaps the most nerve-wracking moments of my life. I was pretty confident on the answer, and I'm not a nervous person, but man...

And I thank you for your kind words. :icon_smile:
Well congraulations!!I wish you all the best!

· Registered
863 Posts
Sator,

If I were able to find buff or sable colored fabric that had a luxurious but discreet self-color pattern woven into it (e.g. a damask with paisley or medallions), do you think it would be appropriate for wear with formal or semi-formal day wear? If so, would silk be acceptable, or just wool or linen?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your insight on these matters.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
A long time ago I had a cream with black and red tattersall vest that I wore with a blue blazer and with a hopsacking blue suit. I don't know if it would have gone well with a more formal blue suit - I expect not.

If you fancy an odd vest to wear with a tweed jacket, you might get a catalog from:

https://www.theandovershop.com/

They usually show some that I think look very nice.

Btw, you really need their catalog as their website does not show anything very well.

Cheers, Jim.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.