Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How sad. Businesses of all kinds are always coming and going, and in times of recession certainly do more going, but when a place of such long tradition goes it's...sad. I was a guest there many a time years ago and I suppose it is one of the things I might have thought about going to again sometime. Good place it is.

Perhaps someone will toss them a greenback lifeline.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This reminds me how small business onwers were wishing for the third quarter of last year to change the shift of the ongoing crisis but it was below expectations and some suffered the fate of closing :icon_pale:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Let's face it folks, the Ivies are new money now. Chalk it up to "meritocracy," but the kids going there now are more likely to be bred from over-achieving, upwardly-mobile yuppies. Their parents killed to get them admitted to the most exclusive preschool in town, forced them to play seven sports, speak six languages, play five instruments and learn calculus by age eight, such that by the age of 18 Yale was their birthright. All of these old clubs and, yes, the clothes too, must seem kind of silly and quaint to them. Oh, the Bushes still have a few generations left in them yet, but it's the Obamas and Clintons that are the wave of the future.

I think Disneyland needs to create a new area of the park called "Ivyland." The castmembers can all wear navy blazers, and they can have such events as crew, all-male acapella singing groups, football games played by scholar-athletes and supper clubs that you can take the kids to. If anybody can make a ride about This Side of Paradise, Disney can. It'll be like Main Street, USA: we can idealize a bygone time and conveniently forget all we wouldn't like about it today, while resenting what has replaced it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Let's face it folks, the Ivies are new money now. Chalk it up to "meritocracy," but the kids going there now are more likely to be bred from over-achieving, upwardly-mobile yuppies. Their parents killed to get them admitted to the most exclusive preschool in town, forced them to play seven sports, speak six languages, play five instruments and learn calculus by age eight, such that by the age of 18 Yale was their birthright. All of these old clubs and, yes, the clothes too, must seem kind of silly and quaint to them. Oh, the Bushes still have a few generations left in them yet, but it's the Obamas and Clintons that are the wave of the future
I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but the parents doing the things in bold in my town tend to be new immigrant Asians, not yuppies. And good luck to them!

·
Registered
403 Posts
^Trust me, there are plenty of white parents that do that too. And while I certainly value a strong education for our children, I don't think half the things parents force them to do these days are making them any smarter.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think Disneyland needs to create a new area of the park called "Ivyland." The castmembers can all wear navy blazers, and they can have such events as crew, all-male acapella singing groups, football games played by scholar-athletes and supper clubs that you can take the kids to. If anybody can make a ride about This Side of Paradise, Disney can. It'll be like Main Street, USA: we can idealize a bygone time and conveniently forget all we wouldn't like about it today, while resenting what has replaced it.
Would the female cast members be cold, aloof, and upwardly mobile? I ran into quite a few of those at Penn in the 70s, but married one who wasn't. I talk to classmates who will tell you all about their kids who made the Ivy League, but scarcely mention those who didn't. My point, and I do have one, is that times have changed but not completely for the worse. The Ivy kids I know are a lot less snooty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.