Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've long thought that it would be very useful and informative to have specific threads that comprehensively cover particular brands.

I believe the following types of information would be helpful.

1. Brief History of Company

2. Target market and where the company fits in overall.

3. Main lines of clothes (with explanations on their general fit, construction, and price)

4. Suggestions on what the company is and is not good at making.

5. Tips on where and when to find the best deals on their clothing.

Anyone think this would be a good idea? Also, any suggestions on what such threads should cover?

·
Registered
305 Posts
A very good idea. We'll likely need some good ground rules (and moderator support) to keep it focused and informative. Opinions on various brands will differ, and that's fine, but rummaging through several pages of "this brand stinks!" "no it doesn't!" to get at the truly valuable information would diminish the threads' value.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I like the idea of polls to help establish the general consensus on various brands. Having a single author per brand determine its quality is pretty risky, because the tastes of a single author are highly subjective. But if various brands' qualities are left to majority vote, we can at least get a data-driven breakdown of how most of the board views certain brands.

For instance, let's say we ran a poll on the general quality of (Brand X) suits, on a scale of 1 to 10. Poll results might show:

3 33
4 4
5 5555
6 6
7 77777
8 88888888
9 999
10 101010

Or whatever. The point is that you'd get a statistical readout on how a brand seems to rank among the populace here, rather than one man's opinions taken as gospel. It's also easier to filter numerical data than it is to fish through a sea of "Brand X sucks!" vs. "I love Brand X!" posts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the idea of polls to help establish the general consensus on various brands. Having a single author per brand determine its quality is pretty risky, because the tastes of a single author are highly subjective. But if various brands' qualities are left to majority vote, we can at least get a data-driven breakdown of how most of the board views certain brands.

For instance, let's say we ran a poll on the general quality of (Brand X) suits, on a scale of 1 to 10. Poll results might show:

3 33
4 4
5 5555
6 6
7 77777
8 88888888
9 999
10 101010

Or whatever. The point is that you'd get a statistical readout on how a brand seems to rank among the populace here, rather than one man's opinions taken as gospel. It's also easier to filter numerical data than it is to fish through a sea of "Brand X sucks!" vs. "I love Brand X!" posts.
The point would be to condense the "wisdom of the crowds." The polling idea is a good one. That said, only the subjective opinions is the dicey part. Pricing and sales information would be very helpful for a lot of people and not particularly controversial

I envision threads that explain what the main positions are on the particular brand. For example, perhaps a plurality think "brand X is great quality construction, but is overpriced unless found at a significant discount." This would be presented along with the other singificant minority positions, such as "Brand X is great and because it provides options A and B it really is worth the price if you are looking for options A or B" and "Brand X is good, but there are brands Y and Z that produce similar products for less, and therefore, Brand X isn't really worth the money."

As well, it would take significant moderator support, because the top post would need to be updated as new information rolls in.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about this idea, the forum provides important subjectivity and individual experiences but what you are suggesting involves a great deal of research and elbow grease. Thats not a bad thing but if we had 100 folks banging away to create this fact-rich database (in a kind of wikipedia way) and it was for reference I honestly dont think I would want to hand it out to the world for free from within this forum.

The forum itself (the application) isn't conducive to the creation of this kind of thing, its assembly, review and presentation. The other issue would be getting enough voices involved to form a clear picture, it would take a large sample set. We have thousands of members, hundreds of lurkers and basically dozens of posters - guess which group would compile it all? Guess how narrow the sample would be...

In the end it would still be subjectivity sung by a choir instead of a solo. I am not against the idea and I would even help but I see simple problems like where do we put it and who writes and who edits and how do we handle dissent and disagreement of opinion etc.

I would like to hear more from everyone else...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I love wikipedia and the whole concept of community-created content. However, in this case I have to caution against such a setup. For one thing, having definitive entries on a particular subject/brand does remove subjectivity. Whatever information/views are expressed therein must be taken as Truth. Can you imagine the headache trying to moderate a wiki page on notch lapel dinner jackets? Additionally, if you maintain the current vbulletin forum architecture, limiting discussion of a brand to a single thread will cause the thread to become unusable under its own size. An individual thread should talk about a single subject - few people read a whole thread of 50+ posts from start to end. Placing all discussion for a particular brand into a monolithic thread would be disastrous.

My vote would be to implement a tagging system. That way, you don't have a thread pop up in a search because someone casually mentioned your search term. You click on the "Brooks Brothers" tag, and see all threads users have tagged, with more users being 'better'. You could also search multiple tags, to see if Brooks and J Press ever came up in the same discussion.

What the wiki-like system would be good for is capturing basic information about labels/designers - facts. That is, I could link to the Andywiki™ article on Borrelli and you might find information like where the company is based, their product lines, and where one can purchase their shirts. Subjective issues like fit, quality, and the like should continue to be discussed in the forums (which of course could be cross-linked to the corresponding Andywiki™ entries)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.