Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of always having liked denim jackets,you know,the waist length,metal buttoned type sometimes called a "truckers" jacket(at least by Levi's),I've hesitated buying one.Maybe because I don't live on a horse ranch or drive an 18 wheeler and am old enough and retired enough to join AARP,I can't summon(thus far) the "nerve" to get and be seen in public in one.I occasionally wear Levis around,but would never wear them at the same time as the jacket...a bit much,I'd say.Am I just being silly,too self concious,prematurely senile,or a combination of some or all of those? Not an earth shaking dilemna,but, I'd appreciate any opinions on this. My thanks.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Am I just being silly,too self concious,prematurely senile,or a combination of some or all of those?
No, I feel the same way. When I was in college I wore one, Levis, almost every day when the weather was cool, but back then I didn't hesitate to wear them with denim jeans. The dreaded "double denim". Somewhere around 1976 I stopped wearing them. I decided I didn't like them with denim jeans and I never thought they looked good with anything else, so my denim jacket became history.

Here's a picture of me in college, probably 1973, wearing my favorite denim jacket. Come to think of it, it looks like I also have on my old chambray dungaree shirt from the Navy which in a way makes this a triple denim day, although chambray isn't denim.

https://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0002fw5.gif

Cruiser

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I had never owned a denim jacket until a dozen or so years ago, when I retired from the Air Force Reserve. A family member thought it nice to buy me a denim jacket, in which the back is a leather panel with the USAF seal embossed on the leather. Perhaps because it was a gift, I have worn the jacket on a couple of occasions, none of which have proven disastrous. While it may not be my favorite jacket (I prefer my Baracuta G9), it was a thoughtful gift and brings back nice memories. My suggestion is, if you have always been attracted to denim jackets, get one and wear it a few times. It just might grow on you! ;)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with wearing a denim jacket with blue jeans.

I had one for years, which I embellished with a leather collar and an embroidered Grateful Dead design on the back, but now it's passed on to my son.

I think about getting another one, although I have the vague recollection that they're not that practical. Still, I do like the look.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Its like long hair or a beard on a man.

Some men look very good with one, the other or both while most men simply look negligent. You need to decide if the look fits you or not.

When in doubt abstain yourself.

noble

·
Registered
816 Posts
I used to have one when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. So, we're talking about 1987/1988. Sorry to offend anyone, but you would have to pay me a lot of money to wear one now. Especially, with jeans.
I think some women call still pull it off (not with jeans), but not men.
Just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.