Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread was created from a discussion that began in WAYW, and I thought it appropriate to begin a new thread rather than hijack that one. It was begun my posting of this ensemble below.

JCrew patch tweed cap
John Partridge jacket
Scots Glen lambswool scarf (via STP)

PRL sweatshirt
Levis 514s
BR socks
BR desert boots

·
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, the 514s look really good on you Alan.

I had a pair, but felt they were too skinny. Plus I thought the lower low rise would be hard to tuck into.
I going to bring them out again.
Thanks. The low rise is taking some getting used to. If this jeans experiment goes well I may venture into som Rescues or Average Joes. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
^ I agree, to a point.

I'm still too self conscious in some of the slimmer 'skinny' cuts, and the lower rise bugs me (can;t really tuck in, shortens the leg etc).
Probably the biggest problem is what to wear with them, any shirt/sportcoat/sweater I have isn;t nearly as fitted, so anything more than a t-shirt looks unbalanced.

I'd advise ignoring any advice to "size down" too.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I was thinking the same thing -- good jeans. Do the 514's fit differently from the 501's? And are they "pre-shrunk"?

(Bewildering array of varieties....)

Thanks. The low rise is taking some getting used to. If this jeans experiment goes well I may venture into som Rescues or Average Joes. We'll see.

·
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the same thing -- good jeans. Do the 514's fit differently from the 501's? And are they "pre-shrunk"?

(Bewildering array of varieties....)
Yes, the 514s are skinnier and a lower rise. They aren't 'shrink-to-fit', either, so the size you buy ought to be the size they stay at. These are 'rigids', are stiffer out of the box and a darker color. They're a standard cheap Levi's recommendation over at the SF Streetwear forum, a low end alternative/entry to the pricey denim. I bought mine from Tilley's via Amazon, but I've seen 514 cuts at Kohl's. One of the keys of modern look denim is you want dark, dark denim. No pre-fades or stonewashing, etc.

Negatives for me, I tend to have a bigger butt and thighs relative to my waist, so a slight bit more room would be well, as well as a slightly higher rise. I think APC Rescues or Nudie Regular Joes would probably address those issues, but in the ~$150 range.

They're doing a jeans 101 thread at Style Forum in the Men's Clothing area. Take a look there. We might ought to move this discussion to a thread here.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Count me out as far as "skinny jeans" are concerned. I don't even like the rise on the 501s, and went for the 505's instead.

I've been considering a pair of those in a darker wash for a more "modern" look, but then I think...why? ;)

I do like those boots, however.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Count me out as far as "skinny jeans" are concerned. I don't even like the rise on the 501s, and went for the 505's instead.

I've been considering a pair of those in a darker wash for a more "modern" look, but then I think...why? ;)

I do like those boots, however.
Yes, the BR Sahara boots (If I recall correctly we purchased them around the same time) are PERFECT for jeans.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was having a conversation with a girlfriend of mine the other day about jeans. She could not remember the last time she saw me with jeans on and wondered if i had any.

Those look great Alan... may have to venture to the Levis's store this weekend.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
After getting used to the room and high-rise of Bills M1s, I generally don't like the fit of jeans.

I do wear them on the weekend for chores and hanging around, though.

I have one pair of the standard LE "dad" colored jeans and a pair of the more recent LE dark rinse jeans (but not the '47 indigo' ones - which strike me as too fashiony).

I bought their relaxed fit model in the Rinsed Deep Indigo color for $29.50 at Sears. They do not have any fading or "whiskering" on them and have a plain pocket. The only logo-ification is their lighthouse logo on branded on a dark patch of leather at the waistband, which is covered by my belt anyway. There is nothing "fashiony" about them except the currently popular dark color.

These relaxed-fit jeans have a bit more room up top, but, I still had to go 2 "waist" sizes larger to get them to fit on my hips where they come to rest.

They are not baggy/poofy at the top like some of the dad jeans I see my compatriots wear.

I wear them casually with t-shirt and sweat-shirt and have worn them with a plaid sport-shirt and my dark brown cord blazer and Alden PTBs out to dinner and a bar with my wife and some friends.

·
Registered
421 Posts
^Thanks. Yeah, those are the only jeans I currently own. I may add a pair of 'nice' jeans, but that will do me. I won't wear them that often. I'm in tan moleskins today.
I own several --- i just never find myself wearing them. they kind of sit in a box in the corner all lonely. I have them, as certain times here in NYC, dark jeans are all one can wear out. For some reason, khaki's or cords just don't fit certain venues.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have become a big fan of Texas Jeans. Made in USA of (I think) domestic denim fabric. It is a hefty 14.75 oz denim too. The price is $30 per pair, pretty much what one would pay for a Levi's or any other offshore manufactured jeans.

The slim fit is very nice - I wear a 29" waist with a 31" inseam and it fits extremely well. It is also available in a couple of looser fits. I will post a full review one of these days.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.