Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered quite some time ago that in spite of my obsession with clothes, there are days when I have neither the time nor the inclination to think through properly my choice of what to wear. (I may be a little hung-over or that difficult memorandum which should have been completed long ago continues to sit heavily on my desk, etc. .)

My question, certain that we all have such days, is whether you, the dear members, have developed coping strategies for "off" days. Do you have an outfit or a combination which you just know to be right; one which is unassailable and beyond criticism?

My answer to the off days was to develop a "default" ensemble: I ensure that I have at my disposal at all times solid, dark-grey suits, solid or (thinly) striped blue shirts and solid dark-blue ties. Unimaginative, I know, but somehow indisputably "correct".

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a pretty detailed mental catalog of my wardrobe. I have found myself completely smashed at 3 AM or some unGodly hour, laying in bed, trying to go to sleep. One realizes at such a time that the morning is going to, for lack of a better term, "suck", and that leisurely preparing for the day will most likely be out of the question. At times like these, I begin building my next days' outfit in my mind, begining by pairing shoes with trousers. The belt and watch fall into place. Then comes the tie, shirt, blazer. Often, doing this allows my mind to have a very direct course of action when I finally (and uncomfortably) rise in the morning.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Any suit, solid shirt, conservative tie (even smashed can pick out a tie to match a suit, especially when I am for a conservative (ie easy) look). The shoes are simple as well, either my black cap toes or brown split toes (depending on the suit).

I find myself "agonizing" over odd trouser and sportcoat combos far more often then when wearing a 2 piece suit.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I keep a dark grey suit in the closet, ready for travel or funerals. I also own several blazers, seasonal, which I know will go with the khakis and white dress shirts hanging in the closet.

Do I have a default suit, waiting for times where I've had 4 hours of sleep and need something brainless? Not entirely.

However, when travelling, I will often pack three identical suits and shirt sets, altering only the tie, and potentially adding a sweater. That way, a pair of pants or jacket can be worn mismatched without hazard. The basic grey suit is a staple in my personal wardrobe and I feel comfortable wearing any number of slacks matched with similar jackets without worrying that they're not identical. And where you're jet lagged and living on three hours sleep every 48, it's sometimes a necessity.

Thomas

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If it's a suit I need, it's charcoal with white shirt and any of a number of ties. Otherwise, it's almost always medium grey pants, navy blazer, white shirt, and blue or red striped tie.

Actually, given that I'm semi-retired and seldom wear a tie anymore, it's now almost always one of the above when such an occasion arises. My "default" clothing has more or less evolved into my only such clothing.

Cruiser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.