Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct terminology, or way of describing it, but I would be interested to know if any shirtmakers make French cuff shirts with deeper cuffs. Typically my French cuff shirts have a depth of 75mm (150mm unfolded). I would like to know if anyone has been able to purchase shirts with a deeper French cuff of at least 90mm?

I know I could get them custom made from a shirt tailor but would like to see if i can get them ready made in the first instance. Though based in Australia I have tended to purchase my shirts from the UK over the internet through places like TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt - but am happy to expand my purchasing to other shirtmakers who may produce the sought after deeper cuffs.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
I know of no RTW shirtmaker who makes what you seek. You should get in touch with Charles Nakle. PM Sator for his contact information.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would question why you would want deeper cuffs ....

The best shirtmakers - certainly not Tyrwhitt or Lewin - make a narrower cuff with rounded edges so they wont catch on your jacket as you move your arms. A deeper cuff would be more likely to catch and get in the way of any gusset button.Since you can only see a 1/2" of cuff when the jacket sleeve is properly adjusted, what's the purpose? If you are wearing French cuffs sans jacket, you are certainly in the minority.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
The best shirtmakers - certainly not Tyrwhitt or Lewin - make a narrower cuff with rounded edges so they wont catch on your jacket as you move your arms. A deeper cuff would be more likely to catch and get in the way of any gusset button.Since you can only see a 1/2" of cuff when the jacket sleeve is properly adjusted, what's the purpose? If you are wearing French cuffs sans jacket, you are certainly in the minority.
I make them quite frequently. They are a style choice which a number of clients prefer. Back in the "old days" (when I was in my 30's), French cuffs with showing flaps of 3 3/4" - 4" were not uncommon.

The purpose, to answer your question, is style preference. Style is not solely what is viewed by others.

Also, the longer the cuff, the less likely it is to catch on your jacket when you raise your arms or look at your watch for the simple reason that the additional length makes it less likely the cuff will come out of the jacket sleeve.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Well, you learn something new everyday ....

I couldn't imagnie why someone would want deeper cuffs. The mention of Tyrwhitt and Lewin through me off since these two are not particularly good choices for custom cuffs.

I have seen Hercule Poirot wear cuffs with at least three inches of cuff showing, but no one else, in real or cinematic life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.