Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the last several weeks, I have been thinking my next suit will be MTM. For the past several years, I have been replacing my wardrobe with Golden Fleece on deep discount, usually just under a grand. Several weeks ago, I picked up a Golden Fleece I ordered on sale back in June. All in all, it took 5 trips to the Newbury store in Boston to get the fit right. Which got me thinking about cheaper versions of MTM Greenfield than Brooks Brothers. I googled on Martin Greenfield, and besides finding a wonderful video on the man, found a place called thecustomfit, with a Crag P. Sullivan as the proprietor that offers Greenfield MTM suits. Thecustomfit is a block down Newbury street so I stopped in on the way to pick up my most recent Golden Fleece. The proprietor was out, but a tailor of sorts said they sell Martin Greenfield MTM, that with Golden Fleece caliber fabric would run around $1,400. Moreover, unlike the Golden Fleece, they use all hand tailoring. This was enough for me to pass on the upcoming Brooks MTM sales event and wait awhile.

Today, I selected fabric for 6 shirts from Hemrajani Brothers/Mytailor. The experience was more pleasant than my first visit. Andre Lani was helpful and not pushy and I think Hemrajani is the best deal around for shirts. As an example, thecustomfit starts at $150 for shirts and Hemrajani's averaged $106 for very nice, but not extravagant fabric, some sea island cotton, but no Thomas Mason. Andre got me started on suits, and I looked at some fabrics and said I would think about it for next time. Andre said he would sell a suit with a fabric slightly better than the Golden Fleece I was wearing, but much better made (he didn't specify why better) for around $1,000. My concern with Hemrajani is that there is no final tailoring, and I doubt the ability to hit it spot on with just measurements. I have seen most of the Hemrajani suits posted on this site in the last several years, and for me, all but Andy's have had problems I won't live with. Still, Hermajani is tempting.

So, has anyone in Boston had any experience with thecustomfit. Has anyone bought MTM Greenfield outside of the Brooks Brothers program?

Has anyone tried Hemrajani for suits and can compare your experience with other MTM programs, ideally Greenfield?

Thanks

· Registered
61 Posts
I am going back to see Joe in 2 weeks, with my suit and shirts so he can see for himself how they fit....shirts after laundering and suit coat after being sent back to HK to be remade.

They said any final tweaks that need to be made will be noted and sent to HQ in California, 10 days max turnaround. So it appears they can do finish tailoring. The process just takes more time.

The process start to finish isn't as fast as a mtm program, but from my experience so far, my suit is superior in fit and finish to teh one mtm I own. I don't know who made it, but a shop in Reston VA called Davelle sent out for it. It is from 2000, it is black 110 wool, and it far inferior in fabric and construction, although it fits pretty well. I was not educated at the time, unfortunately.

I wouldn't make a decision based on $100 price difference, or the fact that you might have to take it to an alterations tailor. I thought that the coat Joe was wearing, along with the sample, was nicer than the Coppley MTM I have seen at Mark Shale, IMHO.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Is Hemrajani making a bespoke suit for you or is it also a MTM? If you can get Martin Greenfield to measure you and make the suit with your choice of fabric then I would have him do it. Greenfield is an amazing tailor. I know BB is having there MTM sale now. I was informed that Martin Greenfield would be appearing at the various BB to measure people for suits. You should find out when he will be at the Boston location.

· Registered
3,977 Posts
Trousers arent the problem the jacket is what i would think changes over the years
I use three different and respected bespoke tailors. Not one of them has re-measured me more frequently than once every five years. But young men who are still filling out may change more frequently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.