Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27,495 Posts
If it is 16 whale pincord, do you think it looks about 9 ounce in weight? And what kind of fabric do you think his trousers are made from?
It could well be 9oz. Depends upon how it's spun.

Impossible to tell about the cloth, but it looks like a wool twill. Chocolate gabardine would be nice if you can still find one not too light in weight.

·
Registered
27,495 Posts
What about this fabric for the trousers?

Gabardine Rust Fabric
If my monitor is true to life, I'd like this color with the jacket very well.

Of course, these are cotton gabardine, not wool. Good quality cotton gabardine is nice cloth of itself, but its properties are different from wool gabardine. All things being equal, typically a bit less crease resistance.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I'm afraid that's a very flat chocolate. Something a bit richer like Dean's trousers works better. And I'm concerned about the weight. Might be a little light to give the cloth the drape and swing that is nice in gabardine.
Huddersfield Fine Worsteds is one of the few places I can find a heavier wool gabardine these days. Most are the same weight as what Holland & Sherry sell. I suspect most of the English cloth merchants sell the same gabardine from the same mill. Most gabardine looks flat but has a subtle sheen. For something with more interest at a heavier weight, whipcord is better. See here:

Holland & Sherry

Holland & Sherry have many different colours in a number of different weights.

·
Registered
27,495 Posts
Huddersfield Fine Worsteds is one of the few places I can find a heavier wool gabardine these days. Most are the same weight as what Holland & Sherry sell. I suspect most of the English cloth merchants sell the same gabardine from the same mill. Most gabardine looks flat but has a subtle sheen. For something with more interest at a heavier weight, whipcord is better. See here:

Holland & Sherry

Holland & Sherry have many different colours in a number of different weights.
That's some very nice cloth!

(y) (y) (y)

Should do admirably!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the page Matt posted there is a whipcord called "Summer Variety," 70% Super 120's, Worsted 30%, 230gm 7/8oz, and 280gm 9oz. Would this whipcord be a good choice for the warm weather? If it would be, what type of jacket fabric would be good to pair with this whipcord for the warm weather?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure what type of material it is, but I'm sure it has a very good quality. However, I've seen a similar suit model, and I think it has the same fabric from gentlemansguru.com. It was in their suit collections or the tuxedos one, if I'm not wrong. You can check and see if you need the exact model. To make everything easier, just search by color. Also, you can try to use their online message option, which allows you to speak with someone from their store; maybe they can give you some more detailed information.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Most gabardine looks flat but has a subtle sheen
That sheen is why I prefer not to wear wool gabardine. I would like whipcord much better for trousers. I have no experience with cotton gabardine. I have also never seen a sportcoat made with wool gabardine -- it may well exist, I simply have not come across one.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
That sheen is why I prefer not to wear wool gabardine. I would like whipcord much better for trousers. I have no experience with cotton gabardine. I have also never seen a sportcoat made with wool gabardine -- it may well exist, I simply have not come across one.
Wool gabardine is a suiting and trousering rather than a jacketing. Sports coats shouldn't be smooth and plain. Cotton gabardine looks kind of like fancy chino cloth. It looks more crisp and has more of a sheen, and it's usually made up into dressier trousers rather than chinos. They look better with a blazer than chinos do. I have a cotton/silk gabardine sports coat, but I think the material would have been better as trousers or a suit.

Whipcord isn't exactly a replacement for wool gabardine, since it's usually much heavier. Gabardine is usually 8-12 oz, while whipcord is heavier. Tropical wool trousers can be a good alternative to gabardine, but they look more formal.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Wool gabardine is a suiting and trousering rather than a jacketing. Sports coats shouldn't be smooth and plain. Cotton gabardine looks kind of like fancy chino cloth. It looks more crisp and has more of a sheen, and it's usually made up into dressier trousers rather than chinos. They look better with a blazer than chinos do. I have a cotton/silk gabardine sports coat, but I think the material would have been better as trousers or a suit.

Whipcord isn't exactly a replacement for wool gabardine, since it's usually much heavier. Gabardine is usually 8-12 oz, while whipcord is heavier. Tropical wool trousers can be a good alternative to gabardine, but they look more formal.
Now I do have cotton sports jackets made of drill cloth that are actually smooth and plain (colours like khaki, cream etc.) Maybe they are what you might call cotton gabardine? I suppose one would have to examine the weave closely to be able to tell.

A somewhat different line of thinking: I love the Irish poplin that is used for neckties (Atkinson's is the iconic brand for these ties). This is a 50-50 blend of fine silk and Australian merino wool. It has a crisp look and hand, and it looks great, especially in repp stripes and regimentals. I have often wondered if this material, perhaps in a slightly heavier weight, could be used for summer sports jackets or trousers. So I checked and here is an example -- no idea what the quality of this suit is:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts