Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a salesmen here in St.Louis at Saks that the DB suits was coming back and so
was the tab collar shirts. I enjoy wearing DB suits and my favorite dress shirt collar has
always been a tab collar.

In recent years I have found that off the rack tab collar shirts are hard to find.
Wearing a DB suit makes one stand out. Is that changing are both clothing items on the way back ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I purchased a db suit in spring 07, it makes a nice change to the other suits/options in my rotation. I saw quite a few db options available last year, but in the UK I have seen more options this year; maybe the US is the same.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
That which was never gone, can't come back. Fashion goes this way and that, most of it of no significance. St. Louis retail may be limited, but there's a whole world on-line. I long ago abondoned stores for catalogs and on-line shopping, though I admit my need for tailored clothing is no longer significant. In bricks and mortar, Brooks which is now ubiquitous, has had DB offerings and tab collars every season. Saks? Who cares?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't seen too many options lately. BB's online catalog has one DB suit, one DB blazer, and two DB tuxedos. JAB has one blazer and one seersucker. MW dipped its foot in the market last year, but they no longer have DBs in their catalog. The one DB suit jacket offered by LE is on clearance for almost 50% off.

While I agree it's a classic, I think it's a style that is currently not very common.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I haven't seen too many options lately. BB's online catalog has one DB suit, one DB blazer, and two DB tuxedos. JAB has one blazer and one seersucker. MW dipped its foot in the market last year, but they no longer have DBs in their catalog. The one DB suit jacket offered by LE is on clearance for almost 50% off.

While I agree it's a classic, I think it's a style that is currently not very common.
No, you're right, there could be a lot more. If I were in the market, I'd do Brooks' or someone else's MTM and get all the variety I require. Use AAAC's Brooks discount, and it becomes more palatable.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have always had at least one db in my closet. ....

I have a BB Country Club blazer, a charcoal grey pinstripe, and a grey flannel. You are more likely to find dbs at Brooks, Paul Stewart etc. The low end stores don't like to get into anything that might not sell, so they avoid dbs, although JAB had a couple about three years ago. When a fat guy walks into JAB and wants separates, you're not going ti interest him in a db.

As for tab collars, I used to wear them when lapels were thin in the 60s, but they don't work too well with lapels that are somewhat wide, especially peak lapels. A spread collar with French cuffs is the shirt to wear with a db, or a spread cutaway. I like the tab, but I'm tired of having thin ties, thin lapels then the next day wearing wide ties with wide lapels. 3-1/2" to 4" ties work well with a db, and I'll probably never wear a tab collar again.

·
Registered
433 Posts
tab collar

I wish the tab collar would come back. As has been noted, the tab collar is generally associated with a smaller lapel and a thinner tie. I'm tired of the spread collar/windsor knot look, probably from watching too much ESPN at work. Tab collars are a little tricky to find though. The best I've seen so far is in the Lands End overstock section of their website. They seem to have the best collar length on their tab (I prefer a shorter collar point on tab collars).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.