Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I am in need of your help. I understand that this issue has been discussed already, but I am looking for more advice specific to my situation.

I am engaged to be married August 29 in Chicago. The wedding is at 4:30 in the afternoon. Until recently, I had just planned on a tuxedo as the invitations will say "black tie invited." However, after reading the article about formal wear on the homepage, and scanning these threads, I am thinking of wearing morning wear.

The reception to follow will be formal and obviously last well into the night. I assume that most guests will wear tuxedos or dark suits.

What should I wear? What should my groomsmen wear? Will morning dress make us look ridiculous if everyone else will be in tuxedos already? Will it be silly on a hot summer afternoon/evening in Chicago? I understand that tuxedos will look silly already (so should our guests not have to wear them then?)

I want to balance ettiqette and tradition with practicality and sensibility. I don't want look ignorant, but I also don't want to look pretentious.

ALSO, can anyone recommend a good wedding shop in the Chicago area for my men and I to rent these clothes? Can you even rent morning wear? Or are we stuck with tuxedos anyway? I don't think any of us will want to purchase these threads (a tux maybe).

Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You can, in theory, rent morning dress. Most major chains, including Men's Wearhouse, carry morning coats and such. That said, I can't recommend it. A rented morning coat will fit even worse than a rented tuxedo, and the accessories will inevitably be some combination of cheap and incorrect.

Assuming changing the time of the wedding and causing the sun to set early are not options, here are some possibilities.

First, combine renting and purchasing. Fairly inexpensive used morning coats can be found on eBay, and should look passable after a trip to the tailor. I think the vest and trousers can be safely rented. Assuming each of you has a white French-cuff shirt, black oxfords, and a suitable tie, you won't break the bank.

Second, rent strollers. Renting would be less dicey, and, as before, you could wear some of your own clothing.

Third, wear suits. I know the rental industry has spread the idea that anything less than formalwear is insufficient for a wedding, but good suits with all the bells and whistles--French cuffs, polished shoes, pocket squares, boutonnieres--can serve admirably.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Third, wear suits. I know the rental industry has spread the idea that anything less than formalwear is insufficient for a wedding, but good suits with all the bells and whistles--French cuffs, polished shoes, pocket squares, boutonnieres--can serve admirably.
I agree entirely with the third option. Although this option may not present the formality that you might be looking for, at least it's practical and comfortable in the heat. I would also simply put "formal" on your invitations so that your guests won't be required to wear a tux either.

I personally believe, you want to be able to enjoy the evening without worrying about you and your guests feeling the heat more than they need to. I was a guest at a wedding two weeks ago and the heat was unbearable..... it takes away from the event.

Good suits with the "bells and whistles" is a great idea.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I got married at 5:00 PM and I just wore a suit, as did the guests. There was no need to change clothes for the reception and as far as I was concerned there was enough going on without having to think about clothes. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Congratulations to you on your upcoming wedding Flyboy!

What time does the reception start? Its strange from a timing perspective because I would assume the wedding would go from 4:30 to roughly 5:30 and then if there are photos taken by the time you get to the reception its 6 pm + so you either end up wearing morning dress late or a tuxedo early.

Is it stranger to be in morning dress at 10pm than in a tuxedo at 4pm ?

I found these guys on the web with a few good recommendations and they have something seemingly like morningwear (its not a strong suit of mine).

https://www.formallymodern.com/

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hemh, if I understand it correctly you already sent out invitations reading "black tie invited", yes?

I am not sure I would be able to get my guests in dinner jackets and then turn up in a suit or anything else. If you ask for a dress code you should be the first to uphold it. As much as I regret to write this I fear you will have to get a nice dinner jacket and pretend that it is evening.

Usually I would have suggested a morning suit (29th of August in Chicago, it should be hot) but in this instance it would seem it could be too late.

Otherwise if the invitation have not yet been printed just change the dress code to "morning coat invited" and get a morning coat or morning suit.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Otherwise if the invitation have not yet been printed just change the dress code to "morning coat invited" and get a morning coat or morning suit.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg
I don't think that would work out very well in the USA. 95% of the guests wouldn't have a clue what to wear.

If you've already requested black tie of your guests, wear black tie yourself. 4pm is close enough to 6pm, and no one will know or care about the difference. If you want more justification, the cocktail hour and reception won't start til after 6, right?

Enjoy your wedding!

·
Site Creator
11,754 Posts
You might want to review the article linked from the Home Page, Cracking the Dress Code:

What gentlemen wear depends upon the time of day and the occasion.

If the event starts at 4:30 but extends into the evening you should be able to "get away" with a tuxedo. It will only be improper for 1.5 hours!! :icon_smile_big:

And have you seen the Ask Andy Wedding Guide?

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/ADVS/WeddingGuide.htm

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If the event starts at 4:30 but extends into the evening you should be able to "get away" with a tuxedo. It will only be improper for 1.5 hours!!
And by then you are officially married and have a wife, at which time this will be the least of your concerns. On the bright side, you will no longer be responsible for making decisions. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
The traditional rule is that the time of day of the wedding influenced/dictated the formality. Unless I'm misremembering, a 4:30 wedding would be assumed to be fairly informal. Since your invitation, it sounds, invites but does not request black-tie, I think you'll see tuxes from those who own them and a few others eager to rent, but mostly suits.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
August? Ivory DJ for the wedding party. A 4:30 p. m. wedding will just be rounding up at 5:30 p. m., or so, and the reception will therefor be after 6:00 p. m. Unless you all want to change between wedding and reception. Of course, where will you find the time after the wedding photographer and videographer get through with you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.