Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my fitting for my first custom three piece suit on Monday. I only needed to get the trousers hemmed and the working buttonholes put on the jacket. I should have it back all done on Friday this week.

I also ordered a shirt and this got delivered by David today with my trousers and vest. Here are the pictures:

The photos are not very good I am afraid but so far I am very pleased with my purchase. The cloth is a Charcoal grey "paper press finish" Dormail cloth. I probably won't wear the suit as a three piece but it really changes the suits look and is rather fun so maybe I will wear it, but not for business.

The trousers are almost the same cut as my off the rack Prada but maybe a little slimmer and higher rise they also come with side fasteners instead of belt loops and a cream lining inside which David said was "more Savile row".

The shirt was a nice surprise. I have had custom shirts made before but I had to place minimum orders, with Dave I only ordered one and that was fine. I have also had problems with fit ie arm length as well as the body (I like the shirts fairly slim) this came out well with no alterations. I have ordered two more already a plain white and a black. The collar is a little like a Gucci which I quite like it comes with a split back yoke and a gathered cuff at the sleeve which is a bit unusual.

I will post more pictures and of the whole suit when I get it. I wish I had gone for something a bit more unusual but with this being my first custom suit I was a little cautious.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I had my fitting for my first custom three piece suit on Monday. I only needed to get the trousers hemmed and the working buttonholes put on the jacket. I should have it back all done on Friday this week.

I also ordered a shirt and this got delivered by David today with my trousers and vest. Here are the pictures:

The photos are not very good I am afraid but so far I am very pleased with my purchase. The cloth is a Charcoal grey "paper press finish" Dormail cloth. I probably won't wear the suit as a three piece but it really changes the suits look and is rather fun so maybe I will wear it, but not for business.

The trousers are almost the same cut as my off the rack Prada but maybe a little slimmer and higher rise they also come with side fasteners instead of belt loops and a cream lining inside which David said was "more Savile row".

The shirt was a nice surprise. I have had custom shirts made before but I had to place minimum orders, with Dave I only ordered one and that was fine. I have also had problems with fit ie arm length as well as the body (I like the shirts fairly slim) this came out well with no alterations. I have ordered two more already a plain white and a black. The collar is a little like a Gucci which I quite like it comes with a split back yoke and a gathered cuff at the sleeve which is a bit unusual.

I will post more pictures and of the whole suit when I get it. I wish I had gone for something a bit more unusual but with this being my first custom suit I was a little cautious.
The trousers are a bit too low in rise, from what I can see. Some shirt is showing at the bottom of your waistcoat.

Of course, I'm a bit behind the times in aesthetics, so my tastes are irrelevant :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think the shirt cloth is just sticking out. More down to my lack of attention I think. I also didn't Iron the shirt as you can probably tell.

I like low rise trousers. Hate that Simon Cowel look. David wanted to make them higher. I think at 6.2 and a size 48 they look good on him but I am quite short so like them low.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Waistcoat looks really well made.

I don't think the trousers are too low at all, but then, I notice American pictures on here tend to be higher rise than we typically have in Europe.

Looking forward to seeing the jacket.

Good to see a member tailor's work here.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Shirt - difficult to really judge because it needs ironing; however, it looks a decent fit, although collar not to my taste
Waistcoat - nice, if the jacket is the same quality it would make a good 3-piece suit
Trousers - I like the trouser raise, trousers are slim but this is personal taste

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yeah I think the shirt cloth is just sticking out. More down to my lack of attention I think. I also didn't Iron the shirt as you can probably tell.

I like low rise trousers. Hate that Simon Cowel look. David wanted to make them higher. I think at 6.2 and a size 48 they look good on him but I am quite short so like them low.
Low rise trousers make your torso look long and your legs short. Since most short men are short because their legs are short, this is rarely desirable.

I quite like the vest.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

I don't mean to sound offensive, but when one's tailor recommends a change like a particular rise or such being better for his body type, the tailor probably knows more about those aesthetics than the customer.

Ignore me. I'm a Young Fogey.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't mean to sound offensive, but when one's tailor recommends a change like a particular rise or such being better for his body type, the tailor probably knows more about those aesthetics than the customer.

Ignore me. I'm a Young Fogey.
LOL!

I'm likin it! ;) I hate shirts with contrasting collars and cuffs, and my wife likes them even less so if you ever want me dead and want to get away with it, now you know what to do. :icon_smile_big:

I hate it when my pants are too low in the rise. It's more noticable on my pants now since I've lost a lot of weight.

Vest looks awesome too. Can't wait to see the jacket as well

David, good stuff! :aportnoy:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The vest, shirt, pants and tie go together very well - A+! I think I am in the more traditional rise camp, as some have pointed out here, I would have the pants an inch higher on the waist perhaps. The pants are a bit conformal for my taste as well. If you were going for the slim fit look here with very tightly tailored legs you nailed it. They almost have a 1960's look to them.

The vest is great, but again if the pants were slightly higher on your waist you would never have to worry about that vest revealing your shirt.

The shirt is as tightly tailored as the pants and I happen to like a very conformal shirt and less conformal pants. The collars on the shirt are well tamed by the vest and tie but without the vest and tie they are really big. I dont think I would wear that shirt open collar considering their scale. The cuffs are in scale with the collar which is to say big as well. It may just be me or the pics or that they are tight around your wrists but they seems to be a bit longer than a traditional FC, is that the case?

If the jacket is cut like all the rest of what you have on display I think the final product will be very slim, crisp and very modern. Its funny because I tend to think of 3 piece suits as a bit on the old fashioned side but you have it cut in a slim and fashion forward way, it will be interesting to see the kind of reactions it generates because of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.