Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the scenario:

I have asked a girl out and she has agreed.We're going to an upscale restaurant in Charlotte.I'm planning on wearing a 3B charcoal suit,white herringbone French cuff shirt,square silver cufflinks,and a solid burgundy tie.Does this sound appropriate?The reservations are for 7:30,by the way.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
And be home by 11. It's a school night and we don't want you to stay out too late! :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You are dressed too well!

My friend,

This is way too elegant! I advise jeans, a T shirt and flip/flops. Relax, enjoy your dinner!
Watch, everyone there will be dressed like a ****.

You will be perfect
Enjoy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is the scenario:

I have asked a girl out and she has agreed.We're going to an upscale restaurant in Charlotte.I'm planning on wearing a 3B charcoal suit,white herringbone French cuff shirt,square silver cufflinks,and a solid burgundy tie.Does this sound appropriate?The reservations are for 7:30,by the way.
Sounds very nice. I'd love to see a picture if its possible to snap one of this outfit before the date

·
Registered
502 Posts
While I agree this sounds like a outstanding outfit, for a first date it might be a tad too much. I've read a lot of accounts from women that men who go all out on first dates such as bringing a bouquet of flowers, over-dressing, going to a first class restaurant etc are looked upon as being desperate and/or needy. This may not apply to you at all, but unless this lady has a good idea of who you are, you may make a poor first impression. With an evening as you described it, where can you go from there on future dates with her? Always leave 'em wanting more or so they say.

This doesn't mean you should throw on a pair of Dockers and take her to the local Olive Garden. Perhaps a restaurant a notch or two down on the upscale chart and some nice trousers and sport coat combo. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't make it look like you're trying too hard.

However, if you must keep the resturant and outfit you described intact, then at least suggest a completely ridiculous activity afterwards like bowling (be sure to wear the rental shoes) just to eliminate any lingering idea she might have of you trying too hard to impress.
Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I agree this sounds like a outstanding outfit, for a first date it might be a tad too much. I've read a lot of accounts from women that men who go all out on first dates such as bringing a bouquet of flowers, over-dressing, going to a first class restaurant etc are looked upon as being desperate and/or needy. This may not apply to you at all, but unless this lady has a good idea of who you are, you may make a poor first impression. With an evening as you described it, where can you go from there on future dates with her? Always leave 'em wanting more or so they say.

This doesn't mean you should throw on a pair of Dockers and take her to the local Olive Garden. Perhaps a restaurant a notch or two down on the upscale chart and some nice trousers and sport coat combo. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't make it look like you're trying too hard.

However, if you must keep the resturant and outfit you described intact, then at least suggest a completely ridiculous activity afterwards like bowling (be sure to wear the rental shoes) just to eliminate any lingering idea she might have of you trying too hard to impress.
Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes.
She actually picked the restaurant.After dinner,I'm taking her home since she has to leave for Georgia at 5:30 am,and I need to be in Raleigh at 7:00 am.In retrospect,I probably should have made the reservations for next Friday.Anyway,it should still be a nice evening.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This attire is perfectly fine. Dinner is at an upscale restaurant and she will be dressed similarly, I see no problem at all, good choice. Proper attire suitable for that environment/occasion.

I'm sure you will be better dressed than the guys who think that a clean shirt and flip-flops are fine for fine dining on a first date.

Be confident and comfortable in your suit and tie and enjoy yourself!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.