Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any brave gentlemen here ever attempted darning a sock or sweater? I ask because I recently found an old wool Brooks Brothers cardigan in my attic that is in fairly good shape except that it has a few tiny moth holes at the cuffs. The cardigan isn't of high enough quality to warrant professional repair. And besides, I'm always ready to learn a new skill. So have any brave men here broken out the darning egg and given it a try? If so, any advice?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have any brave gentlemen here ever attempted darning a sock or sweater? I ask because I recently found an old wool Brooks Brothers cardigan in my attic that is in fairly good shape except that it has a few tiny moth holes at the cuffs. The cardigan isn't of high enough quality to warrant professional repair. And besides, I'm always ready to learn a new skill. So have any brave men here broken out the darning egg and given it a try? If so, any advice?
Have indeed. It's not particularly difficult either.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
For a long time in our lives, my wife used to repair my socks...and did a "darn" nice :))) job of it to! She still performs small miracles in terms of repairing and giving new life to the grand kids favored stuffed toys but, tells me to throw my damaged socks out and "quit being so cheap and go out and buy a new pair"(?)! Guess the honeymoon might be over? :eek:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm self taught

I did this Monday night on a Brooks shetland. I just grab some similar colored thread, go in from the back and go across the hole a bunch. I try to do through the knit instead of over it to hide the thread. Likewise, I try to thread in the directions of the knit, and keep some slack in the thread.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I remember darning socks as a child. It just seemed like the thing to do. Didn't notice it at the time but, looking back, money must have been a lot tighter, socks a lot more expensive, or just better made to make repair worthwhile. It's actually a good memory. Haven't done it in a long time since socks don't seem to get holes anymore, they just disintegrate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.