Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an e-mail exchange with the customer rep of Swaine Adeney, and she said Daines & Hathaway "has gone bust" just a couple of weeks ago. Came as a surprise to me because I placed an order just yesterday for one of their items through Sterling and Burke. I don't know what the deal is exactly (it's unconfirmed, but why would she lie to me?), but if it's true I feel bad. D&H had some spectacular stuff in their catalog...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Peter, your Swaine Adeney rep was not lying, sadly they have gone out of business.

Daines & Hathaway was owned by an English company who bought the business from Roy Hathaway (son of original Mr Hathaway), from 1991-2003, I worked for the parent company for 4 years from 92-96, and then they moved me into frojm Aug 96, to Aug 2004. I had spent 8 exciting years developing the business with one of the parent company owners.

In 2003 they were bought out by a private individual who clearly did have the ability to sustain what was originally put in place.

Although they decided I could no longer be part of the picture in 2004, I left them on good terms, and I had 2 accounts here in Vancouver who still carried D & H, and they are sad they can no longer carry a fine product in their stores.

If I had the $$$, I would buy that business from the receivers and put it back where it belongs!

There are other good companies in England who make excellent products and I would be happy to reccomend if your interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
oops!, a couple of typos on my last post, I hit submit instead of preview......

"they moved me into frojm Aug 96, to Aug 2004".......should read, they moved me into D & H from Aug 1996, where I was until Aug 2004.

"...In 2003 they were bought out by a private individual who clearly did have the ability to sustain what was originally put in place....." should read..... Who clearly did not have the ability to sustain what was originally put in place.

Bad English from an Englishman, not good!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
Wow this is terrible news. I have several D&H items and personally rated them and Whitehouse Cox as the very best of the general leather goods manufacturers.

How thoroughly depressing but thanks for posting this anyhow,

Chris.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Peter, your Swaine Adeney rep was not lying, sadly they have gone out of business.

Daines & Hathaway was owned by an English company who bought the business from Roy Hathaway (son of original Mr Hathaway), from 1991-2003, I worked for the parent company for 4 years from 92-96, and then they moved me into frojm Aug 96, to Aug 2004. I had spent 8 exciting years developing the business with one of the parent company owners.

In 2003 they were bought out by a private individual who clearly did have the ability to sustain what was originally put in place.

Although they decided I could no longer be part of the picture in 2004, I left them on good terms, and I had 2 accounts here in Vancouver who still carried D & H, and they are sad they can no longer carry a fine product in their stores.

If I had the $$$, I would buy that business from the receivers and put it back where it belongs!

There are other good companies in England who make excellent products and I would be happy to reccomend if your interested.
The weird thing is, Sterling & Burke processed my D&H order like there was no problem whatsoever. And it wasn't an item in stock; production will take six weeks, they said. I asked them about the bankruptcy, to which they have yet to return an answer. (And they usually answer promptly.)

I'm guessing that though the firm is officially terminated, the workshop hasn't closed completely just yet. Maybe the factory still owes Sterling & Burke a few more bags.

But, to respond to your kind offer, do feel free to share any information about other companies. I think I like bags almost as much as some of you like shoes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.