Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brooks Brothers, as is well known, currently is offering many of their 1818 at two for $999.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from CustomMen, in NYC, offering (what I take to be mtm) suits for $399.

Can anyone tell me what degree of quality and service I should expect from CustomMen, and how it compares to BB 1818?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone that offers a mtm suit for 399 i would stay far away
As a general rule, I would agree. Supposedly, however, this price represents an economy-induced discount on CustomMen's normal price. Also, Andy has recommended CustomMen. Apparently, however, he sent them a suit to replicate rather than being measured and fitted. Moreover, his positive experience doesn't provide a comparison with BB 1818.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what kind of fabric does 399 get you? They may be RTW, but the 1818 suits are made of nice fabrics.
I've e-mailed the following questions:

1. Is the jacket fully canvassed?

2. What brands of fabric are included at the $399 level? (I should think the Super 180's and up would be too delicate for regular wearing.)

3. What do you charge extra for, beyond the basic $399 price? And, how much do you charge? For example, does $399 include working button-holes on the jacket sleeves?
Are there any other questions I should ask?

·
Registered
330 Posts
My understanding is that their suits are made in China. Are you suggesting that all purchases, or all tailoring purchases, from China are morally problematic? Or, do you have some particular information regarding CustomMen's practices?
It was a joke (which I thought was obvious). $399 for MTM is ridiculously low. I'm not bringing morals into it or CustomMen's practices.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some answers to my questions from CustomMen.

1) The jacket is fully canvassed.

2) The Italian brands available at the $399 range are Gianni Milano, Caesar Romeo and Mario Vitalino. The English brands include John Cooper and the D.Collections from Savile Row, London.

3) They do not charge an extra fee for details like working button holes and so forth. But they do charge a shipping fee of $40 per suit to expedite the shipping process from overseas. (To me, this means they are charging $439 per suit.)

4) Their prices are based on a minimum purchase or three suits. The notion is that they're offering a fourth suit free.

As I wouldn't order three suits from a tailor with whom I'd never worked, I'll be asking for the single suit price.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What is their single suit price?

Cordovan

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
scwtlover:

I have two sport jackets and two coordinating trousers from CustomMen and am really pleased with them. The fabrics are great, the fit perfect and the style and quality is excellent!

I think the price is going to depend on your fabric choice and what features you want including the quality of construction.

See my comments and photos here:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/FrontPGArticles/Andy's Recommendations.htm

If you go with Vijay at CustomMen, make sure you tell him you came from AskAndy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
anyone that offers a mtm suit for 399 i would stay far away
I have done business with Vijay and his father, from Custom Men before. They have thier own factory and showroom, so they save on all the extra costs that other tailors charge. They offer great prices. The deal might sound almost too good to be true, but when I bought my new suits, I was explained that they just bought a whole lot of goods from a well known fabric house for less then the original cost price, and therefore have a Huge Clearance Sale for Custom Suits starting at $399. The regular price for these same suits would be around $800 or more so It's definitely worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.