Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to New York too late to visit AR Trapp. It's past time to replace my aging frames. Where should I go instead?

I visited E B Meyrowitz & Dell but they had only a handful of old Anglo-American frames and do not stock multiple sizes. One of the few they had did fit me well and I am considering buying that specific pair, but I'd like to be able to try more colors and sizes if there is anyone in the city with a better selection.

I'm somewhat open to other makers if they have something similar enough in shape to the AA 406. Meyrowitz does have their own line of frames which seemed nice but they start $425 just for the frames--more than double the price of the AAs.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Given the apparent size of the Manhattan Optical operation,
I'm surprised that they don't offer Randolph Engineering frames. However it does appear they carry several options that would be of interest to the OP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anglo American has undergone some changes. A fellow in Chicago named Peter Thomas has bought the company, or what is left of it, and runs it from the US. Or so he led me to believe in a telephone conversation.

If it matters, one way to tell if the 406 frames you have are made by the old company or under the new regime is the sizing. Old frames have odd numbers for the lense size; new frames have even numbers. For example, an old 45 is now labelled 46, even though the frame (lense) size is unchanged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the link to Manhattan Optical! I will certainly pay them a visit.

August West, thank you, but I'm leaning toward the Japanese Havana color.

I believe that AA has been based out of the Chicago suburbs (Evergreen Park) for at least a few years. My understanding is that the frames are still manufactured in England.

At E. B. Meyrowitz I tried on three frames (all they had!) in different colors, all nominally sized 46. One was much smaller than the others, and I'm not really sure what to make of that. I mentioned it to the optician there and she told me that she wasn't surprised. She kind of rolled her eyes and implied that she thought AA was an erratic operation. This is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to order online and would prefer to see the specific frames I'm buying in person.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, AA frames are still made in England. But as I recall, Peter Thomas told a somewhat involved tale of changes in ownership. My impression was that manufacturing facilities had changed also.

In October 2017, I bought some AA 406 frames directly from him- the Chicago outfit. I was somewhat surprised that the sizing was an odd number, implying they were old production. In any case, they are identical to what I bought 7 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.